Tuluk Closing to PC play -- discussion thread

Started by ArmageddonMUD, April 13, 2015, 01:18:17 PM

Quote from: Rokal on April 18, 2015, 06:18:53 AM
Quote from: Eurynomos on April 18, 2015, 04:45:05 AM

Because the action in Tuluk right now is giving me some seriously creepy "Twin Peaks" vibes.

This. Seriously.

Save logs for a year plox.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Quote from: Inks on April 18, 2015, 05:16:53 AM
I wish Tuluk was always this terrifying.

Tuluk was always scary. Just a lot of people don't understand the intricacies behind it. As stated in a post a few lines up I agree with that poster. Every character I ever had in Tuluk was constantly afraid of something going wrong, though on the outside they didn't show that fear. Some characters were fearful from RL events that happened to them (actual IG shit as well as some virtual stuff), the others were fearful from just understanding the city and knowing that no one is ever safe in Tuluk.

I feel that a lot of people only see the frilly and fluffy side of Tuluk and that's why most people say "Tuluk, ha I laugh at those afraid in Tuluk." If you never got to experience any real life crap in Tuluk I'm sorry. If you never understood Tuluk to realize there's always reason to be afraid I'm sorry. Perhaps these two aspects are why Tuluk never got the player love it really deserved.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Wanna know why none of my characters that go there know Tuluk?

Too scared to go walking the streets. Anything can happen.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

You're seriously saying it's other people's fault they don't feel afraid in Tuluk?
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Where exactly in my post did I lay blame on anyone? I was just stating a fact, nothing more. I never said anything like "You didn't figure out Tuluk so it's all your fault."  Nor would I have. I was stating I'm sorry some players never saw Tuluk for what it is.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

The point, Tiger, is that people tend to take offense when someone says "No, that story was actually the best one ever told, YOU just don't understand it, Plebe."

Especially because I think I've got at least a decent grasp on Tuluk, and I was never afraid. The craziest thing that ever happened to me was when a group of elves all pulled blades on me in broad daylight, in full view of anyone around. And that happened once. I'm not saying Tuluk ISN'T scary, it just isn't as oppressive as the docs say it should be.

Like telling someone America is an oppressive state. Is it true? Maybe. But if you try telling someone it is, and they seriously don't see it, saying "Well you just don't get it" doesn't change anything.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Yeah, I agree with Riev.. As someone who's been playing Arm forever and played maybe 85% of my characters in Tuluk, I've never been "afraid". I actually enjoyed Tuluk because it was very relaxed and "easy" rp compared to what you often have to face in Allanak or elsewhere. By "easy" I don't mean understanding the society, I mean that whatever I had planned for that character usually happened the exact way I planned it, as opposed to Allanak, where you are often, if not almost always, on the edge and survival mode.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: Jihelu on April 17, 2015, 05:10:08 PM
Time to start hoarding Sun tattoos right?

>order minion subdue refugee
>ep cleaver (grabbing %refugee arm and securing it to the chopping block)
>wish all You guys ready with my hand object and this guy's missing hand tattoo?
>em grinning slyly, @ brings ~cleaver down in a solid motion, bone and flesh giving way without resistance.
>inv
You are carrying:
a few purple and blue inked hands

>Shout NEXT!
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

RIDE IN THE TULUK CAR FOR THE LAST TIME

Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: Riev on April 18, 2015, 12:02:26 PM
The point, Tiger, is that people tend to take offense when someone says "No, that story was actually the best one ever told, YOU just don't understand it, Plebe."

Especially because I think I've got at least a decent grasp on Tuluk, and I was never afraid. The craziest thing that ever happened to me was when a group of elves all pulled blades on me in broad daylight, in full view of anyone around. And that happened once. I'm not saying Tuluk ISN'T scary, it just isn't as oppressive as the docs say it should be.

Like telling someone America is an oppressive state. Is it true? Maybe. But if you try telling someone it is, and they seriously don't see it, saying "Well you just don't get it" doesn't change anything.

Here's the thing.  Tuluk -is- an oppressive state, actually, both city states are.  This is explicitly mentioned in documentation and examples of it are in every corner of the game world.  It's not a matter of conjecture but a certainty.  So while your character might not perceive it as such ICly based on their experiences and beliefs, it is in fact a corrupt oligarchy replete with brainwashing.

If you played in any political landscape with those in power, Tuluk was an extremely intense centre of conflict.
There is a candle in your heart, ready to be kindled. There is a void in your soul, ready to be filled. Can you feel it?  Can you?
- Rumi

Riev isn't saying that Tuluk isn't oppressive. Instead, he argues that you can't really be wrong in not feeling afraid.

Yes, Tuluk is oppressive - arguing otherwise is silly. But Riev, Malken, myself, and doubtlessly other people as well, simply feel Tuluk is safer than Allanak is.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Quote from: Patuk on April 18, 2015, 01:41:44 PM
Riev isn't saying that Tuluk isn't oppressive. Instead, he argues that you can't really be wrong in not feeling afraid.

Yes, Tuluk is oppressive - arguing otherwise is silly. But Riev, Malken, myself, and doubtlessly other people as well, simply feel Tuluk is safer than Allanak is.

I hear you.  What I'm getting at is, Tuluk seems outwardly safe, but it can only be that way because there is such an aggressive undercurrent of manipulation and control.  I found the politics in the north to be much more cutthroat despite the civil facade.

It's not that anyone is wrong about being afraid, but it is definitely 'wrong' to assume safety anywhere in Zalanthas.  It's not a safe planet at all.
There is a candle in your heart, ready to be kindled. There is a void in your soul, ready to be filled. Can you feel it?  Can you?
- Rumi

I want to know when the last time all you were actually -in- Tuluk. There's been plenty to be fearful over for the last yearish.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Everything in Tuluk always seemed to happen in homage or accordance to some tradition that I'd never heard of.

April 18, 2015, 03:41:56 PM #539 Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 04:19:32 PM by Rokal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUJs-gdlpoU

Dunno about you guys.

But this is really fitting it for me.

Ignore the picture.

:(

Quote from: bcw81 on April 18, 2015, 02:05:53 PM
I want to know when the last time all you were actually -in- Tuluk. There's been plenty to be fearful over for the last yearish.

by plenty do you mean the two templars who log in

because the nobles can't do anything

ayyyyyyy
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Have played for a few months. Was only scared on the first day, and in the last 30 minutes. Rest of the time was EZ mode

Though to be fair, scheduling prevented me from attending most of the big RPTs, and the ones I did get to were too fun to be scary.

Like an hour ago.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Last time I was in Tuluk one of the guys stole my mount ticket and i never went back because i hate pcickpoets

Tuluk terrified me because I happen to use certain coded roleplay aides even in tense, dodgy or dangerous situations... Which meant I was almost always nearly disappeared afterwards, or robbed of my gorgeous loot piles. Allanak? Pffft. Not scary. Nobody ever cornered me in Allanak with 10 NPC half-giant soldiers and stole 45,000 Sid and a set of horror shell armor off me. Maybe it was my fault for Roleplaying too much.
A dark-shelled scrab pinches at you, but you dodge out of the way.
A dark-shelled scrab brandishes its bone-handled, obsidian scimitar.
A dark-shelled scrab holds its bloodied wicked-edged, bone scimitar.

CAPITALISM, HO!

sell sleeves
sell sleeves
sell sleeves

I like both cities about equally well, but the majority of my playing time has been in Allanak. Tuluk more than delivered on some intense moments of paranoia, particularly with one of my characters. Of course I had some dull times in both cities, too, but I never found either to be lacking, on the whole.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

The only problem with Nak is that if I want to be a special snowflake magicker everyone hates me unless I can put out.

AND I AIN'T WILLIN TO BE A WOMAN.
AND I AIN'T WILLIN TO ACT LIKE ONE.
Or something like that.
(Just so someone doesn't reply to this all mad that I think all women pc's get an easy life this is because of the fancy story I read earlier about the female magicker pc thing and I thought it was funny, pls no replyerino)

Quote from: MeTekillot on April 18, 2015, 05:44:29 PM
CAPITALISM, HO!

sell sleeves
sell sleeves
sell sleeves
i think i posted in the wrong thread again