5 (6.7%)
Badskeelz Outlier Option.
7 (9.3%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Quote from: Jingo on March 19, 2016, 03:14:23 PM
Quote from: hyzhenhok on March 17, 2016, 02:38:08 AM
Quote from: Jingo on March 16, 2016, 09:27:16 PM
Quote from: lostinspace on March 16, 2016, 03:12:59 PM

Sparring is still very dangerous, characters die in training accidents all the time

This is something that shouldn't even be half as common as it is in the game.

It's not common. It basically doesn't happen unless someone makes a dumb or OOC mistake: disconnections, mercy off, sparred with a half-giant, tried to train outside the sparring hall, etc. KOs happen fairly often, but deaths? No.

Saying magicker training should be dangerous because sparring is dangerous is ludicrous. Sparring is not "very dangerous."

No it's not common. But it's common if the only person in you clan to spar is a 100 day warrior. And you aren't a 100 day warrior.

And then that 100 day warrior lags out after he bashes you.

It has happened to me. It's another broken system.

Yes, I said the exception is lag and "dumb mistakes." A highly skilled, powerful warrior sparring a newb (without doing something like disarming himself), using bash, and forgetting to turn on mercy are three dumb mistakes piled on top of each other that still  are probably not going to be lethal until you throw in the lag.

I've played lots of sparring PCs, including with very powerful combat clanmates, and I've never seen an training hall death. The closest I've seen is when a runner who was left in the hall knocked out cold chased down the sergeant in the Gaj and attacked him, or that time we knocked a runner out and stuck him in latrines cesspool as a prank (oops!). I know these deaths do happen, and I'm sure they're very memorable thanks to the sheer incompetence and absurdity involved whenever they occur, but they are rare. Most combat characters will not even witness one in their lifetimes.

I played a long lived assassin that would frequently spar a long lived warrior. It was always a keystroke away from a reel-lock death.

Then there was my 60hp half-elf in the byn. People were afraid I was going to be one-shotted by a dwarf sparring partner.

It's common in certain circumstances.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

If it's common only in rare, specific circumstances, it's not common.

Quote from: Jihelu on March 19, 2016, 11:31:41 AM
You could just make nil SUPER slow in learning spells and keep progression the same.

I like this. Partly because I like my grind.

Quote from: hyzhenhok on March 21, 2016, 04:05:53 AM

More common than mages blowing themselves up accidentally.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on March 21, 2016, 02:38:44 PM

I should have been more direct in my previous post, I didn't mean to spawn this entire side argument. What Bad said is essentially what I was trying to say, magic training accidents are far fewer than sparring training accidents, because nil allows the magic user to be very safe and you don't have to worry about someone else remembering to turn mercy on. Does that mean nil should go? I don't think so, but I can certainly see why some people dislike it. Gemmed really do have very little to risk while they are safe in their temples, but I think the disadvantages of being a gick other places in the world make up for it.
3/21/16 Never Forget

Quote from: BadSkeelz on March 21, 2016, 02:38:44 PM

I had a very long lived krathi once who was practicing a "F- everyone in a three block radius" spell without taking the proper precautions.... happened to notice about the time my prompt hit 3 HP.
Yeah, that happened.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I assume the new "touched" subguilds are now the Nil reach options, and the rest do not consist of Nil reach options?
The human vagabond steps forward, blocking a filthy grey rat from the curtain.
The human vagabond says, in sirihish:
     "You're not allowed in there."

I doubt it. That isn't how nil reach works. It just lets you cast a spell without the spell actually taking effect.

Considering how these are subguilds now and every gick will have the same mundane skills to level as anyone else, is there still a point to this thread?
3/21/16 Never Forget

No, but some people will always think Gicks are overpowered/ too common, so I am sure another will pop up soon.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.