If you were a builder, what would you build?

Started by Taven, October 17, 2015, 12:40:02 PM

Some random thoughts... 

I'd give the NPCs of the Known light sources.  So when a moonless night comes along, there aren't commoners and especially templars and soldiers standing in the street in the dark.

Like Fujikoma said, I'd add at least a couple crafting recipes for certain items in game that just...have no use.  Kagor hides are what comes to mind immediately. 

Also, all those gems that are easy to find but are essentially useless?  I'd make basic recipes for them, or at least make them able to be polished.  Tourmaline, lapis lazuli, beryl etc.

One thing that annoys me is how different coloured fabrics in game don't have the same crafting options.  I should be able to make all the same items with any colour of fabric.
It's horribly frustrating to try to stay IC and explain to someone (usually a newer player who doesn't know how crafting works) why I just can't make them this item in black instead of white. 
Or to explain that I could get them a white linen tent...but not white sandcloth.  A green sandcloth tent, that could be done.  But not white sandcloth.  Or black.

Along those same lines, I'd fix the instances where different coloured items don't behave the same way.  Like when you craft two identical items and then experience:
close red.pack
You close a red sandcloth pack.

close blue.pack
You can't find a way to close a blue sandcloth pack.

Oh.  And while it isn't' something in-game...I'd add some sort of notification thingie...so that when a bug was fixed, the player who submitted it would know about it. 
Whenever I see my name on the updates page and then I see some number of bugs/typos/ideas I've submitted have been taken care of, I get all curious wondering just what has been fixed.

Quote from: Ath on October 20, 2015, 12:53:19 PM
Quote from: Desertman on October 20, 2015, 10:44:09 AM
Scripted commoner NPC's that walk around just being commoners doing commoner things for no other reason than to add atmosphere to the area they happen to be in. (I know we have a few of these already, but the thing I really want to add is MORE of them, and more talking scripts that more deeply detail them as people/give away more of their details.)

A guy who walks from a hovel in the commons every morning to dig dung at the stables, then walks to the poo buyer, then back to his hovel at night. He talks about his job/his thoughts/his little existence throughout his day.

A beggar who sleeps in the dorms of the Gaj who wakes up every morning to go sit outside of the water temple in Meleth's to beg for water before going back to sleep in the dorms every night.

Things like that. Things that don't matter but things that would be interesting to see moving about in their element. If you followed them and actually listened to them you would actually learn things about them/their life/their history just by observing them on their "route".

This might make an interesting project.  Talk scripts are not that hard to add in and I could see a few NPCs being given a random echo script to add a bit of flavor.

If at some point a ST has time to take it on I will be good for three or four. Just throw up the call/shoot a request. :)
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Add an over shoulder wearloc to all pack items.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

I'm actually not hugely fond of the roving NPCs and world echos. They feel static and forced and actually jerk me OUT of the game more than they immerse me into it. I prefer having a virtual backdrop that can be brought to life when it's appropriate to the scene rather than being deluged with yet another echo of yet another half-elf puking on the floor.

Quote from: Fujikoma on October 20, 2015, 02:44:40 PM

satchels and small bags yes. Packs no. hiking packs aren't schoolbags, you don't want to carry 40-50lbs of weight through the desert on one shoulder.

Quote from: Delirium on October 20, 2015, 02:46:21 PM
Quote from: Fujikoma on October 20, 2015, 02:44:40 PM

satchels and small bags yes. Packs no. hiking packs aren't schoolbags, you don't want to carry 40-50lbs of weight through the desert on one shoulder.

I once carried a fat old television a mile and a half through the desert. I was out of shape, wouldn't want to do it again, but I'm assuming the average Zalanthan is made of tougher stuff than I am. There's at least one pack with an over the shoulder wearloc.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

Probably falls under the duties of a coder more than a builder, but I'd like to be able to delete large quantities of things without having to do it one by one.

Quote from: Delirium on October 20, 2015, 02:45:16 PM
I'm actually not hugely fond of the roving NPCs and world echos. They feel static and forced and actually jerk me OUT of the game more than they immerse me into it. I prefer having a virtual backdrop that can be brought to life when it's appropriate to the scene rather than being deluged with yet another echo of yet another half-elf puking on the floor.

Echos that are about very specific events, are in my opinion examples of echos done incorrectly.  I fear that a lot of the echos in the Gaj fall under the "echos done incorrectly" category.  One that comes to mind is an echo about a female dwarf stumbling near the bar and throwing up. How many vomiting dwarves are there?  Why specify that it's a female dwarf - why specify that it's a dwarf at all?  You get the impression that there are female dwarves vomiting near the bar several times a day, and I'm not sure how realistic that is.  If I were to rewrite that echo, I'd simply change it to something like "You hear the sound of someone vomiting nearby."

Another one that regularly fired in the Sanctuary was about an elf that ran in to steal a bottle of wine and was dragged off by templars or soldiers or something.  How often is that specific event (an elf trying to steal wine and being taken away by the law) going to happen throughout the day, in a relatively classy/well patrolled location?  Are all elves in Tuluk honestly that stupid that they try to steal wine several times a day?

I like echos that are done right, which are ambient, don't reference anything glaringly specific, and remind a player about the environment around them.

The smell of desert-worthy folk surrounding you (you're in a tavern, surrounded by people who are outdoors regularly) the wind whistling in your ears (you're in a high place outdoors), and the fading light that gleams through stained glass windows (there are stained glass windows here, and it's sunset) are all examples of echos being done right, imo.

Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

October 20, 2015, 04:37:54 PM #33 Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 04:42:00 PM by Desertman
Quote from: LauraMars on October 20, 2015, 04:32:43 PM

Echos that are about very specific events, are in my opinion examples of echos done incorrectly.  I fear that a lot of the echos in the Gaj fall under the "echos done incorrectly" category.  One that comes to mind is an echo about a female dwarf stumbling near the bar and throwing up. How many vomiting dwarves are there?  Why specify that it's a female dwarf - why specify that it's a dwarf at all?  You get the impression that there are female dwarves vomiting near the bar several times a day, and I'm not sure how realistic that is.  If I were to rewrite that echo, I'd simply change it to something like "You hear the sound of someone vomiting nearby."

Another one that regularly fired in the Sanctuary was about an elf that ran in to steal a bottle of wine and was dragged off by templars or soldiers or something.  How often is that specific event (an elf trying to steal wine and being taken away by the law) going to happen throughout the day, in a relatively classy/well patrolled location?  Are all elves in Tuluk honestly that stupid that they try to steal wine several times a day?

I like echos that are done right, which are ambient, don't reference anything glaringly specific, and remind a player about the environment around them.

The smell of desert-worthy folk surrounding you (you're in a tavern, surrounded by people who are outdoors regularly) the wind whistling in your ears (you're in a high place outdoors), and the fading light that gleams through stained glass windows (there are stained glass windows here, and it's sunset) are all examples of echos being done right, imo.

These don't bother me. They are atmospheric. I mentally file it away as, "This is an example of the sorts of things that happen here, this doesn't mean it happens every single time it hits the screen.".

That might be a hardline issue for some people, but for me all it is telling me is, "Here is an example of what atmosphere you are in.". Rarely do people actually respond to them and most of the time they shouldn't in my opinion.

If I took it literally as, "This happens every single time in exactly this way every single time it pops up on the screen.", it might bother me....but I just don't take it that way.

Editing to Add: I do see your point and agree this would be jarring if we were supposed to treat this as an actual action taking place forty eight times a day...I just don't think we are meant to.

Could you make alternating random things in the background like.
"You hear someone vomitting in the background"
Has a chance to be
"You see a red-headed human vomit and pass out"
Or
"You see a (X) elf vomit and pass out"

These are great points.  Some of the newer areas in the game have some great, unspecific ambient echos going on.  The room echos in many of the games' taverns are awesome, but they're elaborate and specific -- like a guitar solo amid drumbeats.  The drumbeats are easier to integrate into the background, but the guitar solos start to get a little too familiar.

It's a weird analogy, but I was making a texture bitmap tiles meant to represent a marble surface in a game, once.  These bitmaps had to be tiled together, so none of them could be too unique to avoid a repetitious visual effect.

If I were a builder I might try to tune a few of these echoes to be less specific (less about specific vnpcs peeing, more about the scent of urine wafting through the area; less about specific punches, specific bones cracking, and specific teeth flying through the air, more about the swell of noise and shouting from a brawl somewhere in the bar) and -- because I'm anal -- be less than 80 characters wide.

I'd also look at items that are meant to decorate rooms (statues, pieces of art, and so on) and try to make those less than 80 characters wide, too.  Just to be consistent.  If rooms are wrapped at 80 chars, the items that are essentially add-ons to the room description should be too.
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

Quote from: Desertman on October 20, 2015, 04:37:54 PM

These don't bother me. They are atmospheric. I mentally file it away as, "This is an example of the sorts of things that happen here, this doesn't mean it happens every single time it hits the screen.".

That might be a hardline issue for some people, but for me all it is telling me is, "Here is an example of what atmosphere you are in.". Rarely do people actually respond to them and most of the time they shouldn't in my opinion.

If I took it literally as, "This happens every single time in exactly this way every single time it pops up on the screen.", it might bother me....but I just don't take it that way.

Editing to Add: I do see your point and agree this would be jarring if we were supposed to treat this as an actual action taking place forty eight times a day...I just don't think we are meant to.

A new player can't tell the difference between a code-fired echo pulsing and a staff member using the "echo room" command.  The first time I saw the wine-stealing elf echo in the Sanctuary I reacted ICly and started talking about it to people, thinking it was actually happening.  Then it happened about 10 more times over the course of the next hour.  The only reason we know these occurrences are not staff or some other event with an active human brain behind it is because we've seen them a zillion times and we OOCly know they're programmed.  It's nice that you've trained yourself to let them sink into the background, but that doesn't mean they're a good example of ambiance.   The best kind of echo is the one you don't HAVE to wonder if you should react to, because there's not a whole lot to react to.

(All apologies to staff members who have written mini-stories featuring specific vnpcs as regularly-firing echos. We can agree to disagree.)

Quote from: LauraMars on October 20, 2015, 09:02:38 PM
A new player can't tell the difference between a code-fired echo pulsing and a staff member using the "echo room" command.  The first time I saw the wine-stealing elf echo in the Sanctuary I reacted ICly and started talking about it to people, thinking it was actually happening.  Then it happened about 10 more times over the course of the next hour.  The only reason we know these occurrences are not staff or some other event with an active human brain behind it is because we've seen them a zillion times and we OOCly know they're programmed.  It's nice that you've trained yourself to let them sink into the background, but that doesn't mean they're a good example of ambiance.   The best kind of echo is the one you don't HAVE to wonder if you should react to, because there's not a whole lot to react to.

(All apologies to staff members who have written mini-stories featuring specific vnpcs as regularly-firing echos. We can agree to disagree.)

+1

Quote from: Alesan on October 20, 2015, 09:10:23 PM

+1

I'm trying to think if I've ever seen a single person react to them....I haven't. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I am saying that I've never once seen it. *shrug*

It makes me think it's not a big deal.

I've seen plenty of people respond to them. But, let's not derail the topic too much.

Quote from: Desertman on October 20, 2015, 09:42:30 PM
Quote from: Alesan on October 20, 2015, 09:10:23 PM

+1

I'm trying to think if I've ever seen a single person react to them....I haven't. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I am saying that I've never once seen it. *shrug*

It makes me think it's not a big deal.

They're responded to often, and are often used as proof of what is happening all the time in a place on the GDB.

I think the labyrinth ambient echoes are stellar.

On topic:  I would definitely build a lot more crafting recipes (I feel like every PC in the known should be able to tailor their own specific 'look' without the price range having to vary so much).  And I would also like 'the wilderness' to be much larger and more expansive, but filled with more small shelters and nooks and crannies and places to explore/survive.  It's not that everyone should be able to just live out there, but it should take longer to travel, and because of this, traveling to the far reaches of the known should be something that takes you out of the city for more than an hour or two.  Make a trip/event out of it.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: CodeMaster on October 20, 2015, 08:46:46 PMIf I were a builder I might try to tune a few of these echoes to be less specific (less about specific vnpcs peeing, more about the scent of urine wafting through the area; less about specific punches, specific bones cracking, and specific teeth flying through the air, more about the swell of noise and shouting from a brawl somewhere in the bar) and -- because I'm anal -- be less than 80 characters wide.

I'd also look at items that are meant to decorate rooms (statues, pieces of art, and so on) and try to make those less than 80 characters wide, too.  Just to be consistent.  If rooms are wrapped at 80 chars, the items that are essentially add-ons to the room description should be too.

When a player emotes it can be longer than 80 characters wide.  So when an echo fires I don't mind if it maintains consistency with emotes since I see them as environmental emotes that happen automatically.

Completely with you on making sure object ldescs are the same length as the room description though.  Gosh darn line wrap, always ruining my day.

I also don't like it when description paragraphs end with a single word on the last line, but perhaps that's just me.  *shiver*

#justanalthings

Red desert echos are some of my favorites.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

If I were a builder, I would accidentally change all the keywords of a dustcloak to the keywords for siltfruit and confuse the hell out of the poor player whose character was wearing one till Nergal and Seidhr came along and fixed my dumb mistake.

>_>
<_<

Hypothetically speaking ...