Would you leave the game if Allanak was made off-limits to players?

Started by MeTekillot, February 25, 2015, 06:21:02 PM

Would you leave the game if Allanak was made off-limits to players?

Yes, hasta la vista, Arm.
21 (28%)
Yes, at least for a while.
13 (17.3%)
No, but I'd be outright pissed.
9 (12%)
No, but I don't think it's be a good idea.
24 (32%)
No, I think it would help the game.
8 (10.7%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Thinking about the next poll. If we made Zalanthas off limits to players, would that make you stop playing?
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.

No. Then we would all be consolidated to the GDB, and my ultimate goal will have come to fruition.

NOTHING CAN MAKE ME STOP PLAYING
Eat your fries with mayonnaise next time

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on February 27, 2015, 10:18:44 PM
No. Then we would all be consolidated to the GDB, and my ultimate goal will have come to fruition.

OMG forums RP.... nostalgia activate.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Quote from: absurdist on February 27, 2015, 11:33:05 AM
Yeah, Atonement proved that consolidation can work. It fit 40-60 players peak into a single city and three different clans while producing meaningful conflict. I know everyone thinks they're an expert on the game and they just -know- that limiting the game to a half of the current game world would result in apocalyptica! But... There's evidence and history to prove your theories wrong. Not to mention the idea that a smaller game world means more staff involvement in the areas that remain in-game.

I would dare to say, that Arm is one the longest running RPI's with out any "consolidation" and its being doing just fine for 20+ years.

So there is that!

I'm not an expert like yourself though.
"Commander, I always used to consider that you had a definite anti-authoritarian streak in you."
"Sir?"
"It seems that you have managed to retain this even though you are authority."
"Sir?"
"That's practically zen."
― Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Quote from: absurdist on February 27, 2015, 11:33:05 AM
Yeah, Atonement proved that consolidation can work. It fit 40-60 players peak into a single city and three different clans while producing meaningful conflict.

IMO this worked for ARPI because it had staff running things for it every night at peak time consistently, and those brave enough to go exploring outside the safe area in small groups were rewarded with animations (and death ;)). Arm has a lot more PvE/code world interaction as well as 20-30 more players to keep track of at peak time.

Allanak vs Tuluk is one of the main existing conflicts driving in-game plots (on a macro level). If either one of those gets removed - it'll be a complete game-changer for all.

The surviving city-state (regardless of whether it's Allanak or Tuluk) would have Zalanthas-wide superiority.

From an OOC view point - sure - something like this WOULD consolidate the player base around a single focal point, but on the other hand, we'd just be doing away with one more "feature" of Armageddon - like Undertuluk, mul magickers, playable halflings and mantis etc etc.

Also, the ruler of the surviving city-state would then have no hinderances for complete global domination - sure it might take some time, but who's gonna stop him? Desert elf tribes? Gypsies? Nomadic tribals? I think not.....

I wouldn't stop playing the game - if something like this were to happen, but I'm of the strong opinion that it'd be a step towards the game's deterioration at a very accelerated pace.

I think this isn't likely to happen in the forseeable future IMO, so the discussion is kinda moot.
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

Quote from: Incognito on March 08, 2015, 03:51:19 PM
Allanak vs Tuluk is one of the main existing conflicts driving in-game plots (on a macro level). If either one of those gets removed - it'll be a complete game-changer for all.

The surviving city-state (regardless of whether it's Allanak or Tuluk) would have Zalanthas-wide superiority.

From an OOC view point - sure - something like this WOULD consolidate the player base around a single focal point, but on the other hand, we'd just be doing away with one more "feature" of Armageddon - like Undertuluk, mul magickers, playable halflings and mantis etc etc.

Also, the ruler of the surviving city-state would then have no hinderances for complete global domination - sure it might take some time, but who's gonna stop him? Desert elf tribes? Gypsies? Nomadic tribals? I think not.....

I wouldn't stop playing the game - if something like this were to happen, but I'm of the strong opinion that it'd be a step towards the game's deterioration at a very accelerated pace.

I think this isn't likely to happen in the forseeable future IMO, so the discussion is kinda moot.

I always thought the question was more 'offlimits to players' not 'wiped out', that is, the city state in question would just go 'virtual'.  I think some people have strong opinions about a city state being actually wiped out, but maybe weaker opinions about it turning virtual (and even weaker if it were temporary).
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Quote from: nauta on March 08, 2015, 04:11:32 PM

I always thought the question was more 'offlimits to players' not 'wiped out', that is, the city state in question would just go 'virtual'.  I think some people have strong opinions about a city state being actually wiped out, but maybe weaker opinions about it turning virtual (and even weaker if it were temporary).

Yeah - if this happened, I could see a lot of people bailing.....!
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'