Indie Merchants

Started by BrokenRomance, May 04, 2016, 03:30:10 AM

May 04, 2016, 07:55:13 PM #25 Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 08:27:49 AM by Desertman
How does your character know that the PC in question wasn't also already spoken to by a virtual senior so and so and how does your character come to that all-knowing conclusion instantly?

They don't.

The end result is still the same.

Ignoring the virtual world and treating a PC differently because OOC'ly you know they are a PC even though IC'ly your character has zero reason outside of your OOC knowledge to move to action.

There's no way around it.

With that being said, I don't think it's most terrible thing ever. It's possibly arguably even a necessary evil.

However, pretending like it's not exactly what it is isn't an option.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

In such situations, I have always made sure that whatever the indie was making was either not too grand, or, if it was grand, was a one-off production.

You see, GMHs don't really care about mid-quality knick-knacks, and most of the time, they don't really care about one-off works either. What GMHs care about are bulk orders for merchandise worthy of their name being attached to it, and masterpieces that are commisioned by big names. Masterworks for nobody-worth-a-shit is taking up time that the GMH could use to add to their inventory of resalable items.

Now, this is what I think the GMHs as a single entity think about these things. What your individual GMH Merchant thinks can vary, and you are often subject to their wrath if you defy them, but that's on the micro-level, person-against-person. On the grand scale of the House versus the Indie, the only thing they care about is your name not becoming a threat.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: BrokenRomance on May 04, 2016, 03:30:10 AM
I mean, I've heard that a GMH merchant isn't above killing an independent merchant and that it's suggested you never try to mastercraft on an indie merchant because it's a death flag and things, but is there any other downside?

People said don't be arrogant. That's up to YOUR pc. As a general rule, don't break RP of your PC to try and live longer... That makes for crappy RP and you'll prob die anyway.

That being said:

if you want to do well as an indie merchant who starts making weapons / desert gear / w/e... GET A HANDLER... 

Someone who is mean and has a reputation for being a bad mo-fo and commands respect.

That way THEY will have to deal w. the workings of dealing w. other houses. They'll be your buffer and your protection. This is extortion but it does work. You'll get more room to craft and do what you want rather than having to deal w. the House politicks.

I had a PC that kept 2 troublesome, but very productive merchants alive for about an RL year.
Czar of City Elves.

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on May 04, 2016, 11:48:18 PM
In such situations, I have always made sure that whatever the indie was making was either not too grand, or, if it was grand, was a one-off production.

You see, GMHs don't really care about mid-quality knick-knacks, and most of the time, they don't really care about one-off works either. What GMHs care about are bulk orders for merchandise worthy of their name being attached to it, and masterpieces that are commisioned by big names. Masterworks for nobody-worth-a-shit is taking up time that the GMH could use to add to their inventory of resalable items.

Now, this is what I think the GMHs as a single entity think about these things. What your individual GMH Merchant thinks can vary, and you are often subject to their wrath if you defy them, but that's on the micro-level, person-against-person. On the grand scale of the House versus the Indie, the only thing they care about is your name not becoming a threat.

Sorry for a late reply, I rode 1600 miles to Mexico and back. Anyway, reading this I've a question or a few.

Isn't GMH Merchant a representative of GMH House? I'd think if the House doesn't give two craps about Indie Bill then GMH Merchant is making the House look weak because Indie Bill is selling teapots he made himself and GMH Merchant got him killed for being a threat to his glass business or something. Meanwhile the House at large never even knew Indie Bill existed.
All I see turns to brown, as the sun burns the ground
And my eyes fill with sand, as I scan this wasted land
Trying to find, trying to find where I've been.

Every situation is different, if every merchant house killed every merchant pc/npc/vnpc that crafted their niche stuff it would be a boring bazarre in Nak. However, we're not talking about npc's and vnpc's in this instance, we're talking primarily about pc's.

Pc's are far more likely to step on other pc's toes. Your indie merchant Amos getting a custom weapon job from some fancypants is most likely going to be spitting directly in the face of the new Salarr Merchant #4392 who's being played by a pc! We're a small slice of the population. I have to agree with Lizzies outlook on most of this, yes Salarr wouldn't care that you made the gem-encrusted, serrated warsword and put it up for sale in the market. However, we're not talking about all of Salarr. We're talking about a single Salarri/Kadian/Kuraci brought to life by a player who's personal life is far more likely to be directly effected by pc's.

What people should be asking IMO is that if the need arises and conflict is the result. How can you do it in a fun and interesting way that adds to the story of the game for all the players involved.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

GMH have facilities that make their crafts better than the public, by and far.  Exceptions to the contrary are supposed to be rare.  Mastercraft what you will, but if you want to role play that you're a savant or something and your crafts rival that of the merchant houses, prepare to be noticed.  Hell, you don't even have to be better, you just need people talking about you more than Senior fancydong, and that oughta be enough to draw undue attention.  How it goes down, though -- whether the GMH chooses to ignore you, or whether you purposefully try to outdo the establishment, so on and so forth, that's all up to the PCs.

I don't think a hair trigger on every master craft is very savvy, though, do you?  It sort of validates an unspoken insecurity, as if:  What if their work WAS better?
Where it will go

Quote from: BrokenRomance on May 07, 2016, 08:29:50 AM
glass business

Glass is special in Zalanthas: only Cenyr merchants (and those they trust completely, including pcs) have the ability to blow glass.