Is it wrong that I want to kill all of you?

Started by IAmJacksOpinion, July 06, 2015, 11:35:58 PM

Is it wrong that I want to kill all of you?

Yes it's wrong.
7 (6.4%)
No, it's not wrong.
25 (22.7%)
Bring it on, bitch.
78 (70.9%)

Total Members Voted: 110

I find thats happened to me a couple times. Templar pulls me in for random "Who the hell are you" chat. Templar gets annoyed by magickers (who, coincidentally, had been annoying them for a couple RL weeks now), decides my PC is the cause of it. Exiles my PC after 30minutes of straight threats of death, nobody in city militia thinks I had anything to do with it. PC can only return home when proof of the magicker being dead is provided, PC was like a RL week old.

At least they didn't kill me, but they may as well have. Died in the Byn a couple weeks later after the stress of being exiled from his home and the hardass nature of the Byn (who were the only ones that would hire him) broke him into two personalities and one got the other killed. =\

Blugh, Tamplers.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on October 26, 2015, 12:30:29 PM
I find thats happened to me a couple times. Templar pulls me in for random "Who the hell are you" chat. Templar gets annoyed by magickers (who, coincidentally, had been annoying them for a couple RL weeks now), decides my PC is the cause of it. Exiles my PC after 30minutes of straight threats of death, nobody in city militia thinks I had anything to do with it. PC can only return home when proof of the magicker being dead is provided, PC was like a RL week old.

At least they didn't kill me, but they may as well have. Died in the Byn a couple weeks later after the stress of being exiled from his home and the hardass nature of the Byn (who were the only ones that would hire him) broke him into two personalities and one got the other killed. =\

Blugh, Tamplers.
See if you were a master assassin or Krathi you could have max fireball'd his face.

On another note thats kinda rude tbh, I don't know if that is borderline ooc dickness, it doesn't seem that way, but that kind of sucks.

Ah, poor Amos. He lived and died by the sword died for the lulz.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: Jihelu on October 26, 2015, 12:38:23 PM
On another note thats kinda rude tbh, I don't know if that is borderline ooc dickness, it doesn't seem that way, but that kind of sucks.

I don't understand.

OOCly dickness would be making a revenge PC.

ICly playing a character that treats your character in-line with how their character is feeling right now?  That's role-playing.  PCs should make rash judgements, guess wrong, and make egregious mistakes now and again.  Stay IC. 

No one likes to lose, but sometimes it happens.  Sometimes it makes the story move in ways you can't imagine.  Look at Game of Thrones - Ned Stark / the Red Wedding / Joffrey.  Yes storylines die when a PC does, but they also spawn from it.

I don't advocate PK as the go-to answer.  But it -is- a valid response many times.

I'm reminded of the quote I see now and again that amounts to "M-C-B is great, unless it's happening to my character.  Then you're being a dick!"
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

I don't invest time into my characters just so some jackass can go "Whoops, lol, mybad". I expect better.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Quote from: whitt on October 26, 2015, 12:58:23 PM
Quote from: Jihelu on October 26, 2015, 12:38:23 PM

I don't understand.

OOCly dickness would be making a revenge PC.

ICly playing a character that treats your character in-line with how their character is feeling right now?  That's role-playing.  PCs should make rash judgements, guess wrong, and make egregious mistakes now and again.  Stay IC. 

No one likes to lose, but sometimes it happens.  Sometimes it makes the story move in ways you can't imagine.  Look at Game of Thrones - Ned Stark / the Red Wedding / Joffrey.  Yes storylines die when a PC does, but they also spawn from it.

I don't advocate PK as the go-to answer.  But it -is- a valid response many times.

I'm reminded of the quote I see now and again that amounts to "M-C-B is great, unless it's happening to my character.  Then you're being a dick!"

I suppose you are right.

Quote from: Jingo on October 26, 2015, 01:03:19 PM
I don't invest time into my characters just so some jackass can go "Whoops, lol, mybad". I expect better.
Until you are ready to accept that your beloved characters are going to be subject to absolutely random, asinine, and possibly terminal injustices you are going to have a hard time, friend. 
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

Try being the one that gets randomed. And see how un-fucking-fun it is. Then say that.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Quote from: Jingo on October 26, 2015, 05:14:54 PM
Try being the one that gets randomed. And see how un-fucking-fun it is. Then say that.

I'm pretty certain that most of us have been in that position before.

Quote from: Jingo on October 26, 2015, 11:51:40 AM
I'm going to have a hard time giving other players the benefit of a doubt from now on. I was involved with a character that was apped and basically sentenced to die on day one by powerful characters, despite having next to zero connection to whatever the offending incident was.

It was shit, and it makes me think that the playerbase is derpy garbage. That they would rather squash a dozen interesting plot lines. That they would refuse to give the benefit of the doubt to a pc when it was extended to them already. That they would rather durr durr durr kill than try to interact with a pc.

It was so badly done that it makes me reconsider whether this hobby is worth my time.

I have no idea what the incident was, so I can't speak to it directly, but don't forget players (especially players in sponsored roles) have no requirement to let other characters live.  They do have a requirement to act and react in a realistic way.  I have no idea if this principle influenced the situation in question, but I've seen some similar ones that were unfortunate, but also very expected, given the IC circumstances.
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

I don't know how recent this is, but this is a reminder not to vaguebook on the GDB, or complain about character deaths. Especially not if it is indeed recent.

October 26, 2015, 05:23:35 PM #336 Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 05:27:52 PM by Desertman
I can't believe nobody has posted MJ eating popcorn yet.

You have failed me GDB.

Might as well use the press though.

DON'T FORGET TO VOTE!!!
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

I'll just finish with that I think it's sad some players don't think they owe other players a pinch of courtesy here and there. Nor believe that they owe anyone a fun play environment.

October 26, 2015, 05:34:23 PM #338 Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 05:36:16 PM by Desertman
Quote from: Jingo on October 26, 2015, 05:31:59 PM
I'll just finish with that I think it's sad some players don't think they owe other players a pinch of courtesy here and there. Nor believe that they owe anyone a fun play environment.

We've all been there. I've been there many times. Give it a little time. Before you know it, you'll feel right as rain.

(I just quoted the Oracle from The Matrix. Take that 1999.)
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Going to have to agree with him here.

its a game, make it fun for people, not just yourself, or your chasing players away.

People won't play or invest time in a game if it isn't fun. Its simple.

Quote from: Seeker on October 26, 2015, 04:35:51 PM
Until you are ready to accept that your beloved characters are going to be subject to absolutely random, asinine, and possibly terminal injustices you are going to have a hard time, friend. 

Its not as though someone rolled up guild Assassin, has been killing random NPCs on the streets and leaving them to rot, and then get cornered by the Arm and "unfairly" killed.

If you're subjected to "absolutely random" injustices, then this ceases to be a game. Perhaps some people are accepting of "I spent 3 real life days of my adult life on this character, but this guy thought "lol I'm bored" and killed him without a whole lot of reason" but I don't think I'm the only one who wants to play a game. Being accepting of "sometimes you die" isn't an excuse when its "sometimes you waste all your time on this collaborative storytelling game".

I had a character that was assassinated, for the simple fact of joining "the wrong clan at the wrong time". Damn right I was pissed. I pulled strings, and found out WHY I was killed... suddenly I wasn't so mad. But "doing nothing wrong" and suddenly getting a Mantis Head while shopping for groceries? I mean come on.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I would argue that without knowing much about the PC who kills yours, you can't  really say whether you've  "done nothing wrong".

Quote from: manipura on October 26, 2015, 06:34:32 PM
I would argue that without knowing much about the PC who kills yours, you can't  really say whether you've  "done nothing wrong".

Yes I can. I can also be pretty sure of IC and OOC assumptions made by the other parties.

The argument that "I don't know what was on the other side of that PK" may be valid, but it sure as hell isn't any fun.

I have to agree.

All PCs should be assumed to be played with garbage intentions until proven otherwise. And even then, the player's probably trying to lull you into a false sense of security.

There is almost no 'good death' on Armageddon.  Everyone always feels cheated or wronged somehow, because they just died.  No one intends to die.  Thus it is always jarring, a surprise, and leaves you feeling like something was wonky, because you were being very careful, and doing what you could to -avoid- death, not embrace it.

Thus, when it comes at the hand of other players, it's easy to say they did it 'just for the lolz'.  Killing plotlines is not a very valid argument, since in most cases, it comes as a -result- of plotlines.  What you're actually concerned about is -your- plotlines, not -theirs-, which is why you feel cheated.

One of the things that will make you absolutely paranoid in this game (and sometimes live longer) is think along the lines  of 'Who has a reason to kill me?'.  Don't apply today's standards of what is justifiable, put it in terms of the smallest slights, the inherited slights (if you join a clan), the competition, those who just don't like you, etc.  I find dozens of people who could want me dead at any given time.  Heh.  Point being...I've been here a long time.  I haven't seen -meaningless PK- in a long time.  It always means something to someone for a reason.  You don't have to agree with the reason, or the degree of measure taken for the reason...but you do have to realize it's there, otherwise you're, as you say, not going to enjoy the game, but it's due to your own tunnel-vision on your own PC and standards in a multiplayer game with rampant relativism.

Added due to replies:
Quote from: Alesan on October 26, 2015, 06:57:23 PM
The argument that "I don't know what was on the other side of that PK" may be valid, but it sure as hell isn't any fun.

I have to agree.

As noted,  death is never fun.  I don't know what you're saying, exactly.  "Oh, that makes a lot of sense.  But you should still not do it because it's not what I wanted." is the gist of it, from my vantage point.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I don't know if this is worth the back and forth.  Some people are talking about a specific incident (or incidents) some about generalities.  Agreement between the two is unlikely.

I guess I would only say, Jingo, please don't be too hasty to judge another player if there is any chance that their actions were in keeping with their character.  And even if you somehow magically know that what they did was just for the OOC thrill, I guess I would say griefers are people too.  They deserve to have fun playing this game also (though I hope they will choose to limit when and how, and desperately hope the rest of us won't be judged by their choices, as would seem to have been the case here.)
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Quote from: Jingo on October 26, 2015, 05:14:54 PM
It would have been inappropriate to say unless I have been.  And I decided to keep playing in spite of it.  Not your enemy.

If anyone is expecting a gift-wrapped Villain Speech or some other plot-reveal as part of their death scene explaining the why and wherefore, they are naive.  If anyone counts on every character they encounter to be reasonable and just and they are headed for heartbreak.

I argue for player courtesy.  Always have.  I'm not urging players to make psychopaths who kill for lols.  I have sympathy for character losses.  Lots.  But I stand firmly by my claim:  "Get used to possibility of random tragedy as part of this game."

Sometimes it just might just be because someone was hungry and knew they could sell your boots for meat.  Maybe your rented the wrong apartment.  Sometimes you are the wrong person to walk down the street at the wrong time.  Sometimes you might be the unwitting element of a plot that fourteen other players are all in the know about.  You aren't.  Your character's death somehow becomes a key element.  Sucks.  Sometimes it is just because other players are ass-wipes.  Check the rules.  http://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Armageddon

Seeker
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

Quote from: Armaddict on October 26, 2015, 07:01:42 PM
Added due to replies:
Quote from: Alesan on October 26, 2015, 06:57:23 PM

I have to agree.

As noted,  death is never fun.  I don't know what you're saying, exactly.  "Oh, that makes a lot of sense.  But you should still not do it because it's not what I wanted." is the gist of it, from my vantage point.

I'm not saying don't do it. I'm just saying it's not any fun. I completely realize it will continue and I'm not supposed to be pissed off about it. Telling me to get over it and that I'm a whiny baby for not liking it isn't any fun either.

This is precisely why I petitioned staff to require characters break into dramatic monologues before every kill.

The curly moustache is, of course, optional.

Whatever happens, happens.