Shields

Started by nauta, May 24, 2016, 10:19:07 AM

1. I could be wrong, but I don't think you can 'disarm' a shield.  This should be a thing -- harder than disarming a weapon.

2. 'sheath shield back'

3. Allow shields to have <over shoulder> slot.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Quote from: nauta on May 24, 2016, 10:19:07 AM
1. I could be wrong, but I don't think you can 'disarm' a shield.  This should be a thing -- harder than disarming a weapon.

2. 'sheath shield back'

3. Allow shields to have <over shoulder> slot.

Sheathe Shield Back - Yes
Shield Over The Shoulder - Sure, why not.

Disarming shields......no.

Sundering shields....yes.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Quote from: Desertman on May 24, 2016, 10:36:58 AM
Disarming shields......no.

Sundering shields....yes.

Agreed.  Generally you would have more luck "breaking" the shield to the extent that it was just hanging off your opponent's forearm that "disarming" something attached at the wrist and forearm. 

Bucklers, maybe, as they are held more than worn.

Being able to "draw" a shield should be a thing.
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

Now sunder is just a wonderful word. I haven't heard that one in ages.
"Hello, you fellows! You're the very animals I was coming to see! Come along! Hop up! We'll go for a jolly ride! The open road, the dusty highway. Come! I'll show you the world. Travel, change, excitement..!" -Wind in the Willows

Shields should break much faster. If your axe can shop that easily through my armor for 30 hp it should decimate my shield in a few strikes.

However they should never really break beyond being repairable.

Would also be cool if certain weapons were designed to disable shields, like a Pilum.

Shields should certainly be able to break beyond repairable. A weapon designed to destroy a shield is pretty cool too. Certain shields should be disarmable, but most shields are strapped on, not held, in real life. Ones that you strap on wouldn't be disarmable.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I don't know how easy it is to break a shield but in my experience they degrade rather quickly. A few non-sparring fights against armed opponents or strong beasts and you will be down to cracked status. Amount of damage blocked (soaked up by the shield) is the key factor, afaik.

The only thing I really see that should be especially made for stopping heavy assault are greatshields. Those things are built to get all kinds of fucked up.

Quote from: AdamBlue on May 27, 2016, 09:57:51 AM
The only thing I really see that should be especially made for stopping heavy assault are greatshields. Those things are built to get all kinds of fucked up.

This is mostly because a broken greatshield merely turns into a slightly less great shield. c:

You're whacking an obsidian sword against a gurth shell. Which would break first?

Remember the setting. This isn't cold steel. It's pieces of bone, stone, or shell.

The majority of shields would actually have been held in the center I would assume since precious resources, that and the fact a center grip shield is just so much more agile then a strapped one, I otherwise completely agree that shields should be disarmable/removable somehow without completely breaking that guys shield made of idk bone covered in hardened leather takes a single wooden axe strike and just breaks into a thousand useless splinters? I dont know but that just seems mostly annoying rather than fun ic things.

I don't think anyone really suggested smashing a shield with a single axe blow, however I think a lot of us agree that weapon and armor durability is kinda bonkers as-is.

Well to be fair things like boiled leather are quite durable, not this durable but still, I kind of like where its at.

I would like the chance to have armor repair rp in things like the Byn take on an actual meaning rather than its current "herp derp gots any cleanin' fluidz bru?"

Edit: which is only a thing because no need to repair the stuff.