Shields and combat

Started by Cuusardo, September 25, 2003, 12:26:32 PM

Your opponent hits you, barely grazing your shield.

When this happened, I took a point of damage.  I did not realize that my shield was a part of me.  Is this supposed to happen?
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

This comes up every now and then.  Yes, this is the way it is.  It is not a bad thing.  If it hadn't been your shield, which as you noted took very little damage, it would have been something else.  Imagine a guy with a club runs up to and bashes you with it.  You stop it dead on with a shield instead of deflecting it like you should.  You stop the majority of the blow, but you can believe it would still hurt.  Shield hits generally are just nicks.  I don't recall ever seeing someone take serious damage from getting hit in the shield.

I've always seen this as the shock coming -through- the shield, reaching your arm/tentacle/mandible.

But, yeah, I'd treat that as a blow that the shield just didn't stop, but eased on the damage factor.
"The most important thing is to find out what is the most important thing." -- Shunryu Suzuki

running...

running...

You are exhausted.

The bahamet does freightening damage to your shield.

Yoinks!

There are exceptions, most are out of player combat though. For all intents and purposes Half-Giants are not PCs, they are defined as scary.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.