38 (62.3%)
No
15 (24.6%)
Maybe
7 (11.5%)
Other (please explain)
1 (1.6%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Quote from: Dresan on June 19, 2016, 12:21:25 AMICly allanak has won. There are no threats it needs to give a shit about currently. A castle full of monsters is nothing more than a boring chore left to disposable people. High society in allanak gives more of a shit about what colour of shoes to wear tomorrow then finding long lost treasure or resources outside the city.  I remember I was trying to offer a noble information, goods, rare resources in exchange for some protection...not interested in the least.

You're saying it has won against external threats. What you're neglecting to consider is the internal conflict. It's not looking at the city of Allanak, but rather the conflict between groups within the city. No noble House has won, because there are always new challenges against them. They can always continue to try to fuck over their competitors while advancing themselves.

Personally, I feel that with Tuluk's close, there was the hope that the internal conflict in Allanak would take on new dimensions. There's a lot of potential. Additionally, there's an entirely new clan that was created, external from Allanak, but providing a potential source of conflict--If the players chose to pursue it.

There's a lot of inner-House conflict right now. There's the potential for a lot more. I think that one of the problems with people thinking the world is "too static" is because they want to have a unified city against a scary outsider.

QuoteTuluk(and its nobles and leadership) had reason to be interested in what was going on around it: resources, stronger allies, new technology, or new information. They would have gotten involved, if only for a slimer of a chance to remain a step ahead of their mortal enemy allanak, who could attack at any moment with strong army and magicks. Allanak has no such fears, it barely did when Tuluk was around. Now with tuluk fighting itself, its got everything it needs. Anything involving allanak just feels petty in the grand scheme of things because it is petty. There is no need to be ambitious.

While Tuluk was focusing on acts against Allanak, you're also missing a huge portion of the inner-city workings. The noble Houses of the time were all plotting with or against each other. For example, when the cotton fields were burnt to the ground by Allanak, Dasari had to work to rebuild. Would they hire Tenneshi? Would they use Winrothol labor? Would Kassigarh approve the loan? That's one noble House with a goal, and three others trying to hope they got the best deal (Winrothol and Tenneshi wanting to be hired, Kassiargh trying to influence things because they didn't like people and wanted to stay ahead). Tuluk DID work against Allanak, but there were incredible inner-city dynamics at work, sometimes to the determent of the overall goal of war against an external foe.

QuoteAlthough i think some of the changes will hopefully begin to set the stage for more dynamics within allanak, ultimately allanak needs to pay for its arrogance and decadence. Once allanak doesn't feel completely untouchable anymore, many of the things that are happening in and around allanak won't feel so petty anymore, and maybe then the leadership can focus on something other than throwing another party.

Allanak has won against you, because you believe it is untouchable. Fact: It isn't.

When Tuluk closed, Allanak was being ripped apart by civil war as the Red Robes tried to determine who would be the next Black Robe. There were massive amounts of rioting on the streets. Anti-Allanak PCs could have taken advantage of this and pushed things further. In the past, incredible results have come from players deciding they want to screw things up. There's a PC-based reason we have no Trader's Inn. The fact is, most people OOCly assume Allanak is unbeatable and so as a result, they do not make PCs with that sort of goal.

As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

Quote from: Dresan on June 19, 2016, 12:21:25 AM
Its been said this before, allanak is at the peak of decadence. It is the current state of this last untouchable city that makes the entire world feel static.

ICly allanak has won. There are no threats it needs to give a shit about currently. A castle full of monsters is nothing more than a boring chore left to disposable people. High society in allanak gives more of a shit about what colour of shoes to wear tomorrow then finding long lost treasure or resources outside the city.

This was true a long time ago, but far less so now. In its heyday Allanak literally owned the entire Known World. You could find NPC Allanaki soldiers in Luir's, in the Gol Krathu, the Mantis Valley and even more remote places than this. That was the time when Allanak had "won" and when it was the height of decadence. These days it's a diminished city-state, a mere shadow of what it once was with threats in every direction.

Whether people choose to play it that way or not may be different story.

You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Traven, I don't disagree with you that Allanak, has some inner city workings, hopefully more now with the Templar changes. But those inner city workings feel petty. Snobs fighting over things that the general masses don't know about or don't care about. Whether one black robe takes over another means absolutely nothing to my grebber at the end of the day. The laser light show in the sky was okay I guess.

Having played in tuluk almost exclusively before the war ended, I agree with you about Tuluk's inner city workings. I remember a certain noble wanting to give out free water to the public. A little event they wanted to throw. It was stopped and this other well known fat noble from a separate house was walking around that same day the event was supposed to go on asking people if they were here about water, which the other noble failed to promise. The inner workings of Tuluk political system forced nobles to compete against each other in the public's eye, making them want more toys and resources and such, you are right it wasn't all about allanak.

In Allanak, whether the public in general is involved or knows about squabbles between the nobles doesn't matter.  The nobility are playing in their own little world where no one else matters but them, sometimes this means that the masses below them get tosses a couple quests because of their actions. Trickle down economics for plots, is not that great in my opinion.  

Allanak, its noble houses, institutions and to a certain extended the merchant houses(within allanak)  feels static and untouchable. Again my point was that its not that things (plots) aren't happening in and around the city, its just the setting and status of the city that makes everything feel like: Meh.  If allanak wasn't as big as it is, many of those smaller plots would probably mean a lot more then they do.  I fully acknowledge this is just my opinion and I assure you I am hoping to see something that makes me feel otherwise. However, these were my feelings before I took a couple months off, I haven't seen anything to make me think otherwise yet.

Oh and thank you for your constructive criticism Patuk, always encouraging to come back to this GDB, participate in the forums and get your level of feedback.

Quote from: Dresan on June 19, 2016, 05:35:49 AM
Again my point was that its not that things (plots) aren't happening in and around the city, its just the setting and status of the city that makes everything feel like: Meh.

I think that's what I'm getting from Allanak too and I think that's why it's feels static.  Or I'm playing the wrong characters at the wrong times.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: Dresan on June 19, 2016, 05:35:49 AMTraven, I don't disagree with you that Allanak, has some inner city workings, hopefully more now with the Templar changes. But those inner city workings feel petty. Snobs fighting over things that the general masses don't know about or don't care about. Whether one black robe takes over another means absolutely nothing to my grebber at the end of the day. The laser light show in the sky was okay I guess.

But that's the thing... It obviously WAS having an impact. There were dangerous, nasty magickal creatures about, rampaging the city. There was a show of utter callousness towards the commoner. The reason your vNPC was taking up and throwing firebombs is because they were VERY unhappy. Yes, the plot was more accessible if you were in a noble House, or the Atrium, or a GMH. All of these places were directly impacted and could help influence the results. But at the end of the day, Amos Grebber had a reason to be involved, too, because the city was not safe.

Once a new Exalted Lord (re: Black Robe) ascended, things calmed down. But they didn't have to. The thing is, even player of Amos Grebber doesn't want to stand against Allanak, because he's worried about dying. He doesn't want to be a rebel, because it's hard, and dangerous, and he could die. Basically, Majikal's post sums it up fabulously.

QuoteIn Allanak, whether the public in general is involved or knows about squabbles between the nobles doesn't matter.  The nobility are playing in their own little world where no one else matters but them, sometimes this means that the masses below them get tosses a couple quests because of their actions. Trickle down economics for plots, is not that great in my opinion.

I have a hard time reading this and understanding where you're coming from, to be honest. Let's take a look at Allanak's set up:

• Templars/AoD/City      (Reasons to be involved politically, reasons to be involved externally - threats, trade, etc)
  • Noble Houses      (Reasons to be involved politically)
  • Merchant Houses, Atrium included      (Resource competition, external holdings, reasons to have some political involvement)
  • Tzai Byn      (Directly benefiting from the needs of every other group, possibility for conflict externally and internally)
  • The Guild      (Directly benefiting from needs of other groups, potential to cause conflict)
  • Random unaffiliated      (Less involved with everything, because they have not earned trust and don't have more influential connections)

If you're a random nobody, you will probably see less plots. Why? Because you're giving up clan connections in favor of no rules or restrictions. You are actively choosing to limit your plot opportunities in favor of being unaffiliated. However, even an unaffiliated person can get significant connections to clan plots, if they develop the right contacts.

However, it takes a lot more work then just being in a clan does. This is by design. If you want access to the most plots, join a clan. Alternatively, work to make your own group of people and make things happen. If you're not working for it, you're not going to see anything.

QuoteAllanak, its noble houses, institutions and to a certain extended the merchant houses(within allanak)  feels static and untouchable. Again my point was that its not that things (plots) aren't happening in and around the city, its just the setting and status of the city that makes everything feel like: Meh.  If allanak wasn't as big as it is, many of those smaller plots would probably mean a lot more then they do.  I fully acknowledge this is just my opinion and I assure you I am hoping to see something that makes me feel otherwise. However, these were my feelings before I took a couple months off, I haven't seen anything to make me think otherwise yet.

Oh and thank you for your constructive criticism Patuk, always encouraging to come back to this GDB, participate in the forums and get your level of feedback.

Depending on where and how you're playing, it may feel "Meh". I'd recommend varying it up some. Try playing something else you haven't in awhile. Try approaching it with the mindset of getting involved a lot, or getting others involved a lot.

Allanak is big, and it is established. I agree that this does make it harder for things to change. But regardless of size, it wouldn't have a new thing to threaten it every single week, because that would take the enjoyment out of it. It would make it routine, and it would still be static.

If you long for the feeling of vulnerability and the dangers of the Known against you, there's opportunities for that. The most direct way to do this would be to play a tribal. See first hand how things in the Tablelands shook it all up.

Oh, please. This entire thread is discouraging, you're not special in this. This entire thread has come to the point where people are arguing about the amount of sweating someone needs to do before they may be graced with milk and honey from above. Things that don't involve fucking templars and whatnot? People many, many sorts never even deal with? Nah man, nobles. Nevermind that it's been said here before the damn atrium can't even keep people in. That Salarr's most recent presence on the Allanaki board has it bribing people just to join up. Getting people to suck up and be all nice to some people who were sponsored into their role, that's sure to make people appreciate the game.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Quote from: Taven on June 19, 2016, 09:13:18 AM
But at the end of the day, Amos Grebber had a reason to be involved, too, because the city was not safe.

I can't speak to much about this plot other than what my character saw.  The main thing I remember is being pretty confused about how to interpret the events from the perspective of Amos Grebber.  Why were people upset?  How could I get my character involved in that aspect of the plot?  Even though I was involved in the main fighting in the street, my character had no idea what was going on -- why were they fighting?  Things were even worse for characters who missed the animations -- some of the riots weren't even documented in rumor posts.  So some Amos Grebbers didn't even know the basics that people were rioting in the streets.

It wasn't so much a fear of dying, it was a lack of information to help inform RP.

A similar thing happened with the tablelands plot at one point.

So, suggestions?

o If you are in a clan, and a leader, you can request clarification.  But if you aren't in a clan, and not a leader...

o Rumor boards, rumor boards, rumor boards.

o Err on the side of too much information rather than too little?

o Animate a commoner vNPC/NPC to show (or even tell) the general feel (e.g., someone at the bar).
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

June 19, 2016, 09:35:41 AM #83 Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 09:45:40 AM by Taven
Quote from: Barsook on June 19, 2016, 09:12:17 AM
Again my point was that its not that things (plots) aren't happening in and around the city, its just the setting and status of the city that makes everything feel like: Meh.

I think that's what I'm getting from Allanak too and I think that's why it's feels static.  Or I'm playing the wrong characters at the wrong times.

So if we're all in agreement that plots are happening, what exactly do we mean by "static"?

There aren't a lot of huge changes to the city because of the size and scope, it's true. But I've already talked about how Allanak isn't invincible. You could make a PC with the goal of acting against it and stirring things up. People generally don't do that.

It feels like what people mostly want is an external threat that can be banded together against, so everyone can be on the same "team". Those plots are fine and great, but they're also comfort food plots. They're plots that people can feel good about, because it gives everyone a chance to act together and work towards something together, usually against an NPC threat. And hey--I like those plots at times too. It can be invigorating. But not every plot can be like that.

If everyone feels the world is so static, why not try to change it up? Here's some ideas:

• Make a family role with people who also want to shake things up
  • Join a House, make connections, and use them to bring down the status of Houses against you
  • Join a House, make connections, and then work on the type of plot you want -- Visible and impacting Amos Grebber
  • Apply for a LEADER who has some radical ideas on what they want to do. Be patient, and work towards making those ideas reality.
  • Work to make your own House, make connections, and get involved in plots and plans
  • Play somewhere "smaller" that isn't Allanak: Tribes, Luirs, Red Storm, or a PC dedicated to the 'Rinth
  • Play someone with a crazy and specific goal, which by the nature of the goal, involves drawing other people in

Any of these have a lot of options within them. There's three key things needed for success:

1. Imagination. You need to be able to imagine creative new things. Think about what you would want to see and how to make it happen. Think about a fresh, vibrant new PC concept, and how it could make the world not just less static, but invigorating.

2. Connections. Your ability to be involved, inside a clan or outside of it, leader or minion, is directly correlated with what connections you can make. If you can convince other people that what you're trying to is worthwhile, then you're a lot more likely to see things happen. If you don't have the connections, you don't have the resources, and this often means you won't succeed. Often times this is a large obstacle, because it doesn't depend on your PC's ability, it depends on your RL ability, which is reflected in your PC's ability. Charisma is something that can't be pretended, unlike strength or speed.

3. Patience/Perseverance/Flexibility. Yes, technically that's a bunch of things, but they're all in the same category or group. Basically, no plot ever goes the way you expect it to. Some ideas, as originally conceived, may be impossible. Others may just take a lot longer then you expected. You also need to watch yourself, because a lot of times when staff says something from an IC source that is even mildly discouraging, it's taken as a "no" rather then "this IC source needs to be shown the value". Don't be afraid to ask staff for clarification. Dedication to your goal can see amazing things happen... And yes, sometimes expect that you may need to alter goals. Keeping at it is what sets apart those who do amazing things, and those who don't do much of anything.

Quote from: nauta on June 19, 2016, 09:30:24 AMIt wasn't so much a fear of dying, it was a lack of information to help inform RP.

So, suggestions?

o If you are in a clan, and a leader, you can request clarification.  But if you aren't in a clan, and not a leader...
o Rumor boards, rumor boards, rumor boards.
o Err on the side of too much information rather than too little?
o Animate a commoner vNPC/NPC to show (or even tell) the general feel (e.g., someone at the bar).

Those are a lot of good suggestions for people involved with and running plots. Here's some ideas for Amos Grebber who can't see a plot:

• Send in a request to staff and ask for details about what the common Amos would know or have seen, or wish up for an animation about it
  • Ask other PCs who are more involved and might know what's happening
  • If this information is supposed to be widely-known, make your own rumorboard post about it
  • If this information isn't widely-known, have your PC become the local tavern gossip monger, ICly play out the spread of info, then make a limited rumorboard about it

Quote from: Patuk on June 19, 2016, 09:28:32 AM

Oh, please. This entire thread is discouraging, you're not special in this. This entire thread has come to the point where people are arguing about the amount of sweating someone needs to do before they may be graced with milk and honey from above. Things that don't involve fucking templars and whatnot? People many, many sorts never even deal with? Nah man, nobles. Nevermind that it's been said here before the damn atrium can't even keep people in. That Salarr's most recent presence on the Allanaki board has it bribing people just to join up. Getting people to suck up and be all nice to some people who were sponsored into their role, that's sure to make people appreciate the game.

You are entitled to your opinion, as is everyone else is to their own. Please keep the trolling to a minimun and at the very least not directed at me. Thank you.

Just pointing out it was an Exalted Lady (maybe two) that ascended. Take that, sexism!
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Plots are relative.

This morning while I was in my garden, I watched a mockingbird drive a roadrunner out of its territory. It just kept divebombing the roadrunner until it finally moved off down the wadi. Why would it do that? Because roadrunners eat baby chicks that fall out of the nest.

So while I may turn on the radio and hear things about ISIS killers on the rampage or this or that personality going on about financial collapse, to the mockingbird the biggest threat to its existence is that roadrunner. NOT an ISIS shooting.

What I'm trying to illustrate is that all of these plots I hear about seem to think TOO BIG. Tuluk infiltrating Allanaki society with shadow artist killers? How does my alcoholic Gaj-sitting grebber even get a handle on that? Why would he care? Someone seeing a wounded mekillot angrily roaming the salt flats? Now that's a BIG threat to the grebber and a plot he would care about.

Frankly, Arm, you suck at level 1 fetch quests. Saving the world from Sauron is all well and good, but someone's got to go get Miss Wagglefoot's special tea delivery from Hobbiton.

June 19, 2016, 12:35:14 PM #88 Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 02:34:46 PM by Dresan
Taven,

The only reason I am back is because my solution to allanak even before my break was not get involved with allanak. I had a ton of fun with my last character playing outside of allanak, he was involved in some pretty epic shit if you ask me. My character was also the one who brought back information for those snobs in allanak dealing with politics. I regret that though. On one on side of the known my character is dealing with armies of gith, and in allanak all they care about is whether snobby mc snob is annoyed I didn't give them the respect they deserve. If i ever roll a similar character, I will not even bother starting them in allanak.

Again its not that nothing is going on in allanak, its not that I feel anyone there is RPing wrong or not doing their part. Its just because of Allanak's success, noble houses, merchant houses, magickers, highlord  and its over all status in the world, everything surrounding allanak feels petty and status quo. It just feels boring, unlike when things happen in other areas of the game.  

I am talking about allanak specifically though, not the entire game or the known.  Its just a shame that allanak is a big part of the what makes the game. Luckily its not the only part, and I'm having fun in those other parts. :)

I voted for the game feeling static, but I imagine that is due to how I prefer to role-play and the "scale" that I am most comfortable with playing.  Tribal conflict and events between small villages or groups within the desert?  Yes, please.  Actions just seem more, there.  More meaningful, more valuable, more of an impact.

That is not to say you cannot do this, or that it does not get done, within the city.  The small number of our player base makes this sort of thing a reality.  But, to me there is something more satisfying in a scene between the only inhabitants within ten square miles of open waste or desert vs. the only player inhabitants within a tenement filled with vNPCs.  Conflict between two tribes could lead to one being destroyed, but their names still live on in the victory songs and histories of those who won.  I get a feeling of walking the paths of forgotten people.  It's more of an "adventure" feel, as I mean in the classical, gamey sense of tabletop adventures.

Meh..maybe I'm too influenced by Dark Sun where the cities were a place you actively opposed, you avoided or only stopped in to look for quest hooks and get equipment.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Pale Horse brings up an interesting thought - with relation to Dark Sun comparisons.

I'm starting to wonder if maybe my long-term enjoyment of Arm is precisely because I'd never even heard of Dark Sun til I started playing Arm. I still don't know anything about it, OTHER than what people post here on the GDB. I mean, I know it's a game, one of those Swords and Sorcery card games you play on a tabletop with weird-looking dice.

I have nothing to compare Armageddon with, and so I can't be disappointed that it doesn't measure up. For me, Armageddon is its own unique entity. I can only compare it with other muds that I've played. And as such, it's the best one I've played, ever. And I've played a few - been a head builder on a couple, storyteller on one. I've tried some of the other RPIs, I've tried H&Ss, I even tried a furry muck or mush or whatever they call them, mostly out of morbid curiosity.

Regardless of the changes that I don't like, Arm still remains my favorite. I'd have to guess that if Arm shut down, I'd just stop playing muds entirely.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Dresan on June 19, 2016, 12:35:14 PMAgain its not that nothing is going on in allanak, its not that I feel anyone there is RPing wrong or not doing their part. Its just because of Allanak's success, noble houses, merchant houses, magickers, highlord  and its over all status in the world, everything surrounding allanak feels petty and status quo. It just feels boring, unlike when things happen in other areas of the game.  

I am talking about allanak specifically though, not the entire game or the known.  Its just a shame that allanak is a big part of the what makes the game. Luckily its not the only part, and I'm having fun in those other parts. :)

Honestly, it doesn't sound like you think the world setting is static. It sounds like you just personally dislike the world setting in regards to Allanak, which is a different thing entirely.

I'm glad you're able to have fun elsewhere.

Arm and Dark Sun are not very similar any more, Lizzie. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

June 20, 2016, 04:37:32 AM #93 Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 11:57:28 PM by Kalden
I first started Armageddon in 2003; my first long-lived character was a ranger in the Byn. He lasted maybe 15-20 days of playing time, and I never really found it exciting.

After trying out a few other things, I settled into my rhythm: alternating between Armageddon 'rinth sneaky characters (eventually, and especially after boredom when I completely maxxed a pickpocket, mostly assassins), and desert elf rangers (often the Soh Lanah Kah).

Both of these types of characters are extremely fun with an decent potential for plots and world-changing. If you're in a desert elf tribe, you don't care that Allanak has won. You've got your own plot of land and you're trying to build and protect your community.

If you're in the 'rinth, you are in theory at the heart of the backstabbing inner-city politics that this game wishes it was about. Yes, it takes patience. If you play in the 'rinth, you'll need to get decent and build a team before you can start throwing your weight around. And it takes careful thought to live long, so most players don't. Plus, you might need to think outside the box and really internalize the mix of desperation, cruelty, and paranoia to build your character and survive.

I started my first character on Am since 2011 a few months ago. My last character (in 2011) was the Guild boss at the time, and when I died was starting to talk about putting in a better framework for how the Guild works and allow it build a sense of continuity between generations. I guess most people don't know much about the Guild, but it seems from threads like this that we can say that it doesn't seem to be stirring up a lot of plotting, and it doesn't seem to be a scary and formidable presence. I played under it when it was led by a legendary assassin named Serpent, but I didn't find it all that exciting even then.

I played in the Guild dozens of times, and led it multiple times. When it is powerful, the game can feel a fair bit different.

The thing is that it takes a team, and my team rarely survived long enough to get good enough (or I didn't). Ideally, nobody southside really knows who the leader of the Guild is. All they know is that there are (at least two) powerful (sneaky but dangerous) people waiting in the wings to avenge whoever is actually willing to show their face in person. Of course, if you're the leader you will actually end up having to do a lot of conversations, but in my experience doing those conversations in person will lead to an untimely death.

So in-person meetings need to be done by expendables. If those expendables aren't treated nicely? Several innocent citizens mysteriously - or quite obviously - disappear - aides, merchants, or what have you. Or poisoned daggers start flying at people at unexpected times. At that point the Guild is actually taken seriously and things get pretty interesting.

In my experience, it was very rarely like that. I do remember there was one guy I worked under - sdesc "dark man" or something really simple. He was said to have like a hundred PKs or something. I think that was sort of happening under him. I do recall that my first Guild character (a southsider) was taken quite randomly by a staffer, dressed up real fancy, and ordered to be the "face" (an expendable) for the Guild collecting protection from the nobles. I don't remember how that ended up working out; I think he got tossed into the Arena. We didn't really have the muscle.

I'm not sure I have much of a point. The Labyrinth has improved a bit, but it should have cheaper apartments down south. It should also have more expensive apartments available - it should be a place of inequality, since it does have some bad mothers who are rich enough to afford the best security possible.

Also, the Labyrinth is not hard to survive in. If you don't explore the desert, you can survive a long time - your biggest risk is starvation/dehydration which might drive you to do something risky like mine. Usually it's extremely uncommon for people to randomly backstab other people. Granted, if I was the most powerful presence around, I would usually be collecting protection money. Mostly I've died due to (1) being stupid and meeting people in person that I shouldn't, (2) something stupid like sparring with a live weapon (once), or (3) the rare twink who just likes to kill people for no real reason.

As far as (3), there was sometimes at least one character (usually an elf, sometimes a dwarf) who feels like randomly backstabbing PCs is their form of roleplay, but that wasn't too common, and once you've built up skills you can do a pretty good job avoiding it. Admittedly, staff don't really care about twinks in the 'rinth, and these characters can one-hit-kill you. I lost my last character to a random maxxed assassin dwarf who randomly logged in to kill things in the 'rinth every so often and nothing else. I'd known he'd been around for a while as I'd sometimes shadow him and watched him kill randomly shit, but there nothing really to do. On Armageddon coded skills are godly, and even with a l33t poison (which I probably didn't have, can't remember) it's too risky. So one day I was shadowing a couple of newbish "associates" and they got jumped; I jumped in to support with a solid backstab and got completely owned because I'd spent too much time plotting and not enough time sparring.

The 'rinth is probably my least favorite spot in the game. It's too small for the action that should realistically take place there, and the alleys and rooftops don't line up in a Euclidean fashion so it makes mapping a real pain.

It's either empty and boring or not empty and very deadly.

Quote from: Miradus on June 20, 2016, 03:26:00 PM
The 'rinth is probably my least favorite spot in the game. It's too small for the action that should realistically take place there, and the alleys and rooftops don't line up in a Euclidean fashion so it makes mapping a real pain.

#rinthisforhardcores

I used to have a tough time in the 'rinth. I think it takes a good cast and crew there to make the place really get it and come to life. Otherwise, yes, it is probably the best example of a static area of the game. Without PCs, it is lifeless.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Reiloth on June 20, 2016, 04:45:45 PM

#rinthisforhardcores

I used to have a tough time in the 'rinth. I think it takes a good cast and crew there to make the place really get it and come to life. Otherwise, yes, it is probably the best example of a static area of the game. Without PCs, it is lifeless.

The NPCs used to murder each other a lot. But staff gave them some meds so they're better now.

Except that one guy.

Quote from: Yam on June 20, 2016, 04:49:14 PM
Quote from: Reiloth on June 20, 2016, 04:45:45 PM

#rinthisforhardcores

The NPCs used to murder each other a lot. But staff gave them some meds so they're better now.

Except that one guy.

Fuck that guy.

Also, Miradus, your comment about Arm sucking at level 1 fetch quests will have me lolling until my great grandson gets his 4th cybernetic implant.

There is literally no quest more common in the game.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Heh. I need to find the guy with the yellow question mark over his head then.

June 21, 2016, 09:08:07 PM #99 Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 09:19:28 PM by Dresan
Quote from: Taven on June 19, 2016, 11:14:50 PM
Quote from: Dresan on June 19, 2016, 12:35:14 PMAgain its not that nothing is going on in allanak, its not that I feel anyone there is RPing wrong or not doing their part. Its just because of Allanak's success, noble houses, merchant houses, magickers, highlord  and its over all status in the world, everything surrounding allanak feels petty and status quo. It just feels boring, unlike when things happen in other areas of the game.  

Honestly, it doesn't sound like you think the world setting is static. It sounds like you just personally dislike the world setting in regards to Allanak, which is a different thing entirely.

I'm glad you're able to have fun elsewhere.

Now we are on the same page.  :-*

In my mind the only thing that allanak is missing is a huge rome style bathhouse. With fountains and pools, just a grand place with constant water running, all for the rich and influencial. The water of course would come at the cost of forcing thousands of its citizens to go thirsty. Its completely insane but that the level of utter depravity I see allanak reaching I feel. With obscene amounts of arrogance and decadence, and with its leadership fighting over petty titles and meaningless status, all the while maintaining the overall status quo.

Anyone challenging that status quo is dealt with harshly, which makes any place outside the reach of allanak's authority (like redstorm) invaluable. Its a boring setting for me to play in but there is actually nothing wrong the cities setting, I'm sure many enjoy it. Allanak's biggest enemy is not some castle full of monsters, or an army of marching from whereever, Allanak's worst enemy is basically itself at this point.

Unfortunately, to me that just happens to be a story best enjoyed from distance but thats okay because I don't feel its going to last forever. :)