Guild/Subguild Combination of ...

Started by Miradus, January 30, 2016, 06:48:22 PM

Quote from: seidhr on February 03, 2016, 02:25:31 PM
I'm not sure if it's part of your question since you were asking about pop culture mappings to Arm guilds/subguilds, but one thing I think is worth pointing out to new players who may be reading this is that you should usually pick a subguild that doesn't completely overlay your existing guild.

Sometimes people put in apps for stuff like Ranger/hunter which does you almost zero good.  They get nearly the same skills, and picking hunter doesn't boost your main guild at all.  (In this specific case, you'd get the ability to make arrows from day 0 - and that's it!)  You'll get more bang for your buck if you pick a subguild with little to no skill overlap with your main guild.

It helped to a degree, but I've never found a listing of what subguilds come with what skills. I found hints and scattered insinuations on the forum and went with that, plus some trial and error.

But the thread turned out to be more fun than simply informative, which is a good thing. :)

Quote from: Miradus on February 03, 2016, 08:22:48 PM
Quote from: seidhr on February 03, 2016, 02:25:31 PM
I'm not sure if it's part of your question since you were asking about pop culture mappings to Arm guilds/subguilds, but one thing I think is worth pointing out to new players who may be reading this is that you should usually pick a subguild that doesn't completely overlay your existing guild.

Sometimes people put in apps for stuff like Ranger/hunter which does you almost zero good.  They get nearly the same skills, and picking hunter doesn't boost your main guild at all.  (In this specific case, you'd get the ability to make arrows from day 0 - and that's it!)  You'll get more bang for your buck if you pick a subguild with little to no skill overlap with your main guild.

It helped to a degree, but I've never found a listing of what subguilds come with what skills. I found hints and scattered insinuations on the forum and went with that, plus some trial and error.

But the thread turned out to be more fun than simply informative, which is a good thing. :)

In line with the other thread about meta, I personally think that while which skills each subguild has is fairly clear to someone who is experienced and can interpret the text descriptions of them, it's not very newbie friendly to those who aren't already familiar. It'd be nice if the actual skills subguilds get would be permitted to be listed. Also a warning: the crafting ones generally can't get master. e.g. I picked a regular armorcrafter guild and couldn't get to Master and mastercraft. To do so, you need the 3 CGP level of Master Armorcrafter / Master Weaponcraft, and no you can't upgrade an existing character. Without karma, you can still try one of those by submitting a special app. You get 3 per year and no more than 1 per month. But if you're really new, I wouldn't waste one of these apps when you're going to die to dangers you haven't learned to avoid yet.
> who
Immortals
---------

There are 0 visible Immortals currently in the world.

There are 0 players currently in the world, other than yourself.

"Only the Lonely" - Roy Orbison

Without karma, you can put in the extended/skill bump app and still get one. An extended/skill bump app includes the +3 karma for a special application.

Whoops, yes. They're separate on the dropdown. Thanks for clarifying.
> who
Immortals
---------

No problem my friend, I am here to save the day :3!

I didn't really understand that last part. So I can get a regular subguild bumped up into an extended subguild on an existing character?

Quote from: Miradus on February 04, 2016, 06:08:12 PM
I didn't really understand that last part. So I can get a regular subguild bumped up into an extended subguild on an existing character?

No, I was warning you that you could not do that. I made a subguild armorcrafter and had a blast making armor, and eventually asked staff when it was stuck at advanced forever and never mastered. They replied, sorry, regular subguilds don't master; you need an extended subguild. And I was also told that you can't upgrade from armorcrafter -> master armorcrafter but would need to roll a new PC. So just bear that in mind. Check out the extended subguilds, all of which are in reach for a new player with 0 karma, because they're all 2 or 3 points, and you get 3 points available on your special app quota. The limits are 1 per month, no more than 3 per year, and they can say no. If you want to do that, like Saellyn was saying, you actually choose 'Extended subguild app' rather than 'Special application' in the dropdown.
> who
Immortals
---------

Pretty cool. Thanks for the clarity.

I'll make it my goal to get 10 days played (240 hours) on a single character before I die and THEN I'll special app.

I think in light of the new magick subguilds, this thread is in need of revival.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on March 23, 2016, 09:25:41 PM
I think I'll give one a go on my next PC just to see.

Name: Dayman
Race Human
Guild: Warrior
Subguild: Krathi-touched
Objective: Fight the Nightman, master karate, friendship

Quote from: WarriorPoet on March 24, 2016, 10:32:00 AM
I would sign up to play Nightman but DROV IS GOOONE! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

I guess I will just play Crickett.

The Nightman would probably be a Psion/Rogue or other burglarish combination. Possibly just Burglar/thug so he could come inside and embrace/subdue you with a passionate shout.

Bogre
Race: Human
Guild: Merchant
Subguild: Krath-touched

March 24, 2016, 03:59:45 PM #36 Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 04:04:06 PM by Bogre
Deadpool: Nilazi / mercenary

Previous:
Batman - Warrior / slipknife
Riddick - Drovian / thug
Hulk: Mul rukkian / aggressor
Captain America: Warrior/protector
Ironman: Warrior/Armorcrafter
Hawkeye: Ranger/archer (he took it for boosted started archery)
Nightcrawler: Whiran/acrobat
Spiderman: Burglar/acrobat
Venom: Drovian/acrobat
Flash: D-elf Elkran
Gambit: Burglar/con artist

edit:

.......I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Also, I'd be a physician / krath touched

none of my other skills are branched

I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."