MDesc Hiding Gear for 2016 (Second Half)

Started by whitt, April 02, 2016, 03:23:55 PM

I'll make this simple. Look is in character until the day you type look Tressy and the mud directs you to the forums.

If that never happens, congratulations, your character looking at people is IC!!!
<19:14:06> "Bushranger": Why is it always about sex with animals with you Jihelu?
<19:14:13> "Jihelu": IT's not always /with/ animals

April 05, 2016, 08:22:36 AM #51 Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 08:26:39 AM by Chettaman
Hm. my last post here was actually longer and more complicated, but I guess my computer died before it could edit it... or maybe... No. I was panicking, because I only had like three minutes. I posted it all at once. ... weird. Did I dream it? Damn you, brain. Note: my original post looked nothing like this post. This is just a tribute.
**edit dammit. I found the post in code discussion. Good work brain. I'm sorry for cursing you.

But I can see how look spamming can seem abusive.
As soon as someone enters a bar I can imagine every PC using "look dood" and they're in the middle of a bar fight! - they're in the middle of a heavy conversation that involves the lives of millions - they're secretly ''rubbin' ears'' in the shadows - they're link dead - they're blind - they are otherwise occupied.

bar fight - you're distracted momentarily by another patron of this fine establishment.
heavy conversation - you glance briefly at ~dood as something catches your eye, but you are none the less involved in your conversation.
ear rubbed - it'd be embarrassing if anyone saw you.
ear rubber - it'd be awesome if anyone saw you.
link dead - what the hell, man? you have time to look, but not time to roleplay? < file a complaint. < if they were thinking the whole time and ignoring you like the other NPCs... uh. Well. Unlikely. It's still poor form.
blind - When you learn to recognize the sounds of different foot falls it makes sense to want to be right about a type of foot wear a person may be wearing? What kind of smell their clothing me have; poop, blood, sweat and who it may belong to. Noticing the familiar sounds of chainmail or the subtle sound of the breeze on smooth silk compared to rough burlap.
has their back turned to dood - oh.

^ this is where the look command becomes ''twinky''.
When a person shouldn't have the ability to see you, but they look at you without even hemoting. And... while I know it's wrong of me to accuse people of stuff they may never do, I expect a majority of people will be ALWAYS seated facing towards the door (which is fine). Even worse, I expect people to use this knowledge gained with the look command ICly, because it is an IC construct.
but I think the OOC ideology/truth comes from people who know they may not be noticed if they use the look command /as soon/ as someone walks in. They can get away with gathering that information without roleplay attached as long as they don't get caught. - and worse use that information gathered later on for roleplay without any forewarning to the person who was seen. (which is fine) if you're seen with something that could get you in trouble, chances are going to the bar was a bad idea anyway. - there are more people than PCs in the bar.
I think it's just poor form /not/ to roleplay the look. Because it is an IC construct.

It makes sense to look at a person that you're talking to over and over again. I don't think anyone'll think that's twinky.

But ya know... I'll use myself as an example.
It wasn't a problem when you were talking to someone at the bar while also admiring the mural on the wall behind you. Or looking in a direction repeatedly while sitting down at a campfire chatting with your buddies. Or while traveling through the desert and looking in every direction as you move. Or walking down the street as you move.
Look gets use without roleplay a lot. Let's not forget this grey area where people see more than they perceive (usually). You could be omni-word that means sight, sure, but more than likely it's going to be considered poor roleplay. -- actually. Photographic memory is a thing. ... still. you have to be facing the things you see.

I want to encourage roleplay of the look command! Actual emoting! Use the evil at your fingertips for the good of us all.
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

Quote from: Case on April 04, 2016, 09:58:55 PM
Do we need hard paragraph mdescs at all?

Can we get by with another model? Even something like writing little blurbs for various bodyparts that forms the mdesc, and allows for partial and full covering?

If someone tried to force me into some prearranged description format, I'd flip tables.  :-*  Even though I can see how from a coder's standpoint this could be utilized.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

so can we all agree that look for hemote did absolutely fuck all to cut down this supposed "spam" everyone worried about?

your watch hits apprentice and you basically see -every- look anyways, only now it has (you notice:) attached to it.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

Enjoy your apprentice watch, it's not that hard.

Quote from: Lizzie on April 04, 2016, 10:06:25 PM
Quote from: Case on April 04, 2016, 09:58:55 PM
Do we need hard paragraph mdescs at all?

Can we get by with another model? Even something like writing little blurbs for various bodyparts that forms the mdesc, and allows for partial and full covering?

That's majorly old-school template stuff. You'd have to use a template, and you wouldn't be allowed to stray from it because if you did the code would show weird stuff. You wouldn't be able to mention that her hair falls down her back because then, her hair becomes part of the torso section. And when you cover her head, her hair wouldn't be visible, even though it should be. You basically would have to use a different sentence for each part of the body, and none of them would be allowed to overlap.

Considering I've helped implement it without that problem, I disagree it has to work at all like that.

Quote from: valeria on April 05, 2016, 08:50:56 AM
If someone tried to force me into some prearranged description format, I'd flip tables.  :-* 
QuoteYou hear a man's voice from the north say, in sirihish:
     "Fuck that, not the day to be in the Gaj."