Human Slaves, Outcasts and Wastelanders Suggestion

Started by roobee, March 06, 2016, 06:17:06 PM

I believe playing an unclanned PC in the Tablelands is not recommended for new players, because it is very difficult to survive? If true, then may I suggest for this post, http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,50273.0.html, to add something saying it is not suggested for new players?

I would've thought the very first line gave it away rather eloquently:

"First, know this – the desert hates you. It will kill your children, devour your mate – suck the moisture from your bones. The desert hates you and it wants you to suffer."
The human vagabond steps forward, blocking a filthy grey rat from the curtain.
The human vagabond says, in sirihish:
     "You're not allowed in there."

Perhaps make it more obvious this is an OOC message? The whole of Zalanthas is painted as a harsh world to live in. From the introduction on the home page, "In this harsh realm, life is a constant struggle, and death may occur over a drink of precious water." But places like Allanak really aren't that hard to live in.

Everywhere outside is dangerous. Living in a city, obviously not that dangerous because you're in a city.

Still, I understand not wanting noobs to think they can play this cool outcast-slave type only to get in-game and die to the first gith they come across. I just don't really see how a noob would even be able to get there without dying.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on March 07, 2016, 11:47:57 AM
I just don't really see how a noob would even be able to get there without dying.

"A lucky few might be able to wish up when I'm online to get transported to the Mul Outpost if it fits their background. Others might be patient enough to arrange a transport time before their character enters the game."

And do what? Stand safely in those 3-4 rooms until they eventually run out of noob coin and die of thirst?

Back in my day, we found out places were hard to survive in by NOT SURVIVING THERE. :)

March 07, 2016, 12:26:02 PM #6 Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 12:27:35 PM by RogueGunslinger
That's his point though I think. And I agree, noobs should be strongly warned against it.

Edit: Also there's about 10 rooms.

Let me be very frankly ... blunt.

A lot of the website documentation, followed up by forum postings, and then the in-game documentation comes across like reading a handbook for how to become a North Korean entrepreneur. So when reading some of these "strongly suggested" helpfiles, it really came across as "do this and we're going to immediately ban you from the game and then drive over to your house to kick your dog."

I was surprised enough that when I started conversing with helpers in online chat I was like, "Hey, they didn't issue me an electric shock for asking a question! These people are actually cool!"

So were I the one writing that "strongly suggested" helpfile, it would be like, "Hey, you're going to run into some very harsh conditions. Have fun, and be sure to have your next character concept written in advance. Good luck out there!"

Quote from: Miradus on March 07, 2016, 01:09:10 PM
Let me be very frankly ... blunt.

A lot of the website documentation, followed up by forum postings, and then the in-game documentation comes across like reading a handbook for how to become a North Korean entrepreneur. So when reading some of these "strongly suggested" helpfiles, it really came across as "do this and we're going to immediately ban you from the game and then drive over to your house to kick your dog."

Examples? You seem  to have an odd way of reading things.

I'll decline examples because I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. Let me just say that, of all the RP enforced games I've played, this seems to be the most regulated and restricted. While the code here is STELLAR compared to many other games I've played, for all the strictness of the roleplay monitoring, it does not seem to have any higher quality roleplay than any other place I've been. About the same, I'd say.

Yes, I do have an odd way of reading things, but also keep in mind that about the time I showed up and started reading the forums this place devolved into a mega-fit of drama, angst, and bitterness between one group of people I don't know and another group of people I don't know.

So ... first impressions.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on March 07, 2016, 03:03:46 PM
Yeah, the forum does that every once awhile.

All game forums do, I think.

Another mud I occasionally play, they have this whole other forum dedicated to just bitching at other players for killing each other, even though it is an entirely PK based mud and that's the theme. But it's "there were three of you against just me" or "I was lagged" or the every popular, "I was linkless". It's not even permadeath. I avoid that forum altogether since there's no real game info presented there. This forum actually does throw out some very good, solid info so I am crippling myself if I just try to not look at it.

Though I take full responsibility for participating here. Forums about anything I'm interested in is a real Achilles heel for me.

Quote from: Miradus on March 07, 2016, 03:01:34 PM
I'll decline examples because I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. Let me just say that, of all the RP enforced games I've played, this seems to be the most regulated and restricted. While the code here is STELLAR compared to many other games I've played, for all the strictness of the roleplay monitoring, it does not seem to have any higher quality roleplay than any other place I've been. About the same, I'd say.

Yes, I do have an odd way of reading things, but also keep in mind that about the time I showed up and started reading the forums this place devolved into a mega-fit of drama, angst, and bitterness between one group of people I don't know and another group of people I don't know.

So ... first impressions.

It's a weird acquired taste. Tons of people, including me, seem to have tried it, stopped playing, then come back later and tried it again.

I think I tried it 3 times before I actually began playing or something?

As for drama, yeahhh. RPIs and MUDs in general are full of it. Some people tie their lives to them, some people get really unhappy with judgement calls, some people are a little unhinged. Some people don't like seeing the first three groups get angry all over the place. Kaboom.

We're all unhinged. :)

I mean, as part of our narrow allotment of free time we like to play digital dolls and dress up in animal skins and whack things with pieces of bone.

That's just not normal behavior. Not even here in Texas.

Quote from: Miradus on March 07, 2016, 03:23:14 PM

I mean, as part of our narrow allotment of free time we like to play digital dolls and dress up in animal skins and whack things with pieces of bone.

No worse than watching grunty grunts move a ball around

Heh. I live in a small, religious (hippy) community and some of my neighbors are like that. They say "Oh, he's wasting his time playing that video game again" when they spend literally hours and hours watching, read, or talking about sports. It never fails to crack me up.

Wasting time is wasting time. So long as my children are fed, my garden is weeded, and my goats are milked then that precious bit of time I get to goof off is going to be spent the same way I've done it for probably 20 years now.

Sad as that may be. :)

Quote from: Case on March 07, 2016, 03:25:20 PM

Rough circle involves moving balls now? What?
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Quote from: Patuk on March 07, 2016, 03:28:49 PM

RL sportsing.

Quote from: Case on March 07, 2016, 03:36:53 PM
Quote from: Patuk on March 07, 2016, 03:28:49 PM

RL sportsing.

The real world has sports for midgets? Seriously?
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

I will warn anyone who tries to take this option of the dangers - as I did with the OP's application - if I believe they will end up wasting their time with it.

If people choose to go through with it then more power to them.

Quote from: Miradus on March 07, 2016, 03:28:06 PM

Wasting time is wasting time. So long as my children are fed, my garden is weeded, and my goats are milked then that precious bit of time I get to goof off is going to be spent the same way I've done it for probably 20 years now.

Why is your real life basically a description of me playing Stardew Valley?
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Because I'm old and boring.

I did catch three bass yesterday, so I got that going for me, which is nice.

Sorry, BS. A thread, once derailed, cannot be re-railed.

That sounds like the dream. I want to live like Miradus when I grow up.

He's a slave to his goats, an outcast from the wastes, exacting his revenge on poor defenseless bass.

Sounds like a typical half-elf.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I'm not quite as angst ridden. :)

Spent most of the afternoon today in the woods hunting for "drops". That's antlers the deer shed. A little early to be finding them, but if you don't get out there early the coyotes will gnaw them to pieces.

I sell them by the pound to a couple of places here. One guy makes fancy chandeliers and furniture out of them.

Spring does not give me much time to mud.