What should be done with the look echo?

Keep it.
10 (11.6%)
Make it into a hemote.
71 (82.6%)
Get rid of it entirely.
5 (5.8%)

Total Members Voted: 85

January 06, 2016, 03:16:07 PM #25 Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 03:47:07 PM by nauta
Quote from: valeria on January 06, 2016, 03:08:21 PM
Quote from: nauta on January 06, 2016, 01:15:59 PM
Quote from: valeria on January 06, 2016, 01:12:35 PM
My suggested solution with hemote look: "watch" your mark.

Not to mention most guild/subguild combos with hide/sneak have scan as well, so they should be picking up on the hemote, for the training worry (see TheWanderer's post) and the busted-bad-guy worry (see the Topless Thread).

??? Scan does not equal picking up on hemotes. That's the "watch" skill.

Oh, I always thought scan increased your chances of picking up hemotes in the vicinity.  I just read the HELP file, and I guess I just made that up out of full cloth.  Ooops.

ETA: Although I swear it's true.  It's why I've always gone for guild/subguilds with high scan, since I prefer threesomes+, and watch really limits you there.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Quote from: valeria on January 06, 2016, 03:08:21 PM
Quote from: nauta on January 06, 2016, 01:15:59 PM
Quote from: valeria on January 06, 2016, 01:12:35 PM
My suggested solution with hemote look: "watch" your mark.

Not to mention most guild/subguild combos with hide/sneak have scan as well, so they should be picking up on the hemote, for the training worry (see TheWanderer's post) and the busted-bad-guy worry (see the Topless Thread).

??? Scan does not equal picking up on hemotes. That's the "watch" skill.

I have never once used the watch skill on a single PC to my knowledge.

I have however caught many hemotes while only scanning....
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

to be fair, I feel like I catch every hemote without doing anything
Whatever happens, happens.

Quote from: TheWanderer on January 06, 2016, 04:22:59 PM
to be fair, I feel like I catch every hemote without doing anything

Good point. Hmm.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

It's really easy to see hemotes.

Quote from: CodeMaster on January 06, 2016, 10:45:27 AMBut isn't it pretty easy to just get your client to gag the look messages?

Sort of, but I'd rather not gag them all - some of them have emotes attached. 

If it's too hard for look to be made into a hemote I'd really rather just have it removed altogether and treated like the look command for every other thing in the game (items, directions etc), invisible unless an emote is attached.

anyway it seems consensus is overwhelming which...I don't know that I've ever seen before on the gdb.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Do hemotes have a greater chance of being noticed by someone if they are targeted in the hemote?

If you

>hemote sneaks a sidelong look at ~amos

Does Amos stand a greater-than-normal chance of noticing your hemote even if he is not watching you? I think maybe he should.

To bring it in line with the "Look Echo for Hemote" discussion... do you think people should notice when they are looked at with a hypothetical hemote look?

Quote from: BadSkeelz on January 08, 2016, 06:51:38 PM
Do hemotes have a greater chance of being noticed by someone if they are targeted in the hemote?

If you

Does Amos stand a greater-than-normal chance of noticing your hemote even if he is not watching you? I think maybe he should.
Not unless he's watching you! If he's watching you, there are really good chances he'll see it. Otherwise, I think the odds are about 40% seeing it from personal experience.
I'd like a targettable hemote (temote) that the target always sees, and the room has a minor chance of seeing. That sort of thing happens all the time in real life. But with the Way, that sort of nonverbal communication is replaced with mind-speaking.  ::)
Be gentle. I had a Nyr brush with death that I'm still getting over.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on January 08, 2016, 06:51:38 PM

If you

To bring it in line with the "Look Echo for Hemote" discussion... do you think people should notice when they are looked at with a hypothetical hemote look?

To the first question: I so wish!  I've had that thought multiple times when playing footsy under the table with someone who wasn't watching me.  OOCly, I'd be like: You are missing all these fabulous fucking hemotes!  The glory!

To the second question: I'm not sure.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Quote from: Asanadas on January 08, 2016, 07:02:38 PM
I'd like a targettable hemote (temote) that the target always sees, and the room has a minor chance of seeing. That sort of thing happens all the time in real life. But with the Way, that sort of nonverbal communication is replaced with mind-speaking.  ::)

Quote from: nauta on January 08, 2016, 07:03:45 PM
To the first question: I so wish!  I've had that thought multiple times when playing footsy under the table with someone who wasn't watching me.  OOCly, I'd be like: You are missing all these fabulous fucking hemotes!  The glory!

contact tressy.bewbs

psi LOOK AT MY FUCKING FEET

cease

Compromise!

January 09, 2016, 11:52:43 AM #35 Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 12:00:44 PM by Chettaman
then their clueless ass is going to look at you while emoting at your feet. It's only slightly jarring to have to way someone, "Watch me."
because then it doesn't make sense to touch them with your feet and then do nothing.

or when your sarge turns around and you wanna stick your tongue out at him and you want everyone else to notice except him.

"hemote< target" as hide this emote to just target
"hemote> target" as hide this emote to everyone except target
"hemote" hide this emote.

Is a grand idea.
You know what? I'm gonna write the code and submit the fucker. Maybe tomorrow.

Quote from: nauta on January 06, 2016, 03:16:07 PM
ETA: Although I swear it's true.  It's why I've always gone for guild/subguilds with high scan, since I prefer threesomes+, and watch really limits you there.
I also wanted to say you're one of my other favorite people ever. I need to make a list. Probably tomorrow...

and after proof reading everything I posted, what the hell thread am I in...? Sorry guys. xD
Look should definitely be a hemote. I agree. You can just emote looking at someone if that's what you want to do. I imagine abuse of the code where no one ever looks at each other even if they just stole from you or whatever, but you know. Eh.
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

I am in support of this idea. It is a good idea.

Bump.

Slightly off topic, but it's my birthday today

I'm not hinting for the implementation of this to be my birthday present or anything

I AM BLATANTLY ASKING
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Fuck yes... I hate when I walk into the Gaj.

Dude A looks at you (2 seconds after the room descriptions pops)
Tressy A looks at you (1 second after that)
Dude B looks at you (same time as tressy)

etc etc
<19:14:06> "Bushranger": Why is it always about sex with animals with you Jihelu?
<19:14:13> "Jihelu": IT's not always /with/ animals

I'm adding a rider!

crafting echoes for hemote 2525.

forage echoes for hemote 2525.

Quote from: nauta on March 24, 2016, 06:40:07 PM
I'm adding a rider!

Crafting is meh, because normally they take so damn long it doesn't really spam.

Forage however, yes, if you go out salting or rock grebbing with two other people.  Prepare to miss a lot in so and so searches intently for something!
<19:14:06> "Bushranger": Why is it always about sex with animals with you Jihelu?

Quote from: nauta on March 24, 2016, 06:40:07 PM
I'm adding a rider!

I think making crafting echoes hemotes will just encourage people to spamcraft more.

Foraging echoes... eh. We all spam it, but it's kind of nice to know someone is looking and not just suddenly producing pumpkins out of the ground.

My reaction to removing the look echo or making it an hemote:

Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

This is one of the things as a new player that bugs me a lot. I mean, how many times do you look at someone in real life and they never notice, or how many times has a friend told you that someone is looking at you without you noticing first. If they aren't watching me, HOW DO THEY KNOW WHERE MY EYES ARE WHILE THEY'RE FIGHTING SOMEONE?

+1 look echoes for hemote 2016.

Yes Please please. Hemote it!!

Wow, look at that poll, it's a clear winner that everyone hates look emotes.

Hopefully some day soon we will see some release notes from Nessalin saying he made it happen.

April 1 often offered real goodies. I' m hoping hard. ;D

Quote from: solera on March 29, 2016, 05:19:46 AM
April 1 often offered real goodies. I' m hoping hard. ;D

A fantastic April 1 prank would be to give "skills", "stat", and "weather" a room echo.

The figure in a black sandcloth cloak just confirmed that, yes, he didn't mysteriously branch anything while idling for the last ten minutes.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Quote from: Thunkkin on March 29, 2016, 10:48:54 AM
A fantastic April 1 prank would be to give "skills", "stat", and "weather" a room echo.

Also "time", "eq", "inv", "look self"
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.