Newbie achievements

Started by MeTekillot, May 24, 2015, 10:41:52 PM

When you were a newbie, what were the things you strove to achieve with your character? What seemingly insurmountable obstacles and tasks did you carry out that now a little later seem pedestrian?

For me, it was getting a swordbelt. I sold so many corpses to the corpse guy for a knife belt, but wasn't satisfied until I got a swordbelt. On my human burglar.

I thought getting a scrab shell shoulder plate would make me cool.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

I wanted to get my death recorded on the history page.

Juuuuuuust missed it. Did get a tavern post, at least.

I always thought that if you wore a black gem and you stepped out of Allanak's gates, your head would explode like in Running Man, so my first gemmed mage took a crazy amount of months planning his escape via the sewers and risking his life just so he could get to Storm and back.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Dung scraping enough for a beetle.
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

Self sufficiency, as a grebber. Then of course he went walkabout into the arrows of death.

After the dung code was implemented, I wanted to make my Bynner a literal shit cloak. I deliberately Smelly'd all of my equipment.

Quote from: BadSkeelzI wanted to get my death recorded on the history page.

That hardly seems pedestrian!

>kill a carru in single combat
>use woodworking to build a house
>live entirely in the sewers
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

To be skilled enough in combat to tell a Red Fang to bugger off, no arrows THIS year. And kill a carru toe to toe. <Sigh>.  Eventually both happened, but not with that PC.
At your table, the XXXXXXXX templar says in sirihish, echoing:
     "Everyone is SAFE in His Walls."

I rescued a templar from an assassin in the Trader's in without having any idea what I was doing.

He promptly told me 'Welcome to the militia.'

Then I went out and died to a scrab.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Starting and leading your own indie 'clan' funded by the social elite.
There is a candle in your heart, ready to be kindled. There is a void in your soul, ready to be filled. Can you feel it?  Can you?
- Rumi

Getting from Allanak to Tuluk by myself.

Also, not immediately fleeing when anything (and I mean anything) attacked me.

May 25, 2015, 01:55:32 PM #13 Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 02:02:12 PM by Revenant
Getting promoted before that other asshole so they can't boss you around (failed).
Live a happy, carefree life away from crazy drama (impossible).
Survive this damn arena match to win my freedom! (also impossible)
Not fall in the gith chasm. (impossible, gith chasm has gravity so strong, not even light can escape!)
Survive a fall off the shield wall alone and make it safely back to tell the tale. (success!)
Steal the pants right off someone. (impossible without lots of careful persuasion, usually failed)
Work for the important people and nobles. (not all it's cracked up to be, not my cup of tea, usually short lived)
Learn to survive in the rinth. (accomplished!)
Learn to get by and not get murdered in Storm for being talkative. (Also done!)
Ride a skimmer and live to talk about it. (several times! Just, almost didn't each time)
Upset Kadians by having my breed mercenary successfully engage in dirty talk with their favorite hunter gal. (Done! Also, he was never allowed back in that wagon)
Slay a giant mantis. (YESSSS!)

May 25, 2015, 01:57:21 PM #14 Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 02:01:57 PM by Revenant
Quote from: Revenant on May 25, 2015, 01:55:32 PM
Meant to edit and hit quote by mistake. lern 2 post newb

Back before there were subguilds or karma for that matter, I played a sorceror that lived in Nak's sewer. Sorcerors then didn't have any useful skills; I think they fell out of the cradle and hit their head or something because they couldn't do anything without their magic.

My goal: Skin a rat so I can have something to eat.

I failed at this and had to abandon my home so that I didn't starve (or get eaten by the rats that were nearly killing me when I "hunted")

Not all sorcerors can be grand masters of evil :P

According to my account notes, my first character's objective was "To make it to Red in Tor".

I failed.  The only time I saw my PC leader was when I was recruited.  I stopped playing Arm after about two weeks, and stored her when I decided to give the game another try.

I haven't to this day made it to Red in Tor  :P
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Reading these achievements and realizing how many I haven't actually achieved, I've come to the conclusion that I'm still very much a newbie.

Play a Kuraci family member.  I really wanted to be Something-Di Kurac, the fiesty, hotshot wagon pilot with nine fingers.  I think it was my second email to the mud after having played for less than a month, complete with a HUGE ASS description and background.  I was told to get a little more experience and try later.

Still haven't made a Kuraci family member.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: LauraMars on May 25, 2015, 06:07:38 PM
Play a Kuraci family member.  I really wanted to be Something-Di Kurac, the fiesty, hotshot wagon pilot with nine fingers.  I think it was my second email to the mud after having played for less than a month, complete with a HUGE ASS description and background.  I was told to get a little more experience and try later.

Still haven't made a Kuraci family member.

Ass descriptions are my favourite type of description!
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

Girl, dat ass gots its own background?!

Getting more then five pieces of cotton in an IC day & living past my first week (IRL week)

LOL yes...of course dat ass had its own background

what do you take me for
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

I want to have sex with a templar soooo bad.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Quote from: nauta on May 26, 2015, 12:57:15 AM

PM me, I'm a Templar in real life if you know what I mean 8) (I don't)
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Might be underwhelming after they take off their medallion their shouts for the highlord won't do anything spectacular.
<19:14:06> "Bushranger": Why is it always about sex with animals with you Jihelu?
<19:14:13> "Jihelu": IT's not always /with/ animals

Quote from: Malken on May 26, 2015, 02:23:21 AM

PM me, I'm a Templar in real life if you know what I mean 8) (I don't)

Actually, I -am- a Templar in real life. The Knights Templar is a Masonic appendant body, of which I am a member. And of course, since it's a part of the Freemasons, and we rule the world, it is pretty much just like Armageddon Templars.
Someone says, out of character:
     "no, the mace did not explode, that was his testicle"

May 26, 2015, 10:15:40 AM #27 Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 10:17:45 AM by Desertman
I wanted more than anything to be able to skin the shell off of a scrab with my Bynner ranger.

This turned out to be ridiculously hard and to this day I have no idea why.

I actually managed to live about 6 RL months with this goofy PC of mine that I thought was the bee's knees (he wasn't). I went on so many "Byn rides" and always wanted to skin the scrabs.

I was that annoying shit that every time the scrab died I was all, "Hey-Sarge-can-I-skin-it-please?". I got to skin a lot actually.

I never once that I can recall actually managed to get the damn shell off one.

Not ONCE.

After months of no shells...a newbie joined our group. We ride out on their first ride, they get to skin a scrab and get the shell on their first attempt.

To my everlasting shame, I had an OOC meltdown right there on the spot in front of my entire crew. I was so pissed. I can't remember what all I said but it included a lot of cursing using the OOC command and complaining about never having got that scrab shell.

My Sergeant at the time OOC'ly calmed me down and explained to me I shouldn't and couldn't  be using OOC for what I was using it for.

Newbies, no matter what you do...you will never do anything this cringe worthy. Take note. (I was 13 at the time, but still.)

(Oh, and to this day, even if I have no use for them, I always get a little happy feeling deep down when I get the scrab shell off a scrab. I'm not even joking.)
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

I survived to 18 days played as a newbie ranger living almost entirely outside of the city.

Ran with Durg's crew, aided a renegade mul that saved her from a desert elf but was widely accused of kidnapping her instead, swapped tales around the campfire with an Anyali, and got in trouble in Luir's a lot. To the point where the Kuraci family there made a point of saying (paraphrased), "You're always here when trouble shows up" - I took it as a compliment.

She finally died due to a treacherous desert elf and a nest of <redacted>. He mocked her through the Way as she slowly died.

It was pretty awesome.

I'd had pretty extensive experience playing other MUDs, but that character was when I started learning how to roleplay for realsies.

Will any templar do?
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: Barzalene on May 26, 2015, 10:59:23 AM

Will any templar do?

All this can make me think about is "The Magic Stick" song.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Quote from: Desertman on May 26, 2015, 10:15:40 AM
I wanted more than anything to be able to skin the shell off of a scrab with my Bynner ranger.

This turned out to be ridiculously hard and to this day I have no idea why.

I actually managed to live about 6 RL months with this goofy PC of mine that I thought was the bee's knees (he wasn't). I went on so many "Byn rides" and always wanted to skin the scrabs.

I was that annoying shit that every time the scrab died I was all, "Hey-Sarge-can-I-skin-it-please?". I got to skin a lot actually.

I never once that I can recall actually managed to get the damn shell off one.

Not ONCE.

After months of no shells...a newbie joined our group. We ride out on their first ride, they get to skin a scrab and get the shell on their first attempt.

To my everlasting shame, I had an OOC meltdown right there on the spot in front of my entire crew. I was so pissed. I can't remember what all I said but it included a lot of cursing using the OOC command and complaining about never having got that scrab shell.

My Sergeant at the time OOC'ly calmed me down and explained to me I shouldn't and couldn't  be using OOC for what I was using it for.

Newbies, no matter what you do...you will never do anything this cringe worthy. Take note. (I was 13 at the time, but still.)

(Oh, and to this day, even if I have no use for them, I always get a little happy feeling deep down when I get the scrab shell off a scrab. I'm not even joking.)

This story is absolutely darling.

I came from purely back and slash kids and was pissed that my ranger couldn't kill a tregil
<19:14:06> "Bushranger": Why is it always about sex with animals with you Jihelu?

Quote from: Beethoven on May 25, 2015, 09:49:14 AM
Quote from: BadSkeelzI wanted to get my death recorded on the history page.

That hardly seems pedestrian!

Depends on how you're playing the game, really. First character could have died in the HRPT but didn't (not through lack of trying), and the second one was stored with Tuluk (which I'm sure will get on the history page soon).

I would have really liked to have ridden with a two-handed grip on that first character. Damn thug subguild.

I tried to hit on a templar once, as a city elf. It went a lot better than I expected, but did not result in hot Templar mudsex, it might have resulted in a "hug", though.

My first character ever was a whiran (very pre-karma era). My neighbor introduced me to Armageddon and I regularly would be at his house watching over his shoulder as he played his gypsy witch (he was buddies with Aryk, back when the Gypsies actually wandered the lands in a wagon all gypsy-like). Finally I got up the nerve to try it myself.

So, with my newbie whiran I decided to randomly teleport around exploring the world some. And imagine my surprise when I randomly ended up inside the Gypsy wagon cargo hold full of sweet loot! (anyone else remember the copper bells or the steel half swords that a few Naki soldier NPCs had back then?) I was happily pillaging the chests when in walks my neighbor's PC who very promptly put my wimpy whiran down.

After about five minutes, I went over to his apartment and as I opened the door, he is laughing and says, "OMG! I just killed some idiot who was in our wagon stealing things!". He had no idea it was my PC. Was pretty funny, actually.

It was that moment though, that I became HOOKED.
Someone says, out of character:
     "no, the mace did not explode, that was his testicle"

I wanted to be a House assassin, like in Dune. Not an elf, strangely enough.

Obtain a lockpick.  I didn't realize at the time I couldn't actually use it as the guild I chose...but I wanted it.

Quote from: wizturbo on May 27, 2015, 04:08:23 PM
Obtain a lockpick.  I didn't realize at the time I couldn't actually use it as the guild I chose...but I wanted it.

Obtain pick that is totally useless for picking a lock.  FTW.
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

Crossing the Known was a big deal.  My first character died trying to walk from Allanak to Tuluk.  My second character managed to join the Byn and got to ride north, where he made a spectacular fool of himself.  Bowed to northern nobility... and a few GMH family.  Denounced the acquisition and usage of spice.  Got knocked out by an NPC in the tribal market, then robbed while sleeping, and had to report back to his sergeant without his uniform or his boots.  Also had some spice slipped on his person at some point... good thing Sarge knew to do a "spice check" before entering the gates of Allanak.   :D

My second goal was to have an Allanaki travel to Tuluk, join the Poet's Circle by virtue of just being damned impressive/persistent, become a famous bard, then return home and impress people for having had such an awesome story.  Certainly I underestimated the level of social mobility between the two city-states.  That character went on to have a fulfilling domestic life, though.

My third big goal was play a magicker, be latent for at least one IG year, and then make my characters friends cry when he manifested.  That plan went off pretty flawlessly and it was everything I hoped it would be.

(PRE-EDIT: I just realized that I actually did succeed at goal #2 with a more recent character...   ;D )

May 27, 2015, 04:30:21 PM #40 Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 04:31:59 PM by wizturbo
Quote from: Marauder Moe on May 27, 2015, 04:24:37 PM

My third big goal was play a magicker, be latent for at least one IG year, and then make my characters friends cry when he manifested.  That plan went off pretty flawlessly and it was everything I hoped it would be.

I played a character like that as my third character too!  I think I stayed undercover for like 2 IG years (which I was totally shocked by) before someone outed me and I fled to Luirs and met Shatuka, Advisor Danu, Calus, and that whole crazy group of Kuraci that I remember with such fondness.

Third goal, fourth character.  Though my "first" character barely counts.  I only played for like half an hour, hiding in an alley hoping to mug someone, before I got bored and started walking north... into Gith territory.

My first major 'goal' as a newb, was to make it to Trooper in the Byn and be a hardass merc.

Quote from: Clearsighted on May 27, 2015, 09:58:06 PM
My first major 'goal' as a newb, was to make it to Trooper in the Byn and be a hardass merc.

I remember having the goal of just making it past recruitment in any clan.  ;D

I think I also got yelled at oocly by the whole gaj because I didn't read that there was no sex discrimination in arm and laughed at a woman who told me she wanted to be a soldier or bynner or something.

Because I made a but you're a woman comment.

Making a friend when you first get into the game feels good. Especially if they aren't baby sitting you.

Quote from: Flying Erdlu on May 26, 2015, 08:30:51 AM
Actually, I -am- a Templar in real life. The Knights Templar is a Masonic appendant body, of which I am a member. And of course, since it's a part of the Freemasons, and we rule the world, it is pretty much just like Armageddon Templars.

Who controls the British crown?
Who keeps the metric system down?
We do, we do
Who keeps Atlantis off the maps?
Who keeps the Martians under wraps?
We do, we do
Who holds back the electric car?
Who makes Steve Gutenberg a star?
We do, we do
Who robs cave fish of their sight?
Who rigs every Oscar night?
We do... we do!

I once wanted to be able to apply racism as the aggressor properly without over-the-top concern for the player behind the keyboard. I succeeded.

I have since I began playing wanted to make a character I didn't eventually want to store. Succeeded that too.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

June 01, 2015, 03:53:42 PM #48 Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 05:39:18 PM by Shoka Windrunner
I don't think it was my first character, it was about 20 years ago I think.  I'm pretty sure I had a few rangers, a mul and an elf rinther, and maybe a sorc? Back when you had to make a new account for every character I believe. All the above lived about a day.

Then I made a Whiran, back when Tuluk liked and tolerated magickers and Allanak killed on sight. Every one of them sat in this temple building outside the walls and socialized and spam-casted.  I had this goal of finding Steinal. I found a LOT of stuff, but no idea if any of it had anything to do with Steinal.

He had a total of 4 spells that he got good at and one he might pull off half the time.  All he ever needed. Explored the world, and I mean probably 90% of it. Told wild true tales that no one ever believed, but were not lies. Joined the J'Karr when having a magicker was okay still, and while he left later and I think outlived everyone else in that clan, wore his cloak proudly till he died. I saw that fellow eat that last sandwich too. Got sucked into a nightmare world in one of the cities and escaped with a bunch of -redacted- while fighting undead soldiers and templars.  I used to raid the halfling village for food when I was broke.  Owned an actual, real, SILVER METAL ring that I wore proudly. Would go into Allanak once every 5 or 6 months and sit in the Gaj, telling wild stories and talking shit until a templar woukd arrive and I would blast the -redacted- spell and escape.  Helped a certain Tuluki templar raid a tomb for some skull, emoted picking up a rock as a souvenier, and a kindly Staff member actually made me a rock and gave it to me.  It might have been the first rock ever in game.

Finally, I'm not 100% sure, about 90%, that he was finally killed, after 60 or 80 in game years, changing from a youth until a grey haired man, by none other than a Dragon. I think Highlord Tektolnes.

Yup. Never thought I would enjoy the game that much again and finally after a break, did again.  Now I just like living a life in Zalanthas.  Regardless what happens.

Oh, and I dont remember ever killing a person. Not directly anyway.
At your table, the badass dun-clad female says in tribal-accented sirihish, putting on a piping voice, incongruous not the least because it doesn't get rid of her rasp:
     "'Oh, I killed me a forest cat!' That's nice; I wiped me bum after taking a shit.

"What did you do with your life?"
"I explored and harmed no one"
I want a life like that.

Being able to fly away from danger makes it sound easier.

Though my greatest achievement is probably just killing a Tembo.

I didn't even do most of the work but I count it.

Quote from: Jihelu on June 01, 2015, 06:00:06 PM
"What did you do with your life?"
"I explored and harmed no one"
I want a life like that.

Being able to fly away from danger makes it sound easier.

Though my greatest achievement is probably just killing a Tembo.

I didn't even do most of the work but I count it.

I couldn't fly.   ;D  4.5
At your table, the badass dun-clad female says in tribal-accented sirihish, putting on a piping voice, incongruous not the least because it doesn't get rid of her rasp:
     "'Oh, I killed me a forest cat!' That's nice; I wiped me bum after taking a shit.

Successfully cooked more meat than I burned.  Once.

I think I had been playing about two or three years when I orchestrated this circumventious plot making the Tuluki templarate that my Kadian agent (my first leadership role) had murdered a citizen in cold blood in order to find out who was really trying to kill them.

Having said person walk through the door a few moments after they inform me that I will be publically executed for preforming an unlicensed murder of a citizen... I felt like I had won Armageddon.

Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: whitt on June 02, 2015, 05:21:59 PM
Successfully cooked more meat than I burned.  Once.

>bow whitt
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

My first gicker was a rogue elf who wandered the flats, lands beyond and allanki lands using tons of knowledge gained from the deaths of many explorer characters--- but it was still a 95% idiot character, whenever you tuned in to watch.

As for achievements.... I only recently learned how to really do magickers, and what paces are acceptable. Its probably a good thing I'm low karma.