Opinion on magick as a feature of the game

Started by MeTekillot, March 06, 2015, 04:44:34 PM

What do you think of magick?

I think magick should be downplayed.
17 (14.9%)
I think there should be more magick in-game.
20 (17.5%)
I think magick should be removed entirely.
2 (1.8%)
I'm fine with the current amount of magick in game.
64 (56.1%)
some other, fifth thing
11 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 113

Quote from: Delirium on March 30, 2015, 09:22:59 PM
That's what the emote system is for.
I figured that out after I posted it sadly and didn't go back to change it.

Even with a emote the coded cast will echo code emote right?
I am saying I think it would be neat if those had a few coded echos other then same old one.
Just having fun.

It would be neat if you could set up your own cast echoes during character generation
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

I don't think it should be available at chargen, but it would be a pretty awesome perk for long-lived mages.

I don't know about chargen because sometimes my vision at chargen is drastically different from my vision when my character really starts coming into his/her own.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on March 31, 2015, 11:13:12 AM
I don't think it should be available at chargen, but it would be a pretty awesome perk for long-lived mages.

Pretty sure I've seen this done.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

It's been done in the past, I'm not sure if it's still a thing now.

I know the code is capable of it.  It's more a matter of formalizing the process/application of getting one applied.

I am thinking of it as a staff set of casting emotes. Nothing over done just a good element following emote.
Maybe at start you get to point at two types, one being (wavering heat rises from -so and so- form as they call on the element)
then second is for lets say outside use (fire comes to life over -so and so- form as they call on the element)
with those two you can change from one or another like changing accents. This way if you are lets say in city you can put off heat and not open flames.
But you go hunting or something with Amos and want to use the raw element then you change casting. And I know bad emote examples but just saying.
Just having fun.

Let me just say, I fucking love magic.
In every game, I love magic. I don't care how overpowered it is, I don't care how weak it is, if it has limits or not. I love. LOVE. LOOOOVE magic. I don't just love using magic, oh no, I love fighting it. I love being a mundane person battling the strange, the mysterious. I love battling demons and monsters and golems, I love fighting alongside or against mages flinging fire, lightning, ice, ect.
Magic is bitching.

The Arm magick system is awesome and anyone who says otherwise is a gickophobe.

Played a couple 'gickers. Only water though, so not TOO MUCH thats wildly OP. Magick was weird. The lore said that water 'gickers should be something close to accepted because of the absolutely vital nature of their arts, water and healing. Something that nearly everyone can accept on a caravan, if not sit next to. What I found was largely binary. Total fear or complete, baseless acceptance. I can totally see for the long-time players how 'oh, new magicker, a few days of wary suspicion, then grudging acceptance so we can play together' gets old. I did feel like I was completely separate from the mundane players, because for most of them, there was no IC reason for us to interact.

April 15, 2015, 05:16:58 PM #112 Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 05:21:22 PM by Desertman
I wouldn't mind seeing magic and mages in general be a thing limited to special role call situations (on the same level as Templars and House Family etc...) and the realm of NPC's, VNPC's, and staff animations only.

But, I don't play mages. So, I admit I am biased. I prefer the more mundane elements of Armageddon and prefer to mostly stay away from magic-type things and situations when I can.

I have always found it jarring when stacked against the documentation of the game in terms of hated and feared/rare magic when I walk into a public place with four or five magic-users sitting around like they are one of the guys.

In my opinion it is on the same level as Tuluk being "rough and gruff" but almost impossible to play that way because of the playerbase and their inclination to not play it that way the majority of the time. It got to the point playing it that way made you an extreme minority.

It makes it extremely hard to play a true terror/hate of magic, when you have to encounter it at least twice every gaming session as part of your character's basic day to day lives. Just going to the local tavern for a mug, for example. Having a true terrifying hate/fear of magic in Armageddon in a lot of ways has become the minority among the visible playerbase based on my own experiences.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Well, heres one of those 'muh ic', what if they are one of the guys? Helping people through thick and thin, etc, etc.
Or people are just forgetting how they are abominations and might as well be a half giant human elf hybrid with a huge tail.

Quote from: Jihelu on April 15, 2015, 05:20:38 PM
Well, heres one of those 'muh ic', what if they are one of the guys? Helping people through thick and thin, etc, etc.
Or people are just forgetting how they are abominations and might as well be a half giant human elf hybrid with a huge tail.

I'm not saying they don't have a great IC reason. I'm saying I wish the option was taken out on the level that it currently exists so those IC reasons would stop being the norm and start actually being the extremely rare exception.

Quote from: Desertman on April 15, 2015, 05:22:04 PM

I'm not saying they don't have a great IC reason. I'm saying I wish the option was taken out on the level that it currently exists so those IC reasons would stop being the norm and start actually being the extremely rare exception.
From the way I read certain things, some people seem to think/see it always be extreme, while others see it not at all. Or I'm crazy.

Hyperbolic to say everyone should be terrified... there are ranges of reactions from mistrust and fear (Allanak) to outright terror and hatred (Tuluk).

The problem arises because players are too quick to shed the mistrust.

You can put up with a mage, maybe even cautiously befriend it, without wanting it to touch you or sneeze near your babies.

April 15, 2015, 05:28:21 PM #117 Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 05:29:58 PM by Desertman
There are justifications for everything everyone does in game related to magic that allow them to treat it however they want.

I will be the first to admit I am part of my own problem. I've befriended mages for no other reason than it was in my best interest to do that based on the number of friends that mage already had. *shrug*

That's just the reality. It is more rare to not befriend them in a lot of cases.

I've even gone so far as to hunt down people who offended my magicker friends in the past with past characters.

I'm my own worst enemy, but....I was playing to the majority based on what was around my PC day to day constantly.

The broad range of stories and shades of grey are what make this game great.

Trying to pigeonhole everyone into a specific reaction that they MUST have creates frustration and stagnation.

As long as the story makes sense, you're abiding by the official documentation, and you're acting from in character rather than thinly veiled out of character motivations - go for it.

That includes the range of reactions which is possible toward mage characters. Some people just have to learn how to portray the complexity of such interactions.

I'm not saying people are doing anything wrong. I'm just saying how I would personally prefer things.  :)

HANDS OFF MAH 'GICKERS!!!    >:(

Actually I think the solution to your problem isn't less gemmers, it's more gemmers.  The more gemmed characters can find interaction within their quarter, the less likely they'll leave it.

That said, I don't think it would be a terrible idea to have a guideline (both IC and OOC) that gemmed congregating outside of the quarter is not OK, and encourage soldiers, templars, or the gemmed themselves to suggest moving groups to the elementalists' quarter.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on April 15, 2015, 05:41:56 PM
HANDS OFF MAH 'GICKERS!!!    >:(

Actually I think the solution to your problem isn't less gemmers, it's more gemmers.  The more gemmed characters can find interaction within their quarter, the less likely they'll leave it.

That said, I don't think it would be a terrible idea to have a guideline (both IC and OOC) that gemmed congregating outside of the quarter is not OK, and encourage soldiers, templars, or the gemmed themselves to suggest moving groups to the elementalists' quarter.

I am a supporter of more gemmers and more restrictions on where gemmers are commonly accepted outside of their own circles.

April 16, 2015, 02:35:31 AM #122 Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 02:37:17 AM by Tetra
Quote from: Desertman on April 15, 2015, 05:22:04 PM

Just going to be blunt and say....Magic users being accepted or fraternized with -is- rare.  Just because you see it once or twice doesn't make it common.  Food for thought.

Really, I find these complaints genuinely hilarious.  Do you play a magicker?  Do you see anyone cuddling with mundanes?  It's not happening in the world, so I don't see where this need to vent is coming from. 
There is a candle in your heart, ready to be kindled. There is a void in your soul, ready to be filled. Can you feel it?  Can you?
- Rumi

April 16, 2015, 03:01:40 AM #123 Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 08:36:40 AM by valeria
I had a latent magicker hunting in Tuluk, but not a citizen there, who manifested during a hunt gone poorly against a pack of gortoks, in order to save some dude's life. Instead of horror and disdain, the guy (born and bred Tuluki) immediately swore to keep her secret and proceeded to try and become best friends with her - taking a casual hunting partnership into way too intimate territory. As a result, he accidentally died on the next hunt and my magicker continued to try and hide what she was in hopes it would go away. She ended up getting accosted by a sorcerer who hung out around Tuluk, then ended up outside of Luirs. She was given a mount by some random dude, and proceeded to make her way south to beg for a gem and protection from aforementioned crazy sorc fucker. Once gemmed, she was hit on by EVERY SINGLE LIVING THING IN THE ENTIRE KNOWN: female elves, male elves, (EDIT: both city and desert varieties) male half-elves, humans, etc. She was even propositioned by several templars, though one was a little rapey about it. Nobody really hated her heaps, though her only "friends" were other gemmed people. I wouldn't say she was liked by outsiders much, but she wasn't outright hated, either. More like fear, disdain, and horniness... And the last one I attribute to just playing a female PC in ARM, period.

[Spell detail removed by val.]
A dark-shelled scrab pinches at you, but you dodge out of the way.
A dark-shelled scrab brandishes its bone-handled, obsidian scimitar.
A dark-shelled scrab holds its bloodied wicked-edged, bone scimitar.

April 16, 2015, 03:06:07 AM #124 Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 08:37:24 AM by valeria
Quote from: Wolfsong on April 16, 2015, 03:01:40 AM
I had a latent magicker hunting in Tuluk, but not a citizen there, who manifested during a hunt gone poorly against a pack of gortoks, in order to save some dude's life. Instead of horror and disdain, the guy (born and bred Tuluki) immediately swore to keep her secret and proceeded to try and become best friends with her - taking a casual hunting partnership into way too intimate territory. As a result, he accidentally died on the next hunt and my magicker continued to try and hide what she was in hopes it would go away. She ended up getting accosted by a sorcerer who hung out around Tuluk, then ended up outside of Luirs. She was given a mount by some random dude, and proceeded to make her way south to beg for a gem and protection from aforementioned crazy sorc fucker. Once gemmed, she was hit on by EVERY SINGLE LIVING THING IN THE ENTIRE KNOWN: female elves, male elves, (EDIT: both city and desert varieties) male half-elves, humans, etc. She was even propositioned by several templars, though one was a little rapey about it. Nobody really hated her heaps, though her only "friends" were other gemmed people. I wouldn't say she was liked by outsiders much, but she wasn't outright hated, either. More like fear, disdain, and horniness... And the last one I attribute to just playing a female PC in ARM, period.
PM me the description. I'm very curious.

[And out of this quote, -val.]
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.