Armor and arrows

Started by Doublepalli, April 01, 2016, 01:02:09 PM

Do you believe armor is realistically portrayed when you get shot with an arrow?

Yes
11 (33.3%)
No
17 (51.5%)
I don't know
5 (15.2%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Quote from: Delirium on April 13, 2016, 02:57:43 PM
nerf dorf strength 2016

More serious:
It's frustrating for average strength characters to not be able to handle a basic kit of leather armor, weapons and a quiver without becoming encumbered.

The other option I can think of is that the effects of strength should have a shallower curve - low strength shouldn't impact you as severely as it does.

I've pretty much lost hope that items could all be refactored to have more realistic weights.  I get they have standardized weights, but IMO they're still too heavy.

I think part of this issue comes from the fact that 'average' isn't even half-decent.  This becomes clear, like you said, when you have a character with average strength.  You think it's half-decent, because hey, it's average.  And then you start getting a few pieces of decent armor, and a waterskin and a couple weapons and then you realize that 'average' is really just a different word for shitty.

If you look at the possible rankings of your character's attributes, there are three pretty horrible options (very poor, poor and below average) then average and then six that are better than average.  That doesn't really make average all that average, does it?

I would argue that changing the attributes to make them more realistic would help with the rude awakening when you realize your average character is sort of sucky.  
I feel like if this got shuffled around though, and 'average' was actually the middle option for your character's attribute levels, then we would have a big uproar from those players who feel like roles are just unplayable without exceptional everything.

I had a character once with I think exceptional endurance and shell/plate armor who would suck up arrows like it was nothing. Arrows from gith did 5-10 damage each and from humans/elven npcs maybe 10-20 damage each owing to their better quality arrows, skill, and bows. That character also had like 123 hp max.

Given this I voted that the system is fine as is.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Maybe armor could use some weight revamp?
Leather does seem a bit heavy.

Quote from: Jihelu on April 13, 2016, 04:46:34 PM
Maybe armor could use some weight revamp?
Leather does seem a bit heavy.

The standard response to this is 'please bug any item that seems like its weight is off', but most people don't have the skill required to actually test weight, which means it's a guessing game at best.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Couldn't builders be given some list of "Heres all the armor and shit in game with corresponding weight values, go through them if you are super bored"

I played a PC with poor strength recently who had full leather and a bow and arrows and stuff and was encumbered. huh?

Quote from: Armaddict on April 13, 2016, 03:17:32 PM
QuoteIt's frustrating for average strength characters to not be able to handle a basic kit of leather armor, weapons and a quiver without becoming encumbered.

I've been talking about this recently as well, since I favor elves and half-elves and humans.  Humans are usually okay.

But I'd like for elven warriors to have the option of wearing more than cloth.  Not platemail, because that would be weird, but a solid set of normal leathers shouldn't fuck them over as far as skill gains (which I believe encumbrance being at manageable starts doing).

Wait, fucking what?! Your encumbrance hinders your skill gains? For real?
Quote from: fourTwenty on June 11, 2007, 08:08:00 PM
Quote from: Rievroleplay damn well(I assume Kazi and fourTwenty are completely different from each other)

Did you just call one of us a dick?

Quote from: fourTwenty on April 13, 2016, 06:32:28 PM
QuoteIt's frustrating for average strength characters to not be able to handle a basic kit of leather armor, weapons and a quiver without becoming encumbered.

I've been talking about this recently as well, since I favor elves and half-elves and humans.  Humans are usually okay.

But I'd like for elven warriors to have the option of wearing more than cloth.  Not platemail, because that would be weird, but a solid set of normal leathers shouldn't fuck them over as far as skill gains (which I believe encumbrance being at manageable starts doing).

Er.  Exact mechanics unknown.  There was an announcement some years back that there was code put in place to prevent people from using encumbrance as a way to skill up faster, though.

My expression there is actually unproven, so don't count that as a 'known mechanic'.  Just one that I'm pretty sure is in place, but can be utterly mistaken on.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

April 13, 2016, 08:54:48 PM #33 Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 09:00:02 PM by Inks

I've been talking about this recently as well, since I favor elves and half-elves and humans.  Humans are usually okay.

But I'd like for elven warriors to have the option of wearing more than cloth.  Not platemail, because that would be weird, but a solid set of normal leathers shouldn't fuck them over as far as skill gains (which I believe encumbrance being at manageable starts doing).

This speculation is largely false. Honestly.

April 13, 2016, 09:01:18 PM #34 Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 09:05:12 PM by Delirium
http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,31465.0.html

This is the only official announcement from staff re: encumbrance and fighting.

Negative to skill-gains or not, encumbrance does have a severe impact on fighting ability, therefore buffing high-strength characters.

I've noticed a distinct difference between "light", "easily manageable" and "manageable" - so it really is a severe punishment to those who have lower strength.

I suppose I'm wrong then.  I'd read in some post or another about it being a part of said change, due to people using encumbrance as a way to get more fails.

For what it's worth, I'm in the same bucket, but I can't seem to find it.

Quote from: Armaddict on April 13, 2016, 09:08:10 PM
I suppose I'm wrong then.  I'd read in some post or another about it being a part of said change, due to people using encumbrance as a way to get more fails.

I remember this too. Weird.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

I read it also.  It was in the same batch of threads that talked about altering the ease with which you could increase fails in combat by riding.  
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

April 13, 2016, 11:15:24 PM #39 Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 11:26:54 PM by Inks
Yes, I have read it too, Imms have mentioned the skillgain reduction in threads.

Moderated my own post. At the middling encumbrances it makes no difference whatsoever, basically.

I think current system is good enough.
Consider this:
Archery in real life is only a little better than archery in Arm. (Only difference is arrow shaft sturdiness + arrowhead, but can be nearly matched)
Any powerful bows built in medieval times were using animal + wood parts too. And arrows shot from those bows were able to pierce through some metal armor.

If archery will require a nerf against armors, for the reason above combat should have a higher nerf because difference between RL metal weapons and wooden/bone weapons are significantly higher.

Quote from: Inks on April 13, 2016, 08:54:48 PM

I've been talking about this recently as well, since I favor elves and half-elves and humans.  Humans are usually okay.

But I'd like for elven warriors to have the option of wearing more than cloth.  Not platemail, because that would be weird, but a solid set of normal leathers shouldn't fuck them over as far as skill gains (which I believe encumbrance being at manageable starts doing).

This speculation is largely false. Honestly.

It would make sense though. Seeing as how I had a weak as shit PC who never seemed to get any better at fighting because he was always encumbered while training. But even when fighting light he fucking sucked like he had no skill gain at all.
Quote from: fourTwenty on June 11, 2007, 08:08:00 PM
Quote from: Rievroleplay damn well(I assume Kazi and fourTwenty are completely different from each other)

Did you just call one of us a dick?