Roleplaying Bards

Started by Barsook, April 17, 2016, 08:58:10 PM

Plays are awesome, but require a lot of work and more people. I was actually very impressed by a certain play I can't yet talk about that happened last year ;) Songs don't really do it for me for the same reasons as a lot of other people, you can't hear it, and I failed bad in music at school, so all the fancy jargon and words to describe it are lost on me. Drinking songs I do get behind though, and there are plenty in the player contributions.

Nobles and GMH: Hire the bards!!! All the time. Noble A is meeting with Templar Lord Fancypants for a casual meeting, get a bard in there to play a guitar or some instrument softly as background noise. You don't need to cheer them on after every single song either. I always enjoyed having a bard about to add to the scene and mood. Hire the bards to slander the other houses with song. Use them for recruiting songs if you need an aide.

Also, bards aren't just story-tellers, musicians etc. How about juggling, knife throwing, acrobatics. Think a little out of the box.

When I was writing up my Grey Hunt speech to get words to rhyme, I used RhymeZone. It was a huge help.
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.

April 22, 2016, 07:28:38 AM #27 Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 07:31:03 AM by IAmJacksOpinion
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

you can get inspired from poems, then improvise around them. I remember someone back in '07-08 had a lot shakespeare similarities in their songs & poems and it was working pretty well. It's easy for quick song/poem manufacturing too if your character needs it.

Related note, I did a little research and it turns out, stringed instruments (lutes, fiddles, guitars) are absolutely within the realm of Zalanthan tech.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catgut

Obviously, the guts would be made from alternative animals, but it absolutely can be and is - even in today's modern world - used for strings.