Instead of the current way it's coded:

count flower crate
>there are 98 flowers in the crate

Could we please have it modified to:
count flower crate
> many yellow flowers (40)
> a few white-petaled flowers (4)
> some clusters of pale blue kanjel flowers (10)
> many small turquoise-colored flowers (44)

It might not be essential - but honestly it'd save everyone a ton of non-productive time, trying to figure out what # a particular item is in a container.
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

I dig this for the ease of knowing what is what!
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Merchant family members should get an sql-style "select" command.
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

Try

key .flower crate

This will give you an itemied list of what flowers are in crate. Kthx.
Two dwarves get into a small fist-fray over who owns a pile of dung at the roadside.

You think:
     "Get your shit together"

Key works fine, but ....
... super spammy.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

While doing this, could we make it so that you didn't have to have something in your inventory to count?  Maybe if you just had a free hand it would be fine?

The benefit of 'count' over the 'key' command is that it lists all of the flowers in numerical order, where count would tell you how many of each type.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Quote from: CodeMaster on August 14, 2015, 02:42:01 PM

The mud should be regex aware!
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Quote from: nauta on August 14, 2015, 03:05:45 PM

And pipes!

k flower | grep -v orange && kill minion
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Quote from: valeria on August 14, 2015, 03:05:08 PM
While doing this, could we make it so that you didn't have to have something in your inventory to count?  Maybe if you just had a free hand it would be fine?

The benefit of 'count' over the 'key' command is that it lists all of the flowers in numerical order, where count would tell you how many of each type.

I was going to write something snarky about addition and subtraction, but, for ease on the brain, I'll run with you on this.
Two dwarves get into a small fist-fray over who owns a pile of dung at the roadside.

You think:
     "Get your shit together"

Oh god no, please don't. When I want to know how many flowers are in the crate, it's because I don't want to know how many plants are in the crate. Just the ones with the keyword flower attached to them. I don't care which flowers they are. I just want to know how many total.

If I want to know how many red flowers there are, I'd:

count red.flower crate

If I want to know how many clusters of flowers there are I'd

count cluster.flowers crate

If I want to know how many flowers that are known as blossoms are in the crate, I'd
count blossoms crate
and
count blossom crate

The thing with flowers though - there are so many DOZENS of types of flowers that if you forced a list when you did "count flower crate" you might end up with a list of two dozen things - which for me at least, would make me not want to ever use the count command again, ever.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Weird.  I just realized I never use the count command.  I always use keyword.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on August 14, 2015, 05:08:58 PM

I used to use just keyword until I decided to "count" the torches in a chest and found out there were 72 of the damn things. Now I use whichever one is most convenient.

I wouldn't want to see ALL count results show up like Incognito suggests... But if we do an "count flowers -verbose" command to get the extra information, that'd be neat.

WE HAVE A COUNT COMMAND?!
As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

I didn't know this existed either. My life has been changed.

I like the look of this too. It fits on my screen, it makes it easier to get at the sharp tooth that's buried under the heap of other sharp tooths (that shouldn't be there, but, oh well,) and I don't think there would be DOZENS of flower, those kanjel won't be there for a start.
Lizzie, you could still type 
count red.flower crate ?

Quote from: solera on August 14, 2015, 06:12:15 PM
I like the look of this too. It fits on my screen, it makes it easier to get at the sharp tooth that's buried under the heap of other sharp tooths (that shouldn't be there, but, oh well,) and I don't think there would be DOZENS of flower, those kanjel won't be there for a start.
Lizzie, you could still type 
count red.flower crate ?

You're missing my point. Here's the start of the OP's example:
count flower crate

Could we please have it modified to:
count flower crate
> many yellow flowers (40)
> many small turquoise-colored flowers (44)
now here's the rest of it - and remember, when you type count flower it looks for anything with the letters f.l.o.w.e.r. in it, whether it's a singular word "flower" or part of another word "flowering" "flowers" "flowered."

count flower crate

> many yellow flowers (20)
> many small turquoise-colored flowers (15)
> a flower-embroidered purple sash (1)
> a few blower-embroidered green sashes (4)
> a few purple-flowered stalks (3)
> some white flowering blossoms (10)
> a couple of ebony cloaks with green-flowered hoods (2)
> a couple of orange flowers (2)
> several red flowers (13)

(and so on and so forth - when really, you just wanted to know how many things TOTAL with the word "flower" in it, are in the damned crate. The first line of the screen scroll was the answer: 98)

Quote from: Synthesis on August 14, 2015, 05:08:58 PM

If you don't mind the spam, count is inferior because you can't count inside things that you're wearing (like a backpack).  Keyword is such a beefy command.

Quote from: nauta on August 14, 2015, 03:06:51 PM
Quote from: nauta on August 14, 2015, 03:05:45 PM

And pipes!

k flower | grep -v orange && kill minion

nauta knows what's up!

Quotenow here's the rest of it - and remember, when you type count flower it looks for anything with the letters f.l.o.w.e.r. in it, whether it's a singular word "flower" or part of another word "flowering" "flowers" "flowered."

And...I never knew this! This has been a day of learning. Thanks Lizzie

August 15, 2015, 03:12:04 AM #19 Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 03:14:45 AM by Incognito
Quote from: Lizzie on August 14, 2015, 06:30:41 PM

You're missing my point. Here's the start of the OP's example:
count flower crate

(and so on and so forth - when really, you just wanted to know how many things TOTAL with the word "flower" in it, are in the damned crate. The first line of the screen scroll was the answer: 98)

The problem is - there is no way to figure out what exact # a particularly 'keyworded' item is - from among the count that is returned to you.

The idea was to suggest a cohesive solution to this problem, instead of trying to triangulate with 50% increments (get 49.flower, then get 74.flower etc etc) till you finally managed to figure out which # the item you're looking for is.....

And since we really dont need to waste time doing this (again and again I might add, because over reboots, the contents of containers get reversed, i.e. 1.flower becomes 98.flower) - and then you're trying to figure out the # again.

If people are not happy with "count" being expanded, it could very well just be another command - maybe LIST <keyword> <container> or what have you. Just as long as we're able to find what we're looking for without a whole process - we'll be good!

Just to give a simple scenario:
Crafting hall in Merchant House X has:
10 crates
2 chests
3 trunks

In the 2nd crate, there are 300 flowers, out of which 100 are red petaled flowers, 5 are a small red flower and another 195 are red flower buds.

On the other hand, there are 600 "small" items in the same crate - so we can't use "small" as the keyword to get to the small red flower.

Now, you tediously get to the flower (by a trial-and-error method).

Just to elaborate - let's say we figure out - get 101.flower 2.crate

After the next reboot, 2.crate will actually become 8.crate.

To add to that, the 145 red flower buds will now be first in the count, and the small red flowers after, followed by the 150 red petaled flowers.

So, in effect, you'd be now trying to figure out - get 196.flower 8.crate

I think you can understand what I'm talking about......and this isnt an extreme or exaggerated case - its quite normal for this to happen in ALL storage rooms with multiple containers which have stocks of items with similar keywords.

PS: And yes, I do know that the 2.crate and 8.crate issue CAN be solved with having unique crates in the room - OR identified using the ARRANGE command - but I'm just pointing out the scenario IF you have 8 crates with the same desc.
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

Doesn't um ... doesn't
> get red.petaled.flower
> get small.red.flower
> get red.flower.bud

pretty much solve your problem too. No matter how many reboots the game goes through?
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: musashi on August 15, 2015, 06:57:38 AM
Doesn't um ... doesn't
> get red.petaled.flower
> get small.red.flower
> get red.flower.bud

pretty much solve your problem too. No matter how many reboots the game goes through?

Yes, it does. So does:

count red.petaled.flower
If you just want to know how many you have in there, and aren't trying to remove any yet.