Travelling the wilderness

Started by theebie, October 14, 2015, 08:43:52 AM

Should we have "random encounters" in the wilderness ?

Yes, that'd be great, do it now
7 (18.4%)
Yes, if there's time, but I don't see it urgent
12 (31.6%)
No, we don't need this
19 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Quote from: Riev on October 21, 2015, 06:24:54 PM
I'd be more interested in randomized spawn points, than this idea, in the vein of making things "difficult" or "more dangerous". The paths and routes exist for a reason. If you're following, say, the North Road... I would think you could stay on it. And if you know its "only a few leagues until the next marker" and suddenly you're in a completely different place, its going to be more of a detriment than an addition to gameplay.

Also, while I hate to be the one to spamwalk from one side of the Known to the other, for some people they may only have an hour to play. Which means logging in, gathering things up, making sure you're set, doing the whole riding thing, and getting set up in the next place. Randomly generated content is great in some games, but not here.
And if you aren't a ranger, you pray to sweet god you find a quit room because you already used your last quit ooc and DINNER IS READY ADN FUCK.
Or atleast thats how I see it, and you can't let these areas get in the way.

I like this idea. Only because I enjoy imposing my will on others.

Anyway. What if this sudden chance to get lost increases only during storms you can't see in?
A harsh sandstorm - 10%
a fierce sandstorm - 20%
tremendous sandstorm - 45%

"You end up getting lost in the storm"

this way it makes sense. Normal people can learn to remember their way in a desert. But what if they can't see the sun or whatever to tell which direction they've been going? Now instead of, "Don't travel you'll get lost" it reinforces "Don't travel into storms. You'll get /really/ lost."
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

I don't see how this would make travel confusing for anyone...you'd get a message saying "hey, you're in a RNG encounter," and if you keep moving the direction you were going to go in the first place, you'd end up in the room you wanted to go to.  Not a big deal unless you're 100% reliant on your automapper or something.

Not being able to quit out wouldn't be a hassle, either, because the area as proposed would be really small.  I mean, honestly, if you're cutting your stamina so close that 3 or 4 extra rooms makes the difference between you quitting or not...that's your fault for not managing your damn stamina appropriately.

Overall, I'd only be in favor of it if the randomly-generated mob encounters were only stuff that a) a 2-day ranger could kill solo and b) a 0-day anything could reasonably escape from.  Armageddon as coded is hard enough--it doesn't need to be roguelike.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

No, this is not Final Fantasy.
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!