Should Armageddon Mud be Open Sourced?

Started by jalden, February 22, 2016, 10:38:23 PM

Should Armageddon Mud be Open Sourced?

Yes
4 (5.4%)
No
70 (94.6%)

Total Members Voted: 73

I have thought long and hard about  how I would vote in this particular pole.   I just don't know if there is a selection that is right for me.

Would you kindly add a "Eat a bag of dicks" option please?

"No" just doesn't cover it for me.

Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Taking my own advice and just walking away...
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Wow.  Okay.  Apparently people feel strongly about this.

I voted "no".  My initial thought was of the database access, though, which was later said to not be in the intent of the OP.  I still don't think releasing the code is a good idea.  It would still expose code features and mechanics that are probably better left unseen.  Would I like a copy of the code?  Of course.  I'd tinker with it, see what made it work, see if there were issues I thought I could fix, bring up my own server to go send a few poorly written PCs of my own to die in interesting ways.  And then, like some have said, I would forget about it, and move on to other things.  The net gain wouldn't be much for the MUD (if anything), and they would have spent a lot of time releasing it.

I also think the question could have been better worded.  "Should" is a loaded word. It implies some moral imperative, which the staff are by no means under.  The code, after all, is their work.  They don't owe it to anybody to release it.  "Would you like" would have been far preferable.

All that being said, though, no one is forcing you guys to respond to this.  There's no point in shouting Maziel down just because you don't like his opinion.  Let him talk.  Respond if you want.  But don't tell him to shut up as if the thirsty maws of justice can only be slaked in this by forcing him to retract an unpopular opinion.
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Quote from: James de Monet on February 24, 2016, 02:58:18 PM
Wow.  Okay.  Apparently people feel strongly about this.

I voted "no".  My initial thought was of the database access, though, which was later said to not be in the intent of the OP.  I still don't think releasing the code is a good idea.  It would still expose code features and mechanics that are probably better left unseen.  Would I like a copy of the code?  Of course.  I'd tinker with it, see what made it work, see if there were issues I thought I could fix, bring up my own server to go send a few poorly written PCs of my own to die in interesting ways.  And then, like some have said, I would forget about it, and move on to other things.  The net gain wouldn't be much for the MUD (if anything), and they would have spent a lot of time releasing it.

I also think the question could have been better worded.  "Should" is a loaded word. It implies some moral imperative, which the staff are by no means under.  The code, after all, is their work.  They don't owe it to anybody to release it.  "Would you like" would have been far preferable.

All that being said, though, no one is forcing you guys to respond to this.  There's no point in shouting Maziel down just because you don't like his opinion.  Let him talk.  Respond if you want.  But don't tell him to shut up as if the thirsty maws of justice can only be slaked in this by forcing him to retract an unpopular opinion.

Thanks, that's really a refreshing change that's really appreciated.

I'm being told that I should probably do some things I've been putting off like requesting college transcripts before doing the write up I mentioned doing today  :-\

I'll be back for it when I can get away with procrastinating something else by doing the write up instead.

Also, sorry for the mistake Chettaman. I'll consider your thoughts.
I think the best way to develop a game world is by letting the players influence it as much as possible
-Delerak

I haven't seen the playerbase in this much agreement since the Look Echo for Hemote 2016 thread.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."