What traits make an item a CODED clan item?

Started by Taven, May 19, 2016, 09:17:25 PM

Do all clans have clan only items?

Because if they dont then why do some have super sekrit stuph despite the fact that as the last person said some one may belong to a house and be able to make it, leave and then be unable to do it.

I personally find the idea of craft spam empires run out of shitty apartments pretty dumb and that's why I support clan requirements.

Is being unable to craft Salarr's not-spectacular cuirass game breaking for anyone, does it hinder your roleplay? Would being able to break the clan-only craft wall add something to the game? It's an ooc construct that serves to maintain a unique place for Merchant Houses and other clans that have been around for AGES (literally).

It's an ooc thing, there's other things like this in the game and it's just something you learn to play around. I think the only problem I have with these sorts of things is when someone brings up the ooc nature of it ig and I have to acknowledge it (amos complains because he can make a fancy hat but can't reproduce a simpler Kadian version). That pisses me right off.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

May 22, 2016, 01:49:47 PM #28 Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 08:44:37 PM by Armaddict
QuoteIs being unable to craft Salarr's not-spectacular cuirass game breaking for anyone, does it hinder your roleplay?

The discussion wasn't brought about as game breaking, but as a problem when compared with MMH merchants who did not receive similar protections.  That was the purpose of this thread, was discussing whether such was an effective tool or whether it was something that was appropriate for the time it was created, but due to new additions in the game could use amending.  Myself, I thought it was a valid point how odd it was that larger groups with more wares of more varying qualities with more exposure were the ones that just didn't need to worry about it happening...while those who had to worry about it were also more dependent on it not happening (i.e. Indie shop selling its mastercrafts now sells its mastercraft for every crafter to make rather than it be sold in their shop).

So I singled it out as a thing that I thought was very evident and clear in being outdated in order to help the MMH situation from the other thread.  However, the original complainant on the matter withdrew and said this wasn't really one of their issues, so I stopped pressing the point...because pressing on for myself after that would be weird.  Heh.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: Majikal on May 22, 2016, 01:32:19 PM
Is being unable to craft Salarr's not-spectacular cuirass game breaking for anyone, does it hinder your roleplay? Would being able to break the clan-only craft wall add something to the game? It's an ooc construct that serves to maintain a unique place for Merchant Houses and other clans that have been around for AGES (literally).

It's an ooc thing, there's other things like this in the game and it's just something you learn to play around. I think the only problem I have with these sorts of things is when someone brings up the ooc nature of it ig and I have to acknowledge it (amos complains because he can make a fancy hat but can't reproduce a simpler Kadian version). That pisses me right off.

I was unaware that discussion the way the code works, in the code discussion forum, and brainstorming ideas among the people who play the game was annoying for you, personally.

We should all stop.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

May 22, 2016, 03:21:25 PM #30 Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 03:23:18 PM by Majikal
Quote from: Riev on May 22, 2016, 02:13:16 PM
Quote from: Majikal on May 22, 2016, 01:32:19 PM

I was unaware that discussion the way the code works, in the code discussion forum, and brainstorming ideas among the people who play the game was annoying for you, personally.

We should all stop.

Maybe if you read my post more carefully you'd see I wasn't talking about the forum chatter?
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

I agree that this is an ooc device, at the moment. It *could* become an IC device if clan-specific tools, or virtual clan-specific thread/tools/workbench/secret sauce was codedly implemented. But it isn't. And so when people bring their OOC frustration of an OOC device into the game, it becomes frustrating for everyone. Same thing as when people say "Oh don't bother to try and make a widget if you already failed, for at least a day, because you won't learn from it." And I have to remind them that I'm not trying to make a widget in order to fail, I'm trying to make a widget because Lady Buttcheek Fale wants a widget. Or maybe because I (the character) have never successfully made a widget and would be giddy as a gortok to make one.

Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.