Tribal Talk

Started by Rathustra, April 21, 2015, 12:08:44 PM

Quote from: Is Friday on April 21, 2015, 07:50:28 PM
Quote from: BadSkeelz on April 21, 2015, 07:49:08 PM
The Arabeti and Al'Seik also share each others tents/are considered "sister tribes." That's somewhere in the public docs. From a management perspective they're treated as a single clan, I think.

Still just one example of many that happesn to be open and not necessarily a fair indicator of Human tribals should interact and be a part of the rest of the game world.
Then the suggestion is that tribal roleplay should be restricted in more ways, in order to provide a richer experience for those engaging in it.

slvrmoontiger:
No, that's not what this thread is about.

The thread is about tribals getting a free pass because of speaking accents and not being kept to roleplaying correctly. My example fit in perfectly with this. How are you determining who is a tribal if you really have NO way, other than someone saying "I'm a tribal." (that person could be lying too.), of knowing that someone is a tribal. So unless you were commenting on something else please don't tell me I'm wrong.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Because I only play Lirathans.

edit:
Okay, I see your point.

My suggestion is still that play be restricted to coded clans or created "tribes" through the request tool, though.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: Is Friday on April 21, 2015, 07:50:28 PM
Then the suggestion is that tribal roleplay should be restricted in more ways, in order to provide a richer experience for those engaging in it.

And that's where we're not going to agree. I'm exceptionally leery of restricting any sort of roleplay on the off-chance that you restrict people out of wanting to try it. If Human Tribal RP was restricted to be close to what the Open Clans currently provide, I wouldn't do it because that flavor of RP holds limited interest to me. This might achieve your goal of making Human Tribals rare, but you're going to wind up with a diminished pool of players and eventually a bland, familiar repeating product.

Players should be encouraged to RP a rich tribal experience, of the pre-existing variety or of their own choosing. The Tribal Role Call addition was a step in the right direction there.

Players should be discouraged from using the tribal accent or "background" as a multipass.

April 21, 2015, 08:02:12 PM #53 Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 08:11:13 PM by Is Friday
Quote from: BadSkeelz on April 21, 2015, 07:59:59 PM
Players should be encouraged to RP a rich tribal experience, of the pre-existing variety or of their own choosing. The Tribal Role Call addition was a step in the right direction there.

Players should be discouraged from using the tribal accent or "background" as a multipass.
You cannot enforce rules and regulations without guidelines. If a player does not outline at least a bare minimum (whatever that might be decided on) then the staff have no fair way in which to police the RP of indie tribals.

For example: If a Red Fang were seen hobnobbing with an ATV and there was no documentation or NPC (staff) reinforcement of their virtual relations, it would seem heavy-handed and unfair of staff to add negative account notes or do something harsh against your PC. I've personally had this happen to me when the documentation was far more sparse and I was given very little "guidance". I was punished for not understanding a role before. Some people never take criticism of any kind poorly and at the very least most people do not take criticism well at certain times. Having an understanding of what tribal role you are playing will lead to less conflict between staff and players.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

April 21, 2015, 08:23:13 PM #54 Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 08:36:49 PM by Molten Heart
This is a better idea for elves (city and desert elves) because tribes play a more central role for them than for humans.  Humans with tribal origins don't necessarily need to be tied to a tribe.
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

April 21, 2015, 08:25:28 PM #55 Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 08:30:37 PM by BadSkeelz
Quote from: Molten Heart on April 21, 2015, 08:23:13 PM
Human tribals don't necessarily need to be tied to a tribe.

I have a feeling that's part of IF's problem with them. I don't find it a particularly fun or interesting RP angle, either. Why play a tribal if you don't have some cool tribal background to color your character and actions?

Edit: the obvious counter point of "how's that different from a city elf" is that human tribals, by and large, aren't going to get shit on quite to the point of needing to develop a "fuck with one of us, fuck with all of us" defense mechanisms like City Elves have. If human tribal PCs were treated to the same level of abuse as City Elf PCs, you'd probably see similar complaints about the role and a desire to tribe-app.

Pretty much.

You get the tragic wangst of being a breed because your tribe got wiped out but you don't have to bother being held to the RP standard of being a breed, don't have to worry about having not-so-good strength and endurance, you get an all-access pass accent, and so you can talk like Tarzan and seduce all the nubile city women?

/em grunts approvingly, eats banana.

Somewhere, someone mentioned something about a community. Playing a 'tribal' would suggest to me that they're part of a 'tribe', or 'community'. Some people manage to pull off representing a virtual community with their indie tribal pc, the vast majority don't, because it's supremely tough, I know I can't really do it. A bit of documentation and a coded home really brings this sense of community to life, now add even one or two other PC's, and your tribe has a pulse that can be felt by other PC's in the game world.

I think more tribal play restrictions would be beneficial and actually keep the role feeling fresh and lively. I might be the only player that rolls his/her eyes every time I come across a regurgitation of the same indie tribal concept, but I doubt it. If staff were to open up one or two more tribes, even if one is a bare bones people group based in Luirs, and limit/restrict indie tribals, I think you'd see a greater sense of community in tribal rp. Which is what tribal rp should be about, community.

As a tribal pc, your community is your identity. Even if you abandoned or turned on your tribe, it should be a bigger deal than one sentence in your first bio. Why does it seem like a crazy idea to try and really push the idea that tribals should have codedly developed, documented and monitored community roleplay? How would it hurt the game?

Meh, another thread where some people say that 90% of the playerbase "isn't doing it right." This time up on the chopping block, human tribals.

I've seen a variety of tribal RP styles, from established tribes like the gypsies and arabeti to plenty, plenty of indie tribals that I thought were good. I admit that the tribal feels deeper when the player has created some background docs for themself to play it out; I talked to some players who do this, and I was convinced it helps. However, that same player just rolled up the PC with a regular app. To the imm approving such an app, it looks like any other tribal, without them knowing if the player made something as a reference or not. I think that's totally fine.

I would never start saying that such an effort should be mandatory at all, just like I wouldn't ask someone who is from the city to make a document for all their family.

The entire premise behind this argument is ridiculous and way off base. -1.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2