Weapon Types and Their Uses

Started by RogueGunslinger, December 08, 2015, 10:23:13 PM

HEY GUYS, SALARRI WEAPONS SUBMISSIONS

As someone who has always wanted to master-craft something, but never wanted to grind up a merchant, this is perfect for me. I'd love if we a had a ton more advanced weapons.

As a somewhat separate thought... pickpockets should branch knife-weapons, even if it's at a low cap like their other weapons skills it would be immensely cool to see 'rinthers and whatnot who are knife-fighters, not just stabber and jabbers.

QuoteCriteria
- Weapons should be low to mid-end
These should be fairly simple and affordable, with minimal ornamentation.

- Some weapon types are more in need of variety than others:
1) All of the advanced weapon types: razor, knife, trident, polearm, pike.

Not that I disagree with either of these criteria, but they're kind of at cross purposes, aren't they?

Unless you plan to make a bunch of flippable weapons like I do.

A spear is technically a polearm, isn't it?

Quote from: MeTekillot on December 08, 2015, 10:31:06 PM
A spear is technically a polearm, isn't it?
Technicaly?  Eh idk i dont think so. I see pole arms as more of a halberd type of thing.

What the hell are knife weapons, anyway? Daggers?

Badskeelz tells me that pole arms are just slightly long axes.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Knifing weapons... Hrm I would assume small knives. Much like the belt knives available we all know where.

Quote from: Majikal on December 08, 2015, 04:39:36 PM
I wonder what kind of silly things come through wish chat sometimes.

I once did:

wish all Okay, fess up, who approved the man with the cord-long dick?

As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

Think about it this way.
A polearm is something halberd esque. Think about how you would use a halberd. The chopping, the stabbing, the  pulling, the using the huge ass pole that you have.
If you can do all of X it is probably a polearm.
So basically just halberds and I guess bardiche's or some shit.

Also Pikes.
Fuck pikes.
Pikes are retarded irl.

Quote from: Jingo on December 08, 2015, 10:54:44 PM
Badskeelz tells me that pole arms are just slightly long axes.

Polearms are weapons where the fighting implement is mounted on the end of shaft (ones larger than those of 'basic' weapons, always requiring two hands). They may or may not include spear-points; if they do these will be combined with some other pain-maker. A spear alone doesn't really make a polearm. Make the spear long enough and it turns into a pike.

Quote from: Hauwke on December 08, 2015, 11:31:14 PM
Pikes are indeed retarded. Stupid long and heavy.

They really only belong in the hands of unit NPCs.

Well a pike is basically only used against cavalry, how in the fuck would any one manage to stride a chaotic battle field with a long ass length of weapon, and then try using it and at the same time manage to not hit his alloes with his backswing.

A pike was definitely not just used against cavalry, but it could certainly be argued that an individual fighting with a pike by himself is pretty weird, yeah.

UNLESS YOU'RE GUAN YU

*strokes beard*
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Pikes are a formation weapon, effective against anything stupid enough to take them head on.

For Zalanthan battles, especially those fought by PCs, they make little sense. But "An allanaki unit of pikemen" fighting "A Legion unit of pikemen" on the burning plains of Tyn Dashra, that I could see.

If you want to make a "pike" for a PC, I guess you could give them a spontoon.

From what I know they probably rek bigger monsters cause big weapon=Fuck everything.

Polearms are bae though.

I have found guides on using pikes in single combat before.  It sounds like it requires a level of technique that wouldn't be immediately apparent to someone lacking experience with them.  Not that I'm disagreeing with anything being said.  But generally that's what separates (most of) the advanced weapon types from the regular ones - it's more difficult to make good use of them in combat against someone using a more traditional weapon type like a sword or an axe.

Knife weapons in this case would refer to small blades with a cutting edge.  I've thought about reclassifying existing knives (excluding skinning knives) under this category for the sake of consistency.  Though I can think of just as many arguments for this as I can against it.

I agree with pretty much all the things that are being said here about weapons.  And flippable weapons are perfectly okay to submit!

I'd love it if many weapons (and all advanced weapons) could be flipped between an advanced and a basic weapon skill, for reasons Taijan said: the advanced weapon skills should be because of the technique used, not the damage type inflicted.

Still doesn't make up for the fact that poking someone to death is the least impressive way of killing them.

The fact knife weapons isn't a starting skill makes my ass hurt.
Just make them do shit all damage, have them branch slashing at like 10 points into it (Assuming you start at 0 and end at 100 in terms of mastering)
And bang.
People can slash peoples wrist and use swords good.

December 09, 2015, 12:02:03 AM #19 Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 12:03:53 AM by RogueGunslinger
Honestly, I feel like every single slashing knife we have in-game, should be made into a knife-weapon item unless it's a long-knife of some sort. And then? Make knife-weapons unusable on a mount, give it to warriors at the start and  pickpockets/assassins at a low cap.

I've never been a big fan of warriors, it's probably my least played guild.

I think it's mostly because none of the advanced weapons excite me, they just don't make cool fantasy weapons imo. Maybe some cool ass 'exotic weapon proficiency' that covers an array of weapons.

Whips, fighting knuckles, razor blades, tridents, mantis weapons, pikes, Katars, funky elven/dwarven cultural weaponry, certain tribal weapons. Just everything 'exotic' under one skill, maybe replaces all the pokes, jabs, whips, lacerates and whatever into a 'strike' so they can all be under a single weapon hit-type. As it is currently say I like the idea of dual wielding X, unfortunately when it branches it branches only into Y which is only two-handed, which I'd rather ignore because it doesn't fit the image of my character I see in my head.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

... Wait, why are we making knife weapons start instantly? Do they suck or something xD?

Quote from: Saellyn on December 09, 2015, 05:51:33 AM
... Wait, why are we making knife weapons start instantly? Do they suck or something xD?

Well, that wasn't exactly my whole suggestion. It'd be nice if we did though, because a knife is something every kid should own from a young age. And considering how many stabbing and slashing knives are out there that should technically be knife-weapons. It sort of makes sense.

Quote from: Saellyn on December 09, 2015, 05:51:33 AM

With a whimsical smile, the muscular, blond-haired man says, in Australian-accented english: "What, you call that a knife? /This/, is a knife!"