What Tickles your Fancy?

Started by dravage, March 15, 2016, 06:11:02 AM

Some of you have been playing the game for years - maybe even since it began. You've seen a lot, you've done a lot. People who have played much less may also have had some wonderful experiences they can share.

My questions to you then, are (without obviously divulging sensitive IC information):

What do you -love- playing?
What have you played before that you really enjoyed but don't normally like or play?
What do you enjoy most about the game itself?
What's your guilty pleasure?

Excited to see some of the replies!
The human vagabond steps forward, blocking a filthy grey rat from the curtain.
The human vagabond says, in sirihish:
     "You're not allowed in there."

warriors

warriors

human warriors

slashing chopping every day

warriors

warriors

human warriors

piercing bludgeoning all the way
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

March 15, 2016, 06:28:15 AM #2 Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 06:53:02 AM by Dakota
Quote from: dravage on March 15, 2016, 06:11:02 AM
What have you played before that you really enjoyed but don't normally like or play?

A strong, simple concept within a character that ADDS something to the world which was lacking / under-represented. Every good PC I've created falls into this.
A clan leader. Fell into it 3 times. Always ended up having fun despite avoiding it initially.
Permadeath and the fact that reprocussions to your actions have real consequence. It amplifies all aspects of the game and roleplay.
Raiding and mudsex.
Czar of City Elves.

Characters with a secret/mystery.

Militia.

Watching a character grow and evolve over a long period.

Looting PC corpses.

1. merchants, witches, members of the lowest social ranks.
2. Arm soldier, Dasari minion (once, but I would do it again) and noncriminal elves.
3. I most like two things: the capacity for telling, hearing about, or seeing stories, and the unique skill system. If one of these were taken out, I would no longer play regularly.
4. I love playing unmanifested witches in Tuluk and witches who don't cast/don't cast much.

1) Rangers and middle-aged/old men. Usually both. I've played several.
2) Child characters. I generally do not enjoy this. But I did play a couple in the past that just really made my day. (Stored more though.)
3) Making and keeping long-term friends and family in the game. It's also what I hate most when they die. Hate it more than losing my own PC.
4) Slipping in tiny bits of RL comedy/movie references/pop-culture references where they fit the game world/situation for laughs.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

March 15, 2016, 08:46:19 AM #6 Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 09:03:27 AM by Inks
Nonhumans.

Warriors.

Coming up with a concept. RP backed by coded abilities/limitations.

Using abandoned mounts in the distance as a treasure island style X.

March 15, 2016, 09:24:41 AM #7 Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 01:40:09 PM by LauraMars
I love playing crazy people.

And MAGICAL GIRLS

edit: oftentimes both at once
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Flavor characters that push other people's stories forward or that give other players living props to help build their stories and characters.

A magicker

The immersion.  When you can get stuck in with another player, or even better a group of players, that are all playing their characters as characters in a shared story, win or lose.  The whole learning about those characters' backgrounds and what makes them tick and watching them react to the world around them.  While it's possible to learn all of the coded game world and that sense of discovery may fade, players like this are brand new discovery quests... all the time.

Watching characters I used to play beside as another pc and seeing little tidbits from those previous interactions show up as a story told in the bar, or a keepsake referenced in an emote, or some little reminder that the story we shared is still going on.

Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

Anything that can get stuck in to melee combat. I love the trading of hits, the adrenaline and danger of two things tearing each other apart. No other form of combat - not stealth, not ranged, and certainly not magick - excite me so much. So I tend to play characters who can do this.

Crafters. It was much more fun talking shop and seeking out new recipes as a tailor in Red Storm than being a magicker.

I enjoy cooperative play and storytelling, as well as the relationships and dynamics that can form within groups. So what I suppose I love most are clans. The ability to don a uniform and step in to a culture with history and traditions, adopting them and maybe adding a bit of your own.

Also I love seeing people react to brutal combat emotes.

Relationships.

-I love playing warriors or rangers, preferably 'in the shit' of the front-lines.

-I LOVED playing a Tan Muark. The social RP, merchanting and bardish tendencies were far outside my comfort zone but I had a blast and think I did fairly well. I have some very good memories of this character.

-I enjoy the everyday gritty personal struggles of the game. The common soldier, Bynner, hungry hunter or Rinthi without enough coin left to fill a waterskin. Silks and politics and magick hold zero interest for me. If they were purged completely and the game left at 'ground floor' I would be perfectly content.

-My guilty pleasure is the same as in real life. I like pretty girls. Even though I know in my heart of hearts it is Blaze on the other end.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Quote from: WarriorPoet on March 15, 2016, 02:22:15 PM
-I enjoy the everyday gritty personal struggles of the game. The common soldier, Bynner, hungry hunter or Rinthi without enough coin left to fill a waterskin.

What do you -love- playing? Sneaky types, my favorite being burglars.
What have you played before that you really enjoyed but don't normally like or play? Warriors, I've played one to the point he was a badass. It was fun, but took altogether too much time.
What do you enjoy most about the game itself? Secret rooms and locations, hidden trapdoors, pitfalls, finding things many others likely don't know about.
What's your guilty pleasure? Playing a magic class until I'm completely/nearly completely branched then just storing. I live for them skill-ups.
3/21/16 Never Forget

Templars

Current PC

Story / character development

secret magick and creepy plots

rangers and whirans, duh.

a burglar. total red shirt, had a lot of fun.

the "multi-author" storytelling aspect

completely avoiding civilization for weeks at a time because I just want to bop around in the wilderness and explore.

Humans with goals.

A half-elf who looked like an elf. 

Secrets.  That's why I like magick so much, it has a lot of secrets hidden away in nooks and crannies of the code/story/lore.

Going back and reading logs of cool events.

The rugged, violent, chip-on-shoulder types. Preferably indys. But honestly, I play just about everything that isn't attached to a barstool.

Pickpockets.

Freedom of choice and roleplay. Whenever I try explaining Arm to my D&D buddies or whatever, they always get hung up on classes and the system. It takes me a while to explain that the class system is basically irrelevant to what Arm is.

Wise-crackin' youth-y rascals.
Also, playing bad people; not assholes, not PKers or griefers, just morally vacant people. Where the whole bar sees a down on her luck youth and tries to get her a job with <clan>, I'm the guy trying to get a 20 sid beej to everyone's chagrin. Someone's gotta.
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

Outliers -- Long lived antagonists are my bread and butter.

Bimbos -- I normally end up with hardened badass characters, but I had a happy-go-lucky ditz of a warrior for a while and it was a blast. Once was enough.

These days? I couldn't tell you. My current character will very likely be my last here.

Romance -- I'm never more into a character than when the character is in love, probably a product of being married to the military.
Someone says, out of character:
     "Sorry, was a wolf outside, had to warn someone."

Quote from: Wastrel on July 05, 2013, 04:51:17 AMBUT NEERRRR IM A STEALTHY ASSASSIN HEMOTING. BUTBUTBUTBUTBUT. Shut. Up.

Mages who are a part of things, be it a group of mages, a plot, and or into shit (read whiran).

A retarded, highlord worshiping beggar who didn't use a single skill in his life, and was murdered.

The story telling aspect of it, admin plots that you don't really know are admin plots till something fucking crazy and out of the norm pops up.

The stories that people create in their characters, at least some of them.  (Not the "I wanna get better at combat only" storylines which I get is a different strokes view)

Doing stuff I haven't done before.  What I mean by that is advancing a combat character farther than ever before, and finally killing that [insert beast here]. (I play rangers A LOT)

Getting a magicker stronger than before to see how X spell works in the game.

Doing things I never thought I could do in game. (Special roles/applications).

So many and too many to put here.
<19:14:06> "Bushranger": Why is it always about sex with animals with you Jihelu?
<19:14:13> "Jihelu": IT's not always /with/ animals

Mages and pickpockets - mages for the lore and trying to discover that aspect of the RP and including the flavor into the IC, pickpockets for turning a simple thiefy art into something more. Theres so many things a pickpocket can get into that one wouldn't expect!
And younger characters. They open a lot of potential for growth and development.

Warrior, one warrior I had was pretty awesome, but normally its just too straightforward/boring for me.
immersion, arm is the only RP i've played that, in game, has a near complete disconnect from OOC and IC. this makes the RP awesome.

Taking insane risks and living to tell the tale about it (or dying too) Exploration without fear of the danger.
This has lead to a lot of short lived, but fun characters.

Whirans, rukkians, and rangers (in no particular order)
current PC
Participating in the ongoing story, and staff animations that bring the NPCs to life.
Spam-crafting, and skinning piles of dead critters. It's very zen.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Outdoorsy types, whirans/rukkians/rangers

Militia Sergeant. #teamevershine

The Lore, not the stuff you see everyday but that stuff that makes you go 'Wow, that's a thing!'

The grind, I absolutely love the grind.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

I think I find myself having to draw back a level of granularity to answer this properly, but the answer is more or less someone who is moving and shaking.  Warriors used to be, but I think I'm out of that phase.

A noble.  What the heck, I really didn't think I'd enjoy that, but it turns out it was fun.  REALLY not my normal approach.

Sweeping, high stakes battles, stumbling into wondrous things face first with no idea they were coming, the pounding pulse and fluttering stomach that comes with kill <player>, and bumping into personalities that I remember.  Also very high on the list is doing 'stupid shit' as a character.

Half giants.  If I can scratch out a half decent concept maybe muls.

I love that every reply here has been vastly different - goes to show the immense range/diversity of player here. Pretty awesome!
The human vagabond steps forward, blocking a filthy grey rat from the curtain.
The human vagabond says, in sirihish:
     "You're not allowed in there."

March 16, 2016, 12:56:46 PM #24 Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 01:00:39 PM by Barsook
Characters that want to learn about the world around them.

Current PC

The multi-author storytelling, immersion into the game world, and the lore.

Youngsters, maybe because they have room to grow to learn.
I'm a female in real life, but I play more males.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Rangers, warriors, outdoorsy types that rarely step foot in cities.

Halflings, whirans

Adventures! And the diversity of tribal history.

Half-giants. Often when I have a long-lived character die, I'll switch to a half-giant for a while because it's so much easier to just not understand complicated situations like politics.

Indies.  Lots of indies.  Outdoorsy indies that hunt and explore.

Almost everything.  It took me a very long time to create my first gick (like five years) and I was surprised by how enjoyable it was

1. The way the story constantly evolves and changes. 
2. The world.  Finding all those hidden little things that you don't know if anyone else has ever seen.  Staff and everyone else who have contributed and created the things and places get big applause.

Half-giants.

1: Rangers

2: Half-elves. I don't play too many but the concept always makes me want to...

3: Connecting with characters.

4: Music rp. I"m bad at it but...THE MUSIC