Do you feel neglected a little?

Started by adriannetwork, April 01, 2015, 11:25:22 PM

I freely admit I am incapable of playing dwarves, elves, and merchants. I think staff automatically docks all future karma from me for the inability to adapt to different races XD

Quote from: adriannetwork on April 02, 2015, 01:06:37 PM
Honestly I'm impressed at all the staff is doing, particularly Nyr.

He was able to find an account based off of "maybe" this was my character name, I had a PC in /this/ clan, maybe.

Anyway with this help we figured out that I had a different account as a teenager than I did while in my undergrad!?! I don't remember that! He's now doing searches based on my birthday!?!?!

Now I'm wondering if I did something really bad as a kid that will hurt my account. But I don't remember anything so I doubt they'll hold it against me!

Thank you for being awesome staff!

People view account notes as impossible to change. Staff have stated several times that they take into account how long ago the note was made, and if there has been improvement since then. I've had my account noted positively over bad 'PC Notes', so they aren't black stains on your honor forever.

As you can see, opening a line of communication with Staff is the best way to get karma. If you don't apply for jobs and you're unemployed, you're never going to get a job unless someone drops one in your lap. You're never going to get Karma if you don't open up that conversation with Staff, or during that conversation you're a terrible communicator or have a chip on your shoulder. Some karma has dropped into my lap over the years, but i've almost always earned it through roles i've applied for and played well.
"The church bell tollin', the hearse come driving slow
I hope my baby, don't leave me no more
Oh tell me baby, when are you coming back home?"

--Howlin' Wolf

Quote from: adriannetwork on April 01, 2015, 11:25:22 PM
Does anyone else feel neglected by staff?

It has been 13 years of playing arm, on and off. With one lost account user name and password from a year break. I've never cheated, always played fair, and consistent kept characters realistic.

In all that time I understand most about the game.... Except magick... I've only ever received one karma. For longevity. I basically asked for it recently.

How do some people have enough karma to roll a mul for the hell of it but I can't get a rukkian without sitting 2 months for a special app?

I understand karma is a measure of trust. But seriously? 13 years and I am still not trusted?

I could have enlisted in the military, gotten top secret clearance and honorably discharged faster than I can organically get enough karma to play a damn half giant who can't be given any top secret info.

I could go through undergrad, med school, specialty training, and people would trust me with thier lives in a heart surgery before the staff would trust me to heal players with a vivaduian.

I'll consent to a background check. I'll donate a little $ to your favorite charity. You can talk to my mom if you need. What sort of sucking up do I need to do to capture your attention long enough to earn an ounce of POSITIVE recognition?

Let's be realistic: Karma is NOT a policy of trust but is a tool of FAVORITISM. And if my irregular log in time fails to position me under the all seeing eye of the IMMs I am left for neglect. The only attention granted is of the negative variety for whatever irregularities occur that can happen to anyone.

I'll follow the new character report policy and see what happens. But if my perfect damn behavior and reports of it is not rewarded I'm going to put this game to rest indefinitely.

I think it would be really really rare these days, for staff to award karma without a review. I may happen, but you would have to do something exceptional.  If you have not received a karma boost that does not mean you are being ignored.  It means you probably have not asked for review.

The karma for magic is just one point I think.  There are points for other things as well, like communication.  I would figure out what those other things are, and set about doing them, documenting it in player reports even if brief.  If you are doing something of note, log it. I reckon you don't have to be perfect in an area to get a karma point, just be showing positive change and a love for the game, and make sure staff see it via the request tool.

Also with one karma point you can special app a gicker. I think a viv or rukkian would be a great fit for an off peaker. And you can always RP with Zoan, who by the way is lots o fun to play around!
At your table, the XXXXXXXX templar says in sirihish, echoing:
     "Everyone is SAFE in His Walls."

Karma for magickers is 2 points.

You can spec app 3 points above.

Quote from: adriannetwork on April 02, 2015, 01:06:37 PM
Honestly I'm impressed at all the staff is doing, particularly Nyr.

He was able to find an account based off of "maybe" this was my character name, I had a PC in /this/ clan, maybe.

Anyway with this help we figured out that I had a different account as a teenager than I did while in my undergrad!?! I don't remember that! He's now doing searches based on my birthday!?!?!

Now I'm wondering if I did something really bad as a kid that will hurt my account. But I don't remember anything so I doubt they'll hold it against me!

Thank you for being awesome staff!

And this is why it's good to let people know what's bothering you, so it can get handled and doesn't fester and turn into a big thing.  Val's advice for managing any relationships.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

I'm glad to see this thread being resolved in a positive way.

Quote from: Saellyn on April 02, 2015, 12:28:20 PM
Abusive of situations regarding code, either over emoting for small coded injuries and blaming others, or doing things like raising and lowering barrier to make themselves pass out. - 1/01/12

I thought using the way OOCly to make your PC passout was kosher, since we don't have any other coded way to do this in situations (like shock, extreme exhaustion, etc) where our PC could/should fall unconscious?  I know I've done it in the past and know of others who have as well.  Can we get clarification on this?
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I've been playing for ten + years, off and on, never had issues getting karma. I've played a ton of short-lived characters, and a few longer lived (never extremely long-lived), some of them compelling, some utterly uncompelling.

I try to ask myself one question when I am actively playing:
"Would I read a book about my character and what he's doing?"

When the answer to this question is "yes', I get props from staff, kudos from players and occasionally karma, which has accumulated over the years.

When staff get excited about your pc reports, you'll hit it. At least in my experience.