Magickers discovering spell combos: Symbol command.

Started by RogueGunslinger, June 21, 2016, 12:03:34 PM

I'd rather we introduce new mechanics that reward accumulation of game lore and thematic understanding instead of commodifying a set of semi-arbitrary words to benefit a rather shallow path of 'discovery', or, in undesirable cases, rewarding OOC exchange of information or brute-force solving and recording of keywords.

In the end also, the theme around words of power didn't really mesh with the documentation around elementalists as people inherently connected to their element and discovering their power through an intuitive understanding. It'd be preferable if we could find ways to make the journey of discovery for elementalists fit with this and be distinct from that experienced by sorcerers.

Quote from: Rathustra on June 25, 2016, 02:58:34 PM
I'd rather we introduce new mechanics that reward accumulation of game lore and thematic understanding instead of commodifying a set of semi-arbitrary words to benefit a rather shallow path of 'discovery', or, in undesirable cases, rewarding OOC exchange of information or brute-force solving and recording of keywords.

In the end also, the theme around words of power didn't really mesh with the documentation around elementalists as people inherently connected to their element and discovering their power through an intuitive understanding. It'd be preferable if we could find ways to make the journey of discovery for elementalists fit with this and be distinct from that experienced by sorcerers.

I'd love to see that. I mean really really seriously love it.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I've had several elementalists, that never really got very far at all with the whole word finding thing. most of my rp was seeking to solve that riddle. to try and learn what this word means, or which ones to string together.

I still haven't played a magicker since then cause as much as I love puzzle solving, being unable to do what my pc was intended to do sucked. Was few gemmed around, though was npc's teachers that taught nothing, and for the most part overall, the experiences turned me off to foul 'gickers.

I dont' feel that I am alone in this experience, though some love the struggle, the excitement of puzzling it all out. Do I like this new symbol command yes. Why do I like it cause it's easy street, quick and simple no.

I like it cause if I can't figure out the words after a while, I don't have to struggle and strain and beat my head bloody against a wall. I can turn to an npc gicker, and rp with them, then use the symbol command.

to sum it up those that like puzzles that are drawn to it will be those most likely to do something similair. those that don't like beating their heads against the wall will use it, to fast tract themselves.
It's much the same for all our rp'ers, those that set and toss out emotes when crafting, or when teaching someone to bandage will do that. those that just spam craft will continue to spam craft.

We do what is in are nature to do, we like what we like, and do what we want, and what's in our nature. I am glad that staff implemented this to fit everyone, we know it's there, it's great to ease frustration. Some will use it, some won't. Some will grow by leaps and bounds others, will play for rl weeks, months and struggle to learn how to do that one thing, while his/her fellah new  made gicker blazes past them. (recommends killiing that one, how dare they learn faster, and with less of a struggle)
Sweet chaos let it unfold upon the land.
Guided forever by my adoring loving hand.
It is I the nightmare that sleeps but shall wake.

Quote from: Rathustra on June 25, 2016, 02:58:34 PM

We could... also make people "feel" certain ways during casting certain spells?
Maybe new "side-effects" or something that fit in with this lore of magick.

self-discovery and exploring the nature of the world, I wanna say, isn't as easy as using the think command, but... it really helps.
I'm also being ironic when I use the term "think command". Everything makes sense if you pretend you're a fairy.
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors