Climb

Started by RogueGunslinger, September 17, 2015, 11:58:34 AM

I fell several times without Ko in the past few days.  No one was around to see it...so it doesnt matter.
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

I find it hilarious that people who've seen a sinkhole or cliff before still have to leap off it like idiots if they want to try to climb down.

Quote from: Erythil on September 21, 2015, 08:01:52 PM
A stronger indication of what's climbable would be useful.

So many deaths due to it being unclear what's a drop...

This would be nice.

We were on a mission once in Tuluk and needed to find a way down off a cliff. Something like 14 pc's riding around and we needed to see how large the drop was before we committed anyone to it. Super climber testerboy 9000 goes to take a peek for us. Turns out the room that so terrified us all as a climbfall room turned out to be a safe walk. It then let you look down. Safely. I wish ALL cliffs were done this way. Let the sinkholes and chasms be a surprise tumble to get the unwary. But a cliff, you should be able to 'safely' peek off a cliff in this manner.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

September 22, 2015, 09:55:11 AM #28 Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 10:28:56 AM by RogueGunslinger
Quote from: Armaddict on September 21, 2015, 09:35:47 PM
Quote from: Inks on September 21, 2015, 09:31:38 PM
I don't mind the climb code. But assassins should have a higher cap jesus.

Also there should be more subguilds with climb. Even a couple more extended subguilds.

No to assassins getting higher climb.  I'm sorry, but that's one of their tradeoffs, they don't get to be the best at everything over other rogues.  Just most things.

*edited other dumb stuff out.

I don't find journeyman-advanced climb skill to be very adequate, basically. I might agree that not all the stealth classes should get climb, but I say if they do get it, just let it master.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on September 22, 2015, 09:55:11 AM
Quote from: Armaddict on September 21, 2015, 09:35:47 PM
Quote from: Inks on September 21, 2015, 09:31:38 PM
I don't mind the climb code. But assassins should have a higher cap jesus.

Also there should be more subguilds with climb. Even a couple more extended subguilds.

No to assassins getting higher climb.  I'm sorry, but that's one of their tradeoffs, they don't get to be the best at everything over other rogues.  Just most things.

*edited other dumb stuff out.

I don't find journeyman-advanced climb skill to be very adequate, basically. I might agree that not all the stealth classes should get climb, but I say if they do get it, just let it master.

Generally, the way I think of it is that assassins are capable of climbing -up- things.  Climbing down...is not their thing.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

But then how do I live out my building top ninja-assassin fantasies.

Game needs functional grappling hooks.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on September 22, 2015, 04:46:13 PM
Game needs functional grappling hooks.

Typical result of climbing equipment without climbing skill:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMu4WF6DMEE

If you Way too much while climbing and pass out, you're supposed to fall, right?

Quote from: AdamBlue on September 23, 2015, 01:51:51 PM
If you Way too much while climbing and pass out, you're supposed to fall, right?

There's another bug with climb that I filed: if you are hidden, and fall and crack your neck, you remain hidden.  (Or: you are just -that- good.)
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Quote from: nauta on September 23, 2015, 02:35:39 PM

There's another bug with climb that I filed: if you are hidden, and fall and crack your neck, you remain hidden.  (Or: you are just -that- good.)

And you won't fall. :D  #thanksmagickers
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

Same thing happens with any passing out.  If you're hidden when you do it, you remain hidden.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: Armaddict on September 23, 2015, 04:05:22 PM

Same thing happens with any passing out.  If you're hidden when you do it, you remain hidden.

In most cases, that makes sense.

Clinging to a cliffside though... not so much.

Some weird climb quirks:
Can shoot a bow while climbing
can throw a spear while climbing
can fight while climbing
can't cast while climbing?

Would be neat to have a climb check for doing any of those things, initiate fall if you fail. That'd be tight.
You steady yourself and take aim.
You loose your footing!

I think any kind of climbing overhaul would be awesome, it's so bare bones right now that anything added to how it works would kick ass.
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Quote from: Majikal on September 23, 2015, 05:24:05 PM
Some weird climb quirks:
Can shoot a bow while climbing
can throw a spear while climbing
can fight while climbing
can't cast while climbing?

Can pass out from way use while climbing and not fall down.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

September 23, 2015, 10:09:08 PM #39 Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 10:14:04 PM by Inks
Thanks for those climbing quirks, Majikal. I learnt a lot and will use this knowledge in the future.

Here is one that needs to be fixed: If you fall on your neck and get knocked out while climbing hidden. You will still be hidden while unconscious on the ground.

Same goes if you sap someone hidden and they get ko'd in one, will still be hidden. Unconscious state should reveal hidden pcs/npcs.

Climbing and waying/fighting is the Zalanthan equivalent to texting and driving.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on September 24, 2015, 01:35:08 AM
Climbing and waying/fighting is the Zalanthan equivalent to texting and driving.

Your mum sends you a telepathic message:
"You better not be waying and riding again!"

You send your mum a telepathic message:
"No mom, sheeesh, we parked the beetles. I'm out with the guys. One of them's a bender and he always laughs when you do this. It's embarassing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Is there a situation where this would not fall into the same category of activities that break crafting/casting/etc.., "Your concentration falters..." ?
"Unless you have a suitcase and a ticket and a passport,
The cargo that they're carrying is you"

Quote from: nessalin on October 01, 2015, 06:35:53 PM
Is there a situation where this would not fall into the same category of activities that break crafting/casting/etc.., "Your concentration falters..." ?

Only one I can think of really quickly is that sometimes you are clinging to a cliff without enough energy to go up, and the fall will likely kill you, and you want to Way your fairwells (or help ways).  So Waying would be one that maybe you can still do while climbing (at your own risk, since it lowers stun).
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

2015.10.11 release addresses some of these concerns.
"Unless you have a suitcase and a ticket and a passport,
The cargo that they're carrying is you"

I noticed a few days ago that failing to stop a fall penalizes you just like hitting the ground.  This means that if you fall one room, you get hit one time.  If you fall one room but try (and fail) to stop the fall, you get hit twice.

I don't know if that's intentional or not, but it seems kinda shitty to double penalize people like that.

Quote from: Old Kank on October 15, 2015, 06:21:05 PM
I noticed a few days ago that failing to stop a fall penalizes you just like hitting the ground.  This means that if you fall one room, you get hit one time.  If you fall one room but try (and fail) to stop the fall, you get hit twice.

I don't know if that's intentional or not, but it seems kinda shitty to double penalize people like that.

It actually makes sense from a game balance viewpoint. Particularly since I believe the only limit to the number of tries to catch yourself you can make is how fast you can hit "u" during the fall delay.

I noticed I got the message about not following into the danger zone, out off the blue. I assume it  was triggered by the last person my PC had followed, going rock climbing.

You take significantly less damage attempting to stop a fall, but no, it is not an instant check. There's delay trying to stop yourself falling, so it's a super duper risk-reward. You MAY stop the fall, or you may guarantee your demise.