Player Magnet

Started by deathkamon, June 15, 2016, 02:22:05 PM

How should we attract/keep more players towards Armageddon?

An HRPT
15 (23.4%)
Advertisements
12 (18.8%)
Excitement Injection
24 (37.5%)
Other (Please state in a reply)
8 (12.5%)
The playerbase is fine as is
5 (7.8%)

Total Members Voted: 64

My brother recently gave Armageddon a try (not a very long one) but he did attempt it and has intentions of coming back, I mostly watched him for the first couple of days to help him with the syntax and teach him some of the stuff he didn't get out of the documentation. He got the full Byn experience and thought it was pretty rad. Watching him get ig though was my first time seeing the newbie help course though which I thought was pretty cool. He sat around in there practicing some of the talking and emoting syntax for awhile. At one point a staffer hopped in and helped make things a bit more interactive while he was learning which was awesome.

An ooc lounge on MUDs is always pretty cool IMO, SoI's is the only reason I gave that MUD a try cause the helpful players there helped draw me into the game. I wouldn't be against the idea of Armageddon having something similar where newbies could chat with players and ask some questions or talk about the latest vidya games or whatever.

Our newbie training course though was pretty cool, I somehow never noticed that it was implimented.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

I'm very pro the idea of a 'characterless' lounge.  You can only go in there while you don't have a pc/waiting on approval.  Dork around, practice for newbies with snytax and help files, maybe gab with staff if they are idling there.  If done tastefully and right, fun.

Quote from: Kryos on July 10, 2016, 02:39:49 AM
I'm very pro the idea of a 'characterless' lounge.  You can only go in there while you don't have a pc/waiting on approval.  Dork around, practice for newbies with snytax and help files, maybe gab with staff if they are idling there.  If done tastefully and right, fun.
I just shitpost with Rath whenever he's on the teamspeak, It's basically the same thing.
If the teamspeak was more inforced as a 'helpers chat without the helpers chat where you can have fun' people would get on it more, probably.

I just shitpost with Rath whenever he's on the teamspeak, It's basically the same thing.
If the teamspeak was more inforced as a 'helpers chat without the helpers chat where you can have fun' people would get on it more, probably.

cannot stand voice comms, personally.  Don't like talking on 'em, don't like listening to other people talk.  I'm really quite antisocial IRL.  I have a problem.
"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson

Quote from: 650Booger on July 10, 2016, 02:37:11 PM

cannot stand voice comms, personally.  Don't like talking on 'em, don't like listening to other people talk.  I'm really quite antisocial IRL.  I have a problem.

Same here. I'm hearing impaired and read lips to distinguish words. If I can't see them talking, it all sounds like muddled gibberish. Which - it might actually be, in which case I'm hearing them perfectly. :)
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

If it makes you feel better most of the time we just type or one of the fuckers is playing a game and keeps hitting his push to talk key.

Make a custom client, spiff up the UI just a bit and put Armageddon on steam. A lot of people randomly brows games on steam, I think it would greatly increase population.

If that were a priority, I think having Arm added to mudlet's default listing of MUD's would be easy. As yet, it still isn't.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Oh my god a custom (and customizable) client on Steam would be amazing.

I messed around on some of the games that get hundreds of players at a time to see what the big deal was. Even went back to one of my first muds, Dragonrealms (related to gemstone iv on TMS), to see what's drawing such numbers. All signs point to what a lot of people said earlier in this thread: staff-run events. They hold closer to the GM-player relationship you'll find in a classic roleplaying game, where the action is presented by the facilitators on a big delicious platter and the excitement comes from how the players react to it. It doesn't even have to be a big boring war or a world-changing event, just the fact that things are always happening, that special quests are available that might win a player some unique trophy or bragging rights. I think there's still a collective memory of a bad taste going around the old guard here regarding what happens when you plan something big and a handful of troublemaker players in important roles ruin it for you.

Also pets and microtransactions, but we can skip that.

I think this would help retain people who keep killing their characters to exploration dehydration like I did. I had to come back twice in order to be hooked, simply because character approval takes a day. People who begin the game by trying to kill mekillots would also benefit from this. Just learn how to sit table, maybe have a few regenerating items in the room such as 'a kalan fruit' and 'a head-sized piece of grey stone' for people to mess with/eat/equip/put on tables, read the damn mekillot helpfile, things like that.
Do yourself a favor, and play Resident Evil 4 again.

Quote from: a french mans shirt on October 02, 2016, 11:54:41 PM

I think this would help retain people who keep killing their characters to exploration dehydration like I did. I had to come back twice in order to be hooked, simply because character approval takes a day. People who begin the game by trying to kill mekillots would also benefit from this. Just learn how to sit table, maybe have a few regenerating items in the room such as 'a kalan fruit' and 'a head-sized piece of grey stone' for people to mess with/eat/equip/put on tables, read the damn mekillot helpfile, things like that.

Additionally it would help us tweakers who are between characters and waiting on spec. Apps. Super pro this idea at least to drop the learning curve a smidgen.
He is an individual cool cat. A cat who has taken more than nine lives.