Would you chose the point buy system for selecting stats?

Started by solera, December 10, 2015, 03:41:41 AM

If there were these choices available at chargen, how would you chose to allocate your stats for your PC?

Random roll
4 (7.5%)
Priortize
12 (22.6%)
Prioritize some, roll the rest
6 (11.3%)
Point buy
31 (58.5%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Voting closed: December 24, 2015, 03:41:41 AM

Obviously a diminishing returns progressive model would be better than a flat one, but I still prefer the status quo, or adding an additional "emergency" re-roll would be better.

I guess ultimately it's a 45%/55% split on the issue though, if you want to go by the poll, so it's a pretty polarizing topic.

The question is poorly worded, anyway. It asks what people would choose if given a choice, not which one is best for the game.

I'm torn. I am afraid of the minmaxing and meta that might result from a point buy system, but I like being able to tailor your stats to your concept a little more than you can now.

I like prioritizing, doing endurance agility strength wisdom. Strength I don't need, Endurance I love, wisdom I want things to take as long as possible to learn because I want something mindless to do for as long as possible during downtime.

December 15, 2015, 11:25:52 AM #79 Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 11:34:09 AM by wizturbo
Okay, here's a possible solution.  What if some subguilds modify stats in lieu of skills?

Want to be extra strong?  Pick the Strong subguild, which gives you +2 strength, but that's all.  Want to be extra agile?  Pick the Agile subguild, which gives +2 agility...  Etc.  

I think that's a real trade off, because losing a subguild for any guild is a pretty big sacrifice.  There is no "dump" subguild, even for guilds that have a lot of skills like ranger, you stand a lot to gain from a subguild.  Then again, you stand a lot to gain from +2 strength too.  It pretty much guarantees very good or above on a prioritized stat with the appropriate age parameters, even on a set of really crappy rolls.  On a set of decent rolls, you're pretty likely to get an exceptional or AI.

Part of me thinks that even this would suck, as it would make AI characters much more common than they are today...  But I'm kind of okay with it, because without a subguild they're more specialized characters.  Having a really buff warrior without subguild skills is definitely distinct from an average one that has those options.  The min-maxer side of me is having a lot of trouble deciding which option is better....which is probably a good sign that it would be balanced :)

I like wizturbo's idea. Honestly, I would expect a soldier in real life to be stronger than me, even one from a relatively ineffective military in regards to training, so I should expect the same of most soldiers and the troopers who are in there for the long haul.

Quote from: wizturbo on December 15, 2015, 11:25:52 AM
Okay, here's a possible solution.  What if some subguilds modify stats in lieu of skills?

Want to be extra strong?  Pick the Strong subguild, which gives you +2 strength, but that's all.  Want to be extra agile?  Pick the Agile subguild, which gives +2 agility...  Etc.  

I think that's a real trade off, because losing a subguild for any guild is a pretty big sacrifice.  There is no "dump" subguild, even for guilds that have a lot of skills like ranger, you stand a lot to gain from a subguild.  Then again, you stand a lot to gain from +2 strength too.  It pretty much guarantees very good or above on a prioritized stat with the appropriate age parameters, even on a set of really crappy rolls.  On a set of decent rolls, you're pretty likely to get an exceptional or AI.

Part of me thinks that even this would suck, as it would make AI characters much more common than they are today...  But I'm kind of okay with it, because without a subguild they're more specialized characters.  Having a really buff warrior without subguild skills is definitely distinct from an average one that has those options.  The min-maxer side of me is having a lot of trouble deciding which option is better....which is probably a good sign that it would be balanced :)

You can already do that, without giving up a subguild.

Warrior/armorcrafter, +1 strength, +2 agi

It's a CGP app and if "ur doin it right" you'll have that character long enough that you'll be able to app another one by the time that one dies/stores.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Are you sure Lizzie?  I don't think you can get stat bumps from CGP...only skills.  A full on special app you could get improved stats with I suppose, but I don't think I'd do that often, if at all.  I save those for special snowflake characters that can't be done any other way.

I think Lizzie's alluding to the purported fact that guild and subguild affect stat values.

I was pretty sure that main guild had some effect, but not subguild...  hmm.

Actually no I was mistaken - it's individual skill bumps you can get, not stat bumps. But - you can get them in addition to picking a normal subguild - so perhaps there'd be an option to getting a stat bump too. Though - stats -do- change during your character's life.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.