Tuluk Closing to PC play -- discussion thread

Started by ArmageddonMUD, April 13, 2015, 01:18:17 PM

April 21, 2015, 10:38:14 AM #600 Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 10:47:13 AM by Nyr
Just throwing it out there...

Please don't throw it out there.  It's an IC thing and all of the info getting out about it is pretty much incorrect anyway in terms of scope or veracity.  Please wait until this can be discussed.  -Nyr
Czar of City Elves.

If you are mentioning something happening IC, then no, do not throw it out there.  We'll be able to discuss it more once there is something available publicly.  Until then, please do not engage in the throwing of things.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

es thing
throw thing nyr east
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Quote from: Erythil on April 19, 2015, 03:24:45 PM
I want to post my opinions on the plot as it stands at the moment -- what I think is good and what I think is not as good -- but it would be full of spoilers.   ???

Send me a request and I'll respond personally.

Quote from: Rathustra on April 21, 2015, 12:06:05 PM

What kind of request exactly would be best to get this to you?  I have some thoughts as well.

Quote from: wizturbo on April 21, 2015, 01:51:19 PM
Quote from: Rathustra on April 21, 2015, 12:06:05 PM

What kind of request exactly would be best to get this to you?  I have some thoughts as well.

Question request, CC'd to Tuluki Templars.

I would personally discourage players from crossing the line into ridiculousness when trying to cater to Tuluki PCs.

Wholesale slaughter isn't required to make them feel uncomfortable and afraid - they shouldn't be fleeing a despotic city just to land in the (even just outwardly) warm embrace of Allanak. IMO they should be fleeing one despotic city for another choice that's just barely less terrible than remaining where they were. Immediately rolling them into your society with open arms because of OOC considerations seems like falling a little too far over the line of believability, and I hope not to see (m)any examples of that in-game.

/emote paces on the outside, waiting to get back in.

Quote from: Delirium on April 21, 2015, 02:05:25 PM
I would personally discourage players from crossing the line into ridiculousness when trying to cater to Tuluki PCs.

Wholesale slaughter isn't required to make them feel uncomfortable and afraid - they shouldn't be fleeing a despotic city just to land in the (even just outwardly) warm embrace of Allanak. IMO they should be fleeing one despotic city for another choice that's just barely less terrible than remaining where they were. Immediately rolling them into your society with open arms because of OOC considerations seems like falling a little too far over the line of believability, and I hope not to see (m)any examples of that in-game.

Is it really that bad? That doesn't sound like our player base. I mean, shit, I PKed a day old PC who had the misfortune of creating a nothern-origin character (inks included) in Allanak right after one of the big war RPTs, on a Templar's order. I think he was one of my dead clanmates, too...

Remember Allanakis, them Tulukis am here to take are jerbs! Exclusion and hostility are the order of the day in Zalanthas.

Please do not assume that examples you see of "Tuluki welcoming" in-game are at all related to OOC motivations.  I know it's only logical to worry about this sort of thing, but from my experiences lately there has been absolutely zero pressure from staff to give these PC's special treatment.  If you're wondering why there aren't Tuluki refugees strung up outside of Red's Retreat, look to purely IC reasons, and you'll find answers.

Love this change especially since it's not just disappearing. I love Tuluk I do but recently the player base had been spread thin. This change will spark more political and tribal role play than its taking away. Good job.
Respect. Responsibility. Compassion.

April 21, 2015, 03:21:08 PM #611 Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 03:24:46 PM by Malken
Quote from: BadSkeelz on April 21, 2015, 02:23:26 PM

Is it really that bad? That doesn't sound like our player base. I mean, shit, I PKed a day old PC who had the misfortune of creating a nothern-origin character (inks included) in Allanak right after one of the big war RPTs, on a Templar's order. I think he was one of my dead clanmates, too...

Remember Allanakis, them Tulukis am here to take are jerbs! Exclusion and hostility are the order of the day in Zalanthas.

With that sort of dumb attitude, I wish there was another city I could play aside from Allanak. OH WAIT. THERE ISN'T. Let's all make cookie cutter Allanaki Tektolnes worshippers, that'll be great fun.

Why not put a black gem on Tuluki's neck while we're at it, THEY ARE ABOMINATIONS BORN WITH THE WRONG ACCENT.

Staff, I think the closing of Tuluk has lasted long enough, I don't like playing with players who find any sort of stupid ass reasons to PK your PC acceptable, which is why I've always hated playing in Allanak to begin with. Re-open Tuluk plz.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Badskeelz is stating an extreme example that is extremely rare in Allanak. That sort of thing doesn't generally happen. I don't know why Templars order people to kill random blatantly-newly-rolled-in PCs, but that's really not very nice of them to do that.

Also somewhere in the helpfiles there's something about people being mean and shit like that and something about getting over it.

Quote from: Saellyn on April 21, 2015, 03:28:24 PM
Badskeelz is stating an extreme example that is extremely rare in Allanak. That sort of thing doesn't generally happen. I don't know why Templars order people to kill random blatantly-newly-rolled-in PCs, but that's really not very nice of them to do that.

Also somewhere in the helpfiles there's something about people being mean and shit like that and something about getting over it.

Yeah, I found it.

Quote3. Sometimes people are retarded. There are no rules against being extremely retarded to others that your character may meet, be it retarded cheating, retarded stealing, retarded killing, retarded swindling, or otherwise making a retard out of you in turn. The sole exception to this is termed 'the rule of consent', and is outlined both in "help consent" and in point 6, below.

If they're trying to kill you, ally yourself with their enemies and see what happens.
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

There was a war on, Malken. (Still is, as far as I know?) We were under no obligation to allow an enemy alien to continue stealing His Air.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on April 21, 2015, 03:36:23 PM
There was a war on, Malken. (Still is, as far as I know?) We were under no obligation to allow an enemy alien to continue stealing His Air.

That's why you beat the shit out of him, rob him blind then kick him out with a knife, a gourd of half piss, half water and tell him to never come back.

That at least gives a new character a semi chance of survival without just PK'ing him. That's me, though. I'd probably make a shitty Templar with that sort of attitude.

@ Malken, The one benefit Northerner's have in the South over Southerner's is we are already predispositioned to be more cooperative, based on the type of atmosphere Tuluk formerly was. This coupled with the fact that we are now displaced refugees should bond us farther. In all honesty Southern Pc's should be far more wary of Northerners right now then they have ever been in the past. Many if not all of them have vast array's of powerful contact's looking for purpose and if that purpose is survival then maybe it's the South that should be looking over their shoulders. I have no love for Southerner's and should one follow me out of a bar, I would certainly find it amusing for them to stroll up on you in an alley only to find its exits blocked by a gang of Northerners.

Truly Northern Pc's are at a point were they could largely function in the vacuum left by the missing city elf clans. We are just as sneaky, only in our own way.

First thing is first, guys: There have always been Tulukis in Allanak, and vice versa. It's not uncommon to have refugees in either city.

Next up: Tulukis aren't the majority in the south. If they start fucking with southerners, I'd expect to see them in the arena in short order.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Quote from: Malken on April 21, 2015, 03:43:33 PM
Quote from: BadSkeelz on April 21, 2015, 03:36:23 PM

That's why you beat the shit out of him, rob him blind then kick him out with a knife, a gourd of half piss, half water and tell him to never come back.

That at least gives a new character a semi chance of survival without just PK'ing him. That's me, though. I'd probably make a shitty Templar with that sort of attitude.

I've always been a fan of the "leave them for dead in the desert" way of disposing of your enemies because A ) I never hear from them again and B ) I don't feel bad because maybe there was a slim chance that they crawled naked to Luirs and got involved in more fun stuff.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Cept that, there is no reason at all for most Tulukis to go to nak...in fact, every reason to NOT go there...and we are not talking those in a GMH or byn, they already go back and forth.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I have absolutely nothing against Southerners being wary of sudden Northerners coming along and banging their ladies, what annoys me is that assumption that Staff are giving Northerners a free pass and are somewhat telling Southerners Higher ups to leave Northerners alone on an OOC rule of command of sort and now it's up to the valiant defenders of all that is good in Allanak to rebel against such Staff intervention and make sure that every single northerner PCs met on southern soil should be PKed in the name of Good Ol' Armageddon.

How do you know there is no reason at all for most Tulukis to go to Nak, X-D?

Not every Tuluki commoner left Tuluk people. For point of fact, most commoners probably stayed behind in Tuluk. You do not suddenly have a massive Tuluki influx of power in Allanak. You do not suddenly have enough population to fight the power. You are a small group of refugees that can (with player work) grow together and make a 'smallish' gang of PCs.

I think a lot of people are overemphasizing just how much of a diaspora this really is.

Quote from: ZuluFoxtrot on April 21, 2015, 03:58:50 PM
Not every Tuluki commoner left Tuluk people. For point of fact, most commoners probably stayed behind in Tuluk. You do not suddenly have a massive Tuluki influx of power in Allanak. You do not suddenly have enough population to fight the power. You are a small group of refugees that can (with player work) grow together and make a 'smallish' gang of PCs.

I think a lot of people are overemphasizing just how much of a diaspora this really is.

I think people are talking about an IC event, and some people are trolling and vagueposting.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Quote from: Malken on April 21, 2015, 03:54:57 PM
I have absolutely nothing against Southerners being wary of sudden Northerners coming along and banging their ladies, what annoys me is that assumption that Staff are giving Northerners a free pass and are somewhat telling Southerners Higher ups to leave Northerners alone on an OOC rule of command of sort and now it's up to the valiant defenders of all that is good in Allanak to rebel against such Staff intervention and make sure that every single northerner PCs met on southern soil should be PKed in the name of Good Ol' Armageddon.

I think you're the only one making this assumption, even if it's an assumption about an assumption. Staff have said they're not doing this and I believe them.