Injury Debuff - Something for Physicians

Started by Bushranger, April 01, 2015, 08:54:29 AM

Sandrot basically kills you doesn't it? Or is that Sloughskin?

I wouldn't force that on PCs, that's not exactly something that the non-wealthy can deal with.

I'm down for the "injury" flag being applied, so long as its non-stacking (what in DIKU code DOES...) I do forsee some issues with losing 10% of your max health but not being able to bandage because you have to be at like 60% for the bandage code to work in the first place.

But I am EXTRA down for changing it to "you tend to <target>'s wounds"
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I think "You tend to $'s wounds is much better than "You bandage $"

Quote from: Saellyn on April 01, 2015, 11:31:31 PM
Sandrot basically kills you doesn't it? Or is that Sloughskin?

I wouldn't force that on PCs, that's not exactly something that the non-wealthy can deal with.

Oh. I didn't know sandrot was an actual thing. I was just throwing words out.  :P
Smooth Sands,
Maristen Kadius, Solace the Bard, Paxter (Jump), Numii Arabet, and the rest.

http://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Disease

An infection of the skin which causes the tissue to decay at an extraordinarily rapid pace. The causes of the infection are unknown, though it is generally a rare condition that is most commonly found amongst the desert tribes. Elves, for some reason, are immune to its effects.

Pretty sure this kills people.

Slough Skin
(Disease)

Also called Serpentskin or the Snake Curse, this illness manifests initially as patches of dry scaly skin distributed over the body. Over the course of months, this dry skin worsens and begins to flake until skin is peeling off in sheets. Many who contract this highly contagious disease will die from dehydration as their skin sloughs off wholesale and their body weeps its precious moisture into the air. This contagion is common to Vrun Driath, concentrated in Allanak and its nearby villages, and the physicians of the region typically treat it with whole body herbal poultices or herbal hot water baths for those with vast wealth.

I also approve of this idea.

For some reason, the zeitgeist on the GDB is totally in favour of things that are relevant or sympatico.  It's a good thing.
There is a candle in your heart, ready to be kindled. There is a void in your soul, ready to be filled. Can you feel it?  Can you?
- Rumi

I approve of any idea that makes physicians less of a 'treat while horribly wounded' sort of sub-class, and more of a 'treat diseases/wounds as they come to pass'.

I think that Physicians should be able to 'practice' bandage on anyone who is less than maximum health. If someone is below half health, and you are a terrible physician, you really can risk harming or even killing them. If they are only slightly wounded, you can practice bandaging their wounds.

I hate the meta game of 'must not be able to just rest of wounds in order to practice skill'. It's a leftover from Diku's antiquated code, and it isn't realistic to an RPI mentality.
"The church bell tollin', the hearse come driving slow
I hope my baby, don't leave me no more
Oh tell me baby, when are you coming back home?"

--Howlin' Wolf

You can rp out the bandaging, but the bandaging is meant to heal serious injuries. Or tons of little ones. In Zalanthas, you wouldn't waste cloth or a bandage on something tiny. Ten somethings that are tiny, maybe.

Maybe you would if the person with the insignificant little cut was important and sensitive and whiny. But then again, that kind of person almost certainly wouldn't accept the treatment of someone who still needed to twink up their bandage skills.

I really hate the "You don't have enough skill to bandage so-and-so's wounds" and the "They're not injured enough to be bandaged" bullshit.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on April 05, 2015, 06:08:30 PM
I really hate the "You don't have enough skill to bandage so-and-so's wounds" and the "They're not injured enough to be bandaged" bullshit.
"The church bell tollin', the hearse come driving slow
I hope my baby, don't leave me no more
Oh tell me baby, when are you coming back home?"

--Howlin' Wolf

Adding injuries would be cool.  I wouldn't make it based on dropping below a certain HP level, but rather being hit by massive amounts of HP loss all at once.

Get hit by a Krathi's fiery doom spell?  Injured.  Fall of the shield wall and survive?  Injured.   Get backstabbed but live?  Injured.   Ectera.

I wouldn't have injuries affect HP, but rather have it effect stun and movement, and perhaps debuff strength.    It should also be visible if you look at someone.

Pro-tip for RPing the bandage skill in a way that avoids frustration with the code:

emote measures off some of ~bandage, unrolling it quickly.

(roleplay using that piece of the bandage you just cut off the roll to tend to whatever wounds).

bandage victim

>if attempt = success
emote uses the rest of the roll to wrap the patch.

>if attempt = failure
emote tries to tie off the outer wrap but the blood-soaked ends slip off the wound, to the floor.
(roleplay tossing the dirty bloodsoaked bandage away)

>if attempt = "You don't have enough skill" or "He doesn't need to be bandaged"
put bandage pack (rolling up the remainder of the cloth strip)
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Eh, the bandage skill has fucking crazy OP potential once you get good at it, if you have no scruples about playing realistically.  If you're complaining that it sucks, you clearly have never gained any skill with it whatsoever.  It's also one of the easier skills to train, since you can bandage yourself and there are any number of stupid ways to injure yourself by minor enough increments that actually dying isn't a serious concern.

...unless they nerfed it somehow in the last couple of years that I haven't really been playing.

Applying it to diseases or whatever...fine...whatever.  I think that might be a "careful what you wish for" sort of thing, though.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.