Speech impediment

Started by Tamarin, September 24, 2003, 07:01:03 PM

I had two ideas.  Feedback please:

It's easy enough to set an alias along the lines of:

alias tt talk (in a really heavy accent)

This will make you speak at tables with the aforementioned option.  This gets complicated if you want to make a similar alias for the tell or whisper command (or whatever).

How about adding a new parameter to the change command.  Something along the lines of 'change accent (message)'.  This will make all says/tells/whispers/talks/shouts etc tagged with whatever accent or way of speaking that you want.  Of course, people would have to roleplay this appropriately and not ditch their 'heavy rinth accent' because they feel like it.  This will add depth to characters who have suffered throat damage, or who have odd accents.  

My other idea is a jibberish command.  To speak in jibberish, you have to type it yourself.  I don't know about you, but typing in jibberish syllables with a good mix of vowels and consonants is not easy because you -do- have to think about it.  Perhaps a 'jibberish' command that automatically scrambles every speech command your character performs.

Thoughts?
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Well, I think those are very creative ideas.  However, I disagree with them.

On the first idea: this is just one woman's opinion, but I would find it extremely annoying and unoriginal to see the same emote-tag on every single talk, say, and tell. I've seen it before with a prominent, long-lived character, and quite frankly it made me grit my teeth.  I'd prefer it if people would find several different ways to portray the same thing, or at least mix it up, maybe every third emote.

As for the second suggestion...if you want your character to have been raised by scrabs or have a speech impediment or something, I think it's up to you to portray that.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.