Newbie achievements

Started by MeTekillot, May 24, 2015, 10:41:52 PM

When you were a newbie, what were the things you strove to achieve with your character? What seemingly insurmountable obstacles and tasks did you carry out that now a little later seem pedestrian?

For me, it was getting a swordbelt. I sold so many corpses to the corpse guy for a knife belt, but wasn't satisfied until I got a swordbelt. On my human burglar.

I thought getting a scrab shell shoulder plate would make me cool.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

I wanted to get my death recorded on the history page.

Juuuuuuust missed it. Did get a tavern post, at least.

I always thought that if you wore a black gem and you stepped out of Allanak's gates, your head would explode like in Running Man, so my first gemmed mage took a crazy amount of months planning his escape via the sewers and risking his life just so he could get to Storm and back.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Dung scraping enough for a beetle.
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

Self sufficiency, as a grebber. Then of course he went walkabout into the arrows of death.

After the dung code was implemented, I wanted to make my Bynner a literal shit cloak. I deliberately Smelly'd all of my equipment.

Quote from: BadSkeelzI wanted to get my death recorded on the history page.

That hardly seems pedestrian!

>kill a carru in single combat
>use woodworking to build a house
>live entirely in the sewers
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

To be skilled enough in combat to tell a Red Fang to bugger off, no arrows THIS year. And kill a carru toe to toe. <Sigh>.  Eventually both happened, but not with that PC.
At your table, the XXXXXXXX templar says in sirihish, echoing:
     "Everyone is SAFE in His Walls."

I rescued a templar from an assassin in the Trader's in without having any idea what I was doing.

He promptly told me 'Welcome to the militia.'

Then I went out and died to a scrab.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Starting and leading your own indie 'clan' funded by the social elite.
There is a candle in your heart, ready to be kindled. There is a void in your soul, ready to be filled. Can you feel it?  Can you?
- Rumi

Getting from Allanak to Tuluk by myself.

Also, not immediately fleeing when anything (and I mean anything) attacked me.

May 25, 2015, 01:55:32 PM #13 Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 02:02:12 PM by Revenant
Getting promoted before that other asshole so they can't boss you around (failed).
Live a happy, carefree life away from crazy drama (impossible).
Survive this damn arena match to win my freedom! (also impossible)
Not fall in the gith chasm. (impossible, gith chasm has gravity so strong, not even light can escape!)
Survive a fall off the shield wall alone and make it safely back to tell the tale. (success!)
Steal the pants right off someone. (impossible without lots of careful persuasion, usually failed)
Work for the important people and nobles. (not all it's cracked up to be, not my cup of tea, usually short lived)
Learn to survive in the rinth. (accomplished!)
Learn to get by and not get murdered in Storm for being talkative. (Also done!)
Ride a skimmer and live to talk about it. (several times! Just, almost didn't each time)
Upset Kadians by having my breed mercenary successfully engage in dirty talk with their favorite hunter gal. (Done! Also, he was never allowed back in that wagon)
Slay a giant mantis. (YESSSS!)

May 25, 2015, 01:57:21 PM #14 Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 02:01:57 PM by Revenant
Quote from: Revenant on May 25, 2015, 01:55:32 PM
Meant to edit and hit quote by mistake. lern 2 post newb

Back before there were subguilds or karma for that matter, I played a sorceror that lived in Nak's sewer. Sorcerors then didn't have any useful skills; I think they fell out of the cradle and hit their head or something because they couldn't do anything without their magic.

My goal: Skin a rat so I can have something to eat.

I failed at this and had to abandon my home so that I didn't starve (or get eaten by the rats that were nearly killing me when I "hunted")

Not all sorcerors can be grand masters of evil :P

According to my account notes, my first character's objective was "To make it to Red in Tor".

I failed.  The only time I saw my PC leader was when I was recruited.  I stopped playing Arm after about two weeks, and stored her when I decided to give the game another try.

I haven't to this day made it to Red in Tor  :P
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Reading these achievements and realizing how many I haven't actually achieved, I've come to the conclusion that I'm still very much a newbie.

Play a Kuraci family member.  I really wanted to be Something-Di Kurac, the fiesty, hotshot wagon pilot with nine fingers.  I think it was my second email to the mud after having played for less than a month, complete with a HUGE ASS description and background.  I was told to get a little more experience and try later.

Still haven't made a Kuraci family member.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: LauraMars on May 25, 2015, 06:07:38 PM
Play a Kuraci family member.  I really wanted to be Something-Di Kurac, the fiesty, hotshot wagon pilot with nine fingers.  I think it was my second email to the mud after having played for less than a month, complete with a HUGE ASS description and background.  I was told to get a little more experience and try later.

Still haven't made a Kuraci family member.

Ass descriptions are my favourite type of description!
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

Girl, dat ass gots its own background?!

Getting more then five pieces of cotton in an IC day & living past my first week (IRL week)

LOL yes...of course dat ass had its own background

what do you take me for
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

I want to have sex with a templar soooo bad.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Quote from: nauta on May 26, 2015, 12:57:15 AM
I want to have sex with a templar soooo bad.

PM me, I'm a Templar in real life if you know what I mean 8) (I don't)
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."