Make age affect skill curve

Started by roobee, April 11, 2015, 02:18:18 AM

PCs in the child range should learn languages, and to a lesser extent other skills, faster than their adult versions. Teenagers would be the middle way. Dunno if this is already in game, or it there is some problem with it but just an idea.

April 11, 2015, 10:02:49 AM #1 Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 10:04:47 AM by Nathvaan
Quote from: roobee on April 11, 2015, 02:18:18 AM
PCs in the child range should learn languages, and to a lesser extent other skills, faster than their adult versions. Teenagers would be the middle way. Dunno if this is already in game, or it there is some problem with it but just an idea.

We don't go into the specifics of how the code mechanics but I can point you to a relevant help entry.  This lists the lifespan of each race.

Help Age

Also, remember that the beginning playable age for all races is considered an adult, so there aren't people playing children and 'teenagers' are adults on Zalanthas.

I had trouble finding the age ranges so I generated the following list of starting adult ages:

Adult Human Starting Age:      13
Adult Elf Starting Age:        18
Adult Dwarf Starting Age:      20
Adult Half-Giant Starting Age: 16
Adult Mul Starting Age:        12
Adult Half-Elf Starting Age:   15

As for the speed of learning, please have a look at Help Wisdom.

Hopefully that clarifies things for you!  Thanks!

Here I was hoping the discussion would be about having each year or two in your characters age at character generation apply a small bump to all your skills. Silly me, heh.

You do gain wisdom as you age, so in a sense, that does help out your skills. ;)

There use to be a note in one of the helpfiles (age, i think, but it isn't there now) that "skills are not currently affected by age", I assume that is still the case, as I don't remember an announcement to the contrary, and code changes that significant usually get posted on the Staff Announcement board.

I agree that some skills would be easier to learn at earlier ages, but the cut-off age for young PCs is, I believe, far past the point where our brains are knowledge sponges.  The cutt-off varies from age 5 to age 10 in most of the parenting research I have read over the years, so that is pretty much decided by the guild and subguild that you choose.  -You- chose at chargen what skills and knowledge your PC was exposed to during their developmental years, and now they are out on their own expected to use the skills that they were taught.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: Revenant on April 11, 2015, 11:48:29 AM
Here I was hoping the discussion would be about having each year or two in your characters age at character generation apply a small bump to all your skills. Silly me, heh.

I think a TINY bump might be cool, but only enough to flavor the role rather than change it.
We are currently able to spec app for skill bumped PCs while still choosing the guilds/subguilds that are normally available to us.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on April 11, 2015, 12:13:00 PM
You do gain wisdom as you age, so in a sense, that does help out your skills. ;)

There use to be a note in one of the helpfiles (age, i think, but it isn't there now) that "skills are not currently affected by age", I assume that is still the case, as I don't remember an announcement to the contrary, and code changes that significant usually get posted on the Staff Announcement board.

I agree that some skills would be easier to learn at earlier ages, but the cut-off age for young PCs is, I believe, far past the point where our brains are knowledge sponges.  The cutt-off varies from age 5 to age 10 in most of the parenting research I have read over the years, so that is pretty much decided by the guild and subguild that you choose.  -You- chose at chargen what skills and knowledge your PC was exposed to during their developmental years, and now they are out on their own expected to use the skills that they were taught.

I don't know about your books, man, I've picked up a number of skills over the years that I've become pretty damned good and well past 5-10 years. Languages? Na, not so much.

Also, skill-bumps require karma points, which, let's face it, the rate at which these are awarded is at a very, very slow trickle, unless someone on staff likes you, it would seem. Like it or not, the awarding of these points is done by people with specific personality types, values, and inclinations, which don't always appreciate the benefits or intangibles of things they don't fully understand. I just think it would make sense to get very, very small boosts to reflect the learning you would have BEEN doing to get to that age. The grind gets really awkward and painful as your PC steps into the game near helpless and totally incompetent at everything, and if you have CGP you can go full badass mode and stack those boosts on top of your 60 year old elven assassin's existing bonus.

Quote from: Revenant on April 11, 2015, 12:27:06 PM
Quote from: FantasyWriter on April 11, 2015, 12:13:00 PM

I don't know about your books, man, I've picked up a number of skills over the years that I've become pretty damned good and well past 5-10 years. Languages? Na, not so much.

Also, skill-bumps require karma points, which, let's face it, the rate at which these are awarded is at a very, very slow trickle, unless someone on staff likes you, it would seem. Like it or not, the awarding of these points is done by people with specific personality types, values, and inclinations, which don't always appreciate the benefits or intangibles of things they don't fully understand. I just think it would make sense to get very, very small boosts to reflect the learning you would have BEEN doing to get to that age. The grind gets really awkward and painful as your PC steps into the game near helpless and totally incompetent at everything, and if you have CGP you can go full badass mode and stack those boosts on top of your 60 year old elven assassin's existing bonus.

I think this is probably planned, given the language in the help files, it just isn't high enough priority to have made it in yet. I do agree that characters should be able to pick up skills, and age should affect skills they have been practicing all the while. There are several logistics here, though, and it would be quite a bit of planning on the side of code and administration. Also, there is currently a bug I know that if you modify a person's skills after they are in the game world, it can mess the skills up--so there's that that would have to be addressed as well.

A little idea... Use a point system determined by age, and a list to what you can request to have staff add, within your points. Nothing to do with karma or favouritism. This is a spur of the moment idea, I haven't even thought to flesh it out properly. These skills would be maxed at like sub guild level. Account notes could keep track of what's been assigned?

Submit Age Progression Review

5 years in game, get 1 point.
10 years in game, get 2 points.
15 years in game, get 1 point.
20 years in game, get 2 points.
Etc. etc. etc.

Skill Point List and Cost
Tool Making - 1
Flee - 1
Ropemaking - 1
Dying - 1
Ride - 1

Floristry - 2
Direction Sense - 2
Listen - 2
Sleight of Hand - 2

Steal - 3
Picklock - 3
Armor making - 3
Weapon making - 3

Slashing - 4
Backstab - 4
Poisoning - 4

You get the idea... well I hope.
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.

I don't like the idea of someone starting with more skill because of age.

What I would like however is the wisdom stat bumps to be considerably higher than they are today.  I've played an old aged PC and the stat loss is crippling (probably too crippling in my opinion), and the wisdom gains are basically nonexistent.

By old age I mean 50+ not super ancient.

Just to preface with a question: Can player-characters in-game age to be older than they can be set to at chargen?  For instance, maybe "70" is the maximum age at chargen for some particular race.  Can you age to, say, 100 before your PC dies of natural causes?  Alternatively, if you set your character to be the oldest possible at chargen, does he only have the year to live?

I think it would be nice if your ability to grant skill gains to other characters through "teach" got boosted with old age.
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

Quote from: CodeMaster on April 12, 2015, 01:35:17 AM
Just to preface with a question: Can player-characters in-game age to be older than they can be set to at chargen?  For instance, maybe "70" is the maximum age at chargen for some particular race.  Can you age to, say, 100 before your PC dies of natural causes?  Alternatively, if you set your character to be the oldest possible at chargen, does he only have the year to live?

I think it would be nice if your ability to grant skill gains to other characters through "teach" got boosted with old age.
Doesn't how good you teach get effected by Wisdom so that already kind of happens?

With aging, you die when your endurance hits 0. Iirc, Nyr explained that you'll just log in and drop dead after the birthday that adjusts it to that.

Quote from: MeTekillot on April 12, 2015, 02:29:52 AM
With aging, you die when your endurance hits 0. Iirc, Nyr explained that you'll just log in and drop dead after the birthday that adjusts it to that.
So always roll high endurance as a half giant and you never die.

Remember kids. Life is just the game to immortality. Unless you want to live realistically and have fun. Otherwise it is a chore and the pain never ends.

I think in Arm commoner terms, 50+ is super ancient.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

If all commoners were PC-level dumb, maybe.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Quote from: Jihelu on April 12, 2015, 02:14:02 AM
Quote from: CodeMaster on April 12, 2015, 01:35:17 AM

Doesn't how good you teach get effected by Wisdom so that already kind of happens?

Good point.  I really like the depth of Arm's codebase -- half the time things I've thought of are in there, just not spelled out explicitly.
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

Quote from: Patuk on April 12, 2015, 10:51:05 AM
If all commoners were PC-level dumb, maybe.

All commoners are basically without access to modern medicine, hygiene, and so on.  The average life expectancy didn't top 50, at least in the US, until the 20th century.  So I'd feel pretty justified in having my commoner PCs think that any commoner PC aged 50+ is pretty darn old.

I thought people making it into their 60's was a thing since like, 1780's.
I think the average life and death was attributed to the fact infant death was so high.
Or I'm wrong.
You know what, I'm probably wrong.

Is life expectancy the average age to die? If so it would include the majority that died as infants. If you made it past 40 you might be good for a few years yet, if you were fortunate in your circumstances.

Jihelu and Solera are correct. People who made it into adulthood usually made it past fifty at least just fine.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

It was still right around 50 for people who made it past age 10.

Quote from: valeria on April 12, 2015, 06:40:19 PM
It was still right around 50 for people who made it past age 10.
Hell, thats pretty good.
And considering Arm ages, with years being longer, it's up near 60's where I guessed. Or not.

Does that table say , if you do live to 60 you can expect another 15 years? That's for white males born in 1850.

You have to remember for Armageddon that there are these thousands of years old butthole sorcerer-kings who are skewing the average lifespan for humans up! I've said it before. So the average lifespan of a human might be 60 but most humans are dead before 45 and some can live years past 60 naturally!
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

Can you become immortal then? Only answer if this info is allowed. Also, I am not asking how, just if it is possible.

There are likely multiple ways to become immortal in this world. The only way to know for sure is to find out IC though, and the odds of it being something attainable for a PC? Probably very, very low if at all.

Quote from: roobee on April 13, 2015, 10:40:08 PM
Can you become immortal then? Only answer if this info is allowed. Also, I am not asking how, just if it is possible.
Think about it in a sense of:
1: How many immortals are there now? So far to public knowledge, two, maybe three if you count the Dragon.
2: What are the immortals currently?
3: Is what they are attainable.
4: Does staff love me enough to reach this power without storing me?