22 (55%)
Nay.
7 (17.5%)
May(be).
11 (27.5%)

Total Members Voted: 40

... yeah ...
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

The means that we have now to craft are the means that would be used, as I'm not talking about an overhaul to the whole crafting process.  The limitations that've already been discussed are big points of hesitation - using the means available, it would indeed be a lot of work.

The yea's and maybe's/no's are pretty even.  For those who said no - just out of curiosity, is it the overall concept that elicited a no, or was it just the thought of trying to make it work with the current crafting system?

September 08, 2015, 02:31:15 AM #27 Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 02:34:46 AM by CodeMaster
Quote from: Taijan on September 08, 2015, 01:24:15 AM
The means that we have now to craft are the means that would be used, as I'm not talking about an overhaul to the whole crafting process.  The limitations that've already been discussed are big points of hesitation - using the means available, it would indeed be a lot of work.

The yea's and maybe's/no's are pretty even.  For those who said no - just out of curiosity, is it the overall concept that elicited a no, or was it just the thought of trying to make it work with the current crafting system?

Love the concept.

It's just its inability to scale that strikes me the most.  At first it'll be pretty easy: 3 hilts, 3 blades -- only 9 items to describe.  But at some point there might be 25 (or 100!) blades in the game, and every time a player wants to make a hilt, someone will have to create 25 new sword items.  If swords and hilts get added in equal volume, the growth rate of the number of new items is quadratic in the number of mastercrafts.

(The only way it would scale reasonably is if it were fully automated.)

So I guess my big worry is that some hilts won't work with some blades and a merchant will have to negotiaate the frustrating idiosyncrasies of this system rather than feel like they're playing lego (to crib from catchall)

[edit: I was a maybe so I'll shadup]
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

I love "the idea" of it. But adding more idiosyncracies to an already (at times) frustratingly inconsistent crafting system feels like a game of diminishing returns unless it winds up replacing entire fair size swathes of things, and/or making up a fairly large amount of craftables in and of itself. Especially when there are literally dozens of crafting skills and it would affect only one of them.
Quote from: Maester Aemon Targaryen
What is honor compared to a woman's love? ...Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.