3/21/16 Update Discussion Thread

Started by Rathustra, March 21, 2016, 04:21:40 PM

Quote from: TheWanderer on March 21, 2016, 05:17:16 PM
Speaking of caps...

I vaguely recall staff saying they monitor the number of magickers in the game. Will this still stand? I'm not overly intrigued by the prospect of running into dozens of magickally gifted PCs trying out the new digs.

This will remain the case. We will put breaks on magickers if it gets stupid. Such breaks will be temporary and we will try to focus on people playing multiple magickers in a row to give as many people as possible chances to try new stuff.

This is truly exciting! Super kudos to all involved!

The mix and match possibilities are making my mind race with future character concepts!

*applause

I will miss nilazi.
You creepy mother fuckers.

Quote from: Jihelu on March 21, 2016, 05:20:20 PM
I will miss nilazi.

Would make for an interesting addition to the Sorcerer Subguilds if the staff incorporate in the 3 lost main guilds.
That sounds scarier imho.
Two dwarves get into a small fist-fray over who owns a pile of dung at the roadside.

You think:
     "Get your shit together"

Since Sorcerers were changed to not have "all of the access", can a Sorcerer now in theory pick their "Sorcerer Stuff", but then bolster it as well by making them in addition a Elementalist subguild?

Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Quote from: Desertman on March 21, 2016, 05:22:53 PM
Since Sorcerers were changed to not have "all of the access", can a Sorcerer now in theory pick their "Sorcerer Stuff", but then bolster it as well by making them in addition a Elementalist subguild?

You cannot combine a karma guild and a karma subguild.

March 21, 2016, 05:25:25 PM #81 Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 05:27:25 PM by Molten Heart
Quote from: shadeoux on March 21, 2016, 05:22:14 PM
Quote from: Jihelu on March 21, 2016, 05:20:20 PM
I will miss nilazi.

Would make for an interesting addition to the Sorcerer Subguilds if the staff incorporate in the 3 lost main guilds.
That sounds scarier imho.

Nilaz seems like good candidate for a potential path for a defiler sorcerer.
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Sorta related to the code changes.

Is Karma review and guidelines for who has it, going to be changed at all?

Reason I ask, and I can't believe I'm saying this as a 1-karma player, but shouldn't it be harder to get now because before you had to grind a mage to dangerous status if you wanted to really do some shady or griefer type shit.

Now you can slow boil a ranger, who's deadly on his own, into a poison wielding, fire magick destructive force in a much EASIER incline.

Seems like that would require MORE trust than a simple mage that a bynner with a week of training could murder.
<19:14:06> "Bushranger": Why is it always about sex with animals with you Jihelu?
<19:14:13> "Jihelu": IT's not always /with/ animals

*Grumble grumble* TOO MUCH CHANGE.   >:(

Seriously, though...

Love elementalist subguilds.

Dislike the loss of elementalist main-guilds, but I'm willing to see how things pan out before calling for their return.

Hate the loss of 3 whole elements.  Contrived or not, they've been a part of the game for an extremely long time.  Would like to see them woven back in as an identity, even if they never actually get a full 4 sub-guilds each.

Quote from: Rathustra on March 21, 2016, 05:05:58 PM
Quote from: BadSkeelz on March 21, 2016, 05:04:36 PM
Does this mean only magickers who are Merchants will be able to mastercraft now?

This is effectively the situation.

Addendum:  This is effectively the situation right now.

Remember, this is just the first of many phases in our guild revamp.
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.

Quote from: Asmoth on March 21, 2016, 05:28:04 PM
Sorta related to the code changes.

Is Karma review and guidelines for who has it, going to be changed at all?

Reason I ask, and I can't believe I'm saying this as a 1-karma player, but shouldn't it be harder to get now because before you had to grind a mage to dangerous status if you wanted to really do some shady or griefer type shit.

Now you can slow boil a ranger, who's deadly on his own, into a poison wielding, fire magick destructive force in a much EASIER incline.

Seems like that would require MORE trust than a simple mage that a bynner with a week of training could murder.

We aren't going to tighten up the karma awarding system. But we will certainly be clear-cut with removing options from players who demonstrate an ability to use the subguilds to bring something to the game world.

Love the update and very much looking forward to reading the help files again...and maybe again and again.

Great work, my thanks to all involved for continuous efforts!

Is the staff side of the world going to be affected by this?
IE: Say staff had a plot idea for nilazi take over or some shit.
No more making nilazi to rush the city?

Quote from: Jihelu on March 21, 2016, 05:35:32 PM
Is the staff side of the world going to be affected by this?
IE: Say staff had a plot idea for nilazi take over or some shit.
No more making nilazi to rush the city?

I'm sure it's gonna be like Full Sorcerers, if they want to play one for a plot, they will.

We as players just won't see them in their old form.
<19:14:06> "Bushranger": Why is it always about sex with animals with you Jihelu?

;.;
Rip nilazi
Good night sweet prince
I'll see you when you resurrect your self from the hells and what not.

So whens the psionicist buff. I want them to be more scary.

I deeply dislike removing entire elements from play.

I like magical subguilds.  But I also deeply dislike removing full-guild elementalists as an option.

This greatly diminishes my desire to play, since I was always aiming towards getting enough karma to play a powerful magic class.

The funny thing is the GUILD SNIFF, will now turn to the SUBGUILD SNIFF.

Employer: Yeah, you can skin stuff, ride well and shoot a bow, I get you're a good hunter..  But what do you do for fun?

Character: Pardon?

Employer: You know, Joe over there makes armor.  Stephanie makes weapons. Curtis makes those tablets and such.  What do you do?

Character: I don't really have any interesting talents like that.

Employer: LIAR! Get out of my face!

god dammit rath why you do you do this when i have no time to properly sit down and think about the ramifications and potential

I dig everything about this

god dammit i dig it so hard

omfg i dig it
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: Asmoth on March 21, 2016, 05:43:32 PM
The funny thing is the GUILD SNIFF, will now turn to the SUBGUILD SNIFF.

Employer: Yeah, you can skin stuff, ride well and shoot a bow, I get you're a good hunter..  But what do you do for fun?

Character: Pardon?

Employer: You know, Joe over there makes armor.  Stephanie makes weapons. Curtis makes those tablets and such.  What do you do?

Character: I don't really have any interesting talents like that.

Employer: LIAR! Get out of my face!
That categorically shouldn't get happening at all, it's shit play

Obviously I don't have the full picture yet because I haven't played any of these sub guilds and the rest of the guild changes haven't occurred yet. I'm glad that the game is seeing changes and updates, even if I personally dislike this one.
3/21/16 Never Forget

Is the Tor battle-mage still a thing?
Not all who wander are lost.

I fully love these changes.

It's turning the being a rogue into a more doable role without total isolation.

You can sneak off after your real job, or when your buddies around around to practice your hidden witchcraft.

This sorta goes to another post I was talking in.  It removes a bit of the glass ceiling to certain roles.

Totally love it.  Embrace it people, it makes more sense in the long run.
Quote from: Wasteland Wanderer on March 21, 2016, 05:54:01 PM
If anything a warrior, subguild devastation krathi, it is more of a REAL thing.

I'm very...skeptical.  Not unhappy, just very unsure that this is actually a good thing.  Time will tell.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: Armaddict on March 21, 2016, 05:58:28 PM
I'm very...skeptical.  Not unhappy, just very unsure that this is actually a good thing.  Time will tell.

The more posts I see like this,

Quote from: Asmoth on March 21, 2016, 05:56:40 PM
I fully love these changes.

It's turning the being a rogue into a more doable role without total isolation.

You can sneak off after your real job, or when your buddies around around to practice your hidden witchcraft.

This sorta goes to another post I was talking in.  It removes a bit of the glass ceiling to certain roles.

Totally love it.  Embrace it people, it makes more sense in the long run.
Quote from: Wasteland Wanderer on March 21, 2016, 05:54:01 PM
If anything a warrior, subguild devastation krathi, it is more of a REAL thing.

the more skeptical of this change I am.

I feel like this basically kills the gemmed role. Not that I overly mind, I just can't see how it'll work anymore. Magickers are now gonna be warriors and rangers and stuff, with a handful of spells. Who in their right mind is going to accept the gemmed role with such a character? It used to be that you got to play an incredibly powerful mage in exchange for extreme limitations on clans and places you could go. It feels like magickers are being turned into the equivalent of paladins and spellswords and such, which feels completely at odds with the gemmed concept.