Martial Arts

Started by Asche, December 17, 2015, 03:55:21 PM

I have played in another mud that had pretty good grapple code. People always prioritized the other skills, but if you built yourself into a skilled wrestler you could manhandle people way above your weight class, as long as they hadn't spent the time to level theirs up as well.
3/21/16 Never Forget

Really, just don't give subdue such a large bonus/penalty when accounting for size, and allow a 'pin' command. Grapple someone, drag them around, do whatever, but if they're a bother, 'pin' and its like a bash, knocking them to the ground and stunning for a period of time.

Or even just a 'grip' or 'wrench' command that deals stun damage, a la solid snake. uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh knock out
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

December 21, 2015, 07:54:50 PM #27 Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 11:24:03 PM by MeTekillot
RALERIS, TRY TO REMEMBER THE BASICS OF CQC.

I would like to see bone damage enter the game, with combat-oriented guilds like Warriors given the true edge in melee by being able to apply maneuvers that could break arms or legs, as ways to restrict an opponent in combat, and in fleeing.

Just give me a viable way to break someones legs or beat the shit out of someone to the point of them not being able to leave the room.
"but jihelu you can just hit them to like 0 hp lol"
Contrary to popular belief in real life, Yes I know this isn't real life, you don't have to almost murder someone to just sit on their ass when they have a broken leg.
Then again subdue works.
Sometimes.

I once emoted this while wrestling in the Byn on unarmed combat training day.

The so-and-so man sprawls to block the other man's takedown.

The so-and-so man transitions, attempting to take the other man's back after sprawling and forcing the other man down towards the stone floor.

The so-and-so man subdues the other man.

The so-and-so man takes the other man's back and starts trying to work for the choke.

I have also in the past....

The so-and-so man lifts a leg to check the other man's kick and quickly returns with an inside switch-kick attempt of his own.

The so-and-so man shoots for the single-leg takedown.

You think I regret it? I don't. I got a few laughs out of it. I like to imagine the other player was going...."WTF is this asshole talking about?".

Heheheh.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

I just want to get someone to master subdue and

The blond hair elderly man does a half Horatio Nelson

The Hulk Hogan is standing here.

The Hulk Hogan shouts, in Sirihish:
"Brother!"

The Hulk Hogan shouts, in a gravelly voice,
     "YOU GOT A RINGSIDE SEAT TO YOUR OWN SMACKDOWN, BROTHER!"

Only if I get to create a pudgy, mustachioed man named Mean Gene.

Quote from: Desertman on December 23, 2015, 10:59:24 AM

The so-and-so man transitions, attempting to take the other man's back after sprawling and forcing the other man down towards the stone floor.

The so-and-so man takes the other man's back and starts trying to work for the choke.

The so-and-so man lifts a leg to check the other man's kick and quickly returns with an inside switch-kick attempt of his own.

You think I regret it? I don't. I got a few laughs out of it. I like to imagine the other player was going...."WTF is this asshole talking about?".

Heheheh.

I did the wrestling part as a half-giant against a half-giant, pretty sure the Runner watching was pissing himself.
3/21/16 Never Forget

Quote from: Desertman on December 23, 2015, 10:59:24 AM

Heheheh.

MMA has actually given me lots of emoting inspiration in fights. Most of my kicks are attempted leg kicks(inside/outside) or body kicks, if I miss I always emote having to spin around full circle. Feints, footwork, and head-movement I have good descriptions for, just from watching UFC fights.

The only problem is I'm never able to emote much because I'm always super ready to "disengage" or "flee" or "rescue" and combat spam is fassstt due to combat being all or nothing and seldom being an even match. When you get fairly defensive, and your opponent does too, that is when it becomes easier to emote during combat.

One thing I do to combat the spam is always be ready to ctrl+a + ctrl-c.

Highlight all text, copy all text. Dise. Bam.

I've always seen the 'kick' command to be more of a 'off-guard' strike. E.G. Trying to knee someone in the groin mid-fight.

Quote from: Akariel on December 24, 2015, 03:47:24 AM
I've always seen the 'kick' command to be more of a 'off-guard' strike. E.G. Trying to knee someone in the groin mid-fight.

Aaaaand then your dwarf roundhouse kicks the half-giant in the head.

You can fix the dorf roundhousing 4 times their height by making kick into an aimable thing perhaps. Sure it wouldnt stop that dwarf roundhousing a giant but it could allow those that find it an issue to fix it.
Eg kick necker pecker
The short and stumpy stump lifts a foot and claps the necker in his pecker winding him.
Could have it cause different damage amounts based on where it hits? Like a head kick would of course be brutal. But a leg shot could just do a tiny bit of hp and instead do plenty of movement damage or something to show that it is mostly a crippling shot. Or a neck kick doing a moderate amount of hp damage and movement and stun because you know being unable to breath sucks and it would still knock you around mentally a fair bit.

Or just remove all echos and replace with generic "you strike so and so soft/hard/very hard" And let the person emote where they hit.

My ideal text-based strike/grapple system would be something akin to rock-paper-scissors.  You can 'grap', 'block', or 'strike', but if two warriors are doing both at the same time, grap beats block, block beats strike, and strike beats grap.
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on December 24, 2015, 05:28:32 AM
Or just remove all echos and replace with generic "you strike so and so soft/hard/very hard" And let the person emote where they hit.
Yeah I get what you mean. But at the same time it does still make more sense to be able to do various things with a skill which is nearly useless in any real combat situation unless you are just that beast you dont even haventi worry about reversals of any kind. My suggestion adds a way to keep them still, and still do damage if you want it to. But meh code is a bitch or so i hear

I had a PC who routinely kicked things to death When he was bored.
Not really adding to the discussion,  just didn't want to Negro that brag thread.
>:( ;D

The Ooze is strong with this one

Quote from: 8bitgrandpa on June 28, 2016, 12:01:20 AM
You are our official hammer, Ooze.

Malachi 2:3

Necro...necro. Not Negro. Phone won't let me edit that post.
The Ooze is strong with this one

Quote from: 8bitgrandpa on June 28, 2016, 12:01:20 AM
You are our official hammer, Ooze.

Malachi 2:3

I routinely used to get told icly to stop smacking stuff around with my feet lol so kick can be pretty op

Quote from: Hauwke on December 25, 2015, 02:18:44 AM
I routinely used to get told icly to stop smacking stuff around with my feet lol so kick can be pretty op
Anyone can use a sword
Not many people can use a sword with their feet.

Emote handstands and bashes shit to death with a foot club that isnt a deformity