Is Armageddon a hack & slash game ?

Yes
5 (12.8%)
No
34 (87.2%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Quote from: whitt on December 17, 2015, 01:44:20 PM
Yikes.  Not what I meant at all. 

In fact, what I meant was that, as you said, the game supports multiple playstyles - hack & slash to almost pure social.  The GDB discussions, I've found, tend to focus more on coded activities, much of which are related to combat and survival situations.  The hack & slash players, by nature, are more likely to express a strong opinion in those threads than in the, say, food changes thread - which they have little use for unless it becomes too easy for them to starve. 

This is not to say that players of combat characters can't or don't RP.  Or that players of social characters are unable to concern themselves with combat RP.

Thanks for clarifying. That makes more sense.

In general I think each character concept calls for a different balance of code vs uncoded actions, I'm not sure I'd make it so cut and dried "code-savvy people are more likely to be H&S players".

I may just be projecting, which I'd apologize for - I get a little irritated with a segment of the GDB's attitude that if you know how to use the code, you're somehow incapable of using that knowledge responsibly. Or that it's somehow unfair that you have been able to suss out an understanding over a decade+ of playing the game. But that's getting a little off-topic, I think.

I do agree that the GDB makes the game seem more code-focused than it has to be.

The answer to OP's question is no: you can treat it like one, but doing so will only hurt you in the long run.

Armageddon is an RP mud, but it's built on a hack and slash engine.

The coded mechanics are meant to supplement RP, it's not a MUSH. It's actually quite thrilling at times and leads to all sorts of interaction. That said, I prefer not to resort to code when emotes will do, and I don't feel the need to win all the time.