Author Topic: Detailed Map of Allanak  (Read 5966 times)

James de Monet

Detailed Map of Allanak
« on: June 09, 2015, 05:37:15 AM »
I started working on a this a while ago, but wasn't able to finish it until recently, when I was able to get some more appropriate meshes.  It isn't entirely to scale, and some areas are blurred out if they're not really important for the average city-goer (and some are covered up for obvious reasons).

It will probably take a moment to load completely, even on a fast connection, and will work much better on a PC than on a phone, because of the mouseover features.  Anyway, enjoy! 

http://armageddontools.searchlightsj.com/AllanakMap.html

P.S.  This was cleared for posting, just in case you're curious.
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Jihelu

Re: Detailed Map of Allanak
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 05:49:56 AM »
I love you.

Gaare

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 06:17:34 AM »
This is very beatiful. Thank you.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -MT

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 06:26:07 AM »
This is amazing.

bcw81

• Helper
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 08:18:01 AM »
Make babies with me?

A female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Barzalene

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 08:29:01 AM »
Beautiful!
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

valeria

• I have a writing page.
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 08:31:21 AM »
It's so clean and pretty.  I can't imagine Allanak as that clean and pretty.

Way to ruin it for me, Monet.  :'(

j/k
A Kuraci regular shouts, in sirihish:
     "Bad move, fool!"
A Kuraci regular slashes a filthy grey rat on its body.

Alesan

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2015, 12:06:38 PM »
This is amazing. Any chance you could mark major landmarks on a map of the Known in the same way?

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2015, 12:34:23 PM »
This is amazing. Any chance you could mark major landmarks on a map of the Known in the same way?

I think it's doubtful it would get approved even if it was pretty obscure.

There should be a general list of things you should know about the wild, living in or around Allanak. Most citizens would probably know about the massive sink-hole, and that the north road leading out of 'nak leads off a cliff, instance. That there was once a volcano out there to the south-west, but is now a flattened, rocky wasteland. The salt-flats and Mekillots to the east.

Alesan

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2015, 12:36:22 PM »

I think it's doubtful it would get approved even if it was pretty obscure.

There should be a general list of things you should know about the wild, living in or around Allanak. Most citizens would probably know about the massive sink-hole, and that the north road leading out of 'nak leads off a cliff, instance. That there was once a volcano out there to the south-west, but is now a flattened, rocky wasteland. The salt-flats and Mekillots to the east.

But such common-knowledge items as these would not be approved for placement on a map?

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2015, 12:50:32 PM »
Not with the detail and density of the Allanak map, no. For instance the Labyrinth was left out of this map, for good reason. It's not a maze anymore if everyone knows where to go. The wilderness is much the same way, just spread out and wide open instead of a tightly packed alleys.

Alesan

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2015, 01:26:31 PM »
But I'm not... asking for density and detail. Just a few markings of major landmarks everyone would reasonably know about. Well, nevermind. If it's completely out of the question, so be it.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2015, 01:30:53 PM »
There used to be at least one map graphic of the known world.  Seems to be unavailable with the current website.  All we have now is http://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Map%20Zalanthas

James de Monet

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2015, 01:44:33 PM »
There used to be at least one map graphic of the known world.  Seems to be unavailable with the current website.  All we have now is http://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Map%20Zalanthas

There's this map, but it doesn't seem to be terribly accurate (and is quite outdated).

Perhaps unsurprisingly, one of the other myriad Armageddon projects I started was a video that kind of showed the evolution of the world, but on a map, like an intro video to the game.  Maybe someday I'll get around to finishing it.

It's so clean and pretty.  I can't imagine Allanak as that clean and pretty.

Way to ruin it for me, Monet.  :'(

Haha, I put blood on the arena floor! All other grit is optional.  ;)  I don't think it would be at all easy to add a realistic level of dirt, as it would require hand-retouching every texture (of which there are hundreds), but it's a valid point, even if you were joking.  Maybe I can find a workaround.  We'll see.
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Synthesis

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2015, 02:16:53 PM »
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: Smuz
I come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: Vanth
Synthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Armaddict

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2015, 02:37:49 PM »
This is fucking amazing, and even for people who knew this already...I'd only visualized it in rooms.  In text.  In excel.

You've put life into the visual of a city, bravo.

You do need the giant corpse pile, though.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Barzalene

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2015, 02:50:41 PM »
Its just as I imagined, except in mirror image, because I'm a little dyslexic.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

CodeMaster

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2015, 02:53:05 PM »
Quality contribution, should probably be accessible from the official site.
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

BadSkeelz

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2015, 03:16:07 PM »

Agreed.

Is there an arch at Stonecarver's and Templars' way? Is that artistic license? Been in Allanak for 3 years and never noticed if there is one.
janeshephard: You really think BadSkeelz understands the concept of Wine In Front of me? This guy shot me as a townie when he felt threatened. The man's a neandrathal.

Miradus: He's not some weird mental abomination. He's just a guy on the internet.

Armaddict

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2015, 03:38:22 PM »

Agreed.

Is there an arch at Stonecarver's and Templars' way? Is that artistic license? Been in Allanak for 3 years and never noticed if there is one.

I had the same thought.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

BadSkeelz

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2015, 03:41:38 PM »
On the plus side, I now have a reason to want to log in today.
janeshephard: You really think BadSkeelz understands the concept of Wine In Front of me? This guy shot me as a townie when he felt threatened. The man's a neandrathal.

Miradus: He's not some weird mental abomination. He's just a guy on the internet.

Naruto

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2015, 04:16:26 PM »
This is awesome work done dude. I have had the map of Nak carved in my mind, but never imagined it this way.

Maybe you could highlight the mountseller as well.
Kore ga watashi no nindouni!

whitt

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2015, 04:18:28 PM »
Please Sticky and/or post to helpfile/main page for new players.  This is awesome.
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

James de Monet

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2015, 04:41:46 PM »

Just artistic license.

Please Sticky and/or post to helpfile/main page for new players.  This is awesome.

I originally started working on this in response to Morg's map call, and I believe staff have a plan to link it in some fashion at some point.  Glad you guys like it!

Hmm.  Mount seller might be a good addition.

BadSkeelz

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2015, 04:44:16 PM »
I was thinking the Stables and Salt Yards as well.

Great work, again.