HGs should...

Started by Harmless, March 04, 2015, 01:06:13 AM

Quote from: Narf on March 12, 2015, 04:37:18 PM
Quote from: RogueGunslinger on March 12, 2015, 04:27:40 PM
Add in that a half-giant is magically put together and that a giant in the real world would never be able to hold itself together under its own weight...

Errr, what? You do know we have things bigger than half-giants in the real world right? Elephants can get up to 7000kg, that's several times the size of a half-giant.

I wasn't very clear I suppose, note that I said giant, not half-giant. Also the frame of an elephant is made to support their bulk, I'm not so sure a humanoid frame would work for something the size of a half-giant.

It wouldn't, at least not to scale. (Half) giants probably have relatively short, if highly thick legs.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

What's the tallest a half-giant can be? These are numbers I need to know. I need to know the middle range for their heights and weights.

Quote from: Saellyn on March 12, 2015, 09:52:58 PM
What's the tallest a half-giant can be? These are numbers I need to know. I need to know the middle range for their heights and weights.
I think the max in inches is near 12.9 feet.

So they're.... somewhere between 10-13 feet. Okay. So 11.5. They weigh 1,700 pounds at the middle of their height. There you go. Do your math.

March 13, 2015, 03:15:52 AM #30 Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 03:28:15 AM by X-D
What always amuses me when people get into this discussion is that they always forget that humans are actually bound by a harmful mutation causing severe muscle weakness (of course this might also be how we were able to grow big brains) And that in fact, almost all mammals, pound for pound are 4-8 times stronger then us.

I have always wondered if the reason HG are so stupid is because they only have half of this mutation, so, the skull closes much earlier then it would on a human and thereby limiting higher mental capacity. This of course could be from being a magickal construct, and that they don't get near true giant size for the same reason, though they are say 2x stronger pound for pound then a human, they are half as strong as a true giant.

Anyway, more on point, without any higher math, large human arm, 30lbs, swing speed around 25mph,  200lbs mass to counteract  newtons 3rd law.

HG, medium sized arm 200lbs, assume same swing speed and 1700lbs mass for said 3rd law.....

Heh...essentially you got hit by a car traveling at 25mph...enjoy.

Also, If I was to be so mean as to hit a 20lbs dog, with the intent to do serious harm, I assure you that the dog would not be getting up again.

Let me try another way to explain.

Getting punched by a HG would be roughly the same as getting a 200lbs bag of sand dropped on you from 10 feet above your head.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job