Skill Pool for Lifesworn

Started by KankWhisperer, February 20, 2015, 06:07:55 PM

I think it'd be interesting if long serving lifesworn PCs were given new skills appropriate to their job.

Say one every 4 months RL played.

Examples.
Ranger Amos is now a private in the arm. He's been private for 4 months RL. He can choose something from the Arm of the Dragon skill pool.

Options: Subdue, Kick, Bash, Scan

Hunting clans:
Hunt, Archery, Scan,  Direction Sense

Calvary clans:
Ride, Direction Sense, Charge, Trample

If you already have a skill, riding for example, it could boost you to riding with knees.

It'd be an interesting benefit to lifesworn and something to work towards.

You could just personally pick one of these as a goal and apply for it using the same logic, but a coded feature would be nice.

Having any skill develop after chargen outside the parameters of your guild/subguild is pretty difficult, if not impossible without a spec app prior to spawn.

I actually like the clan idea though.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Yes, I love this idea.

I remember years and years ago I used to have an assassin/hunter in kadius. He was taught by the best for years in hunting/skinning techniques. He practically became leader of his unit. And despite everything, getting a freaking hide off an animal was ridiculously rare. I swear to this day I believe that apprentice skinning on ranger is many times better than journeyman skinning on hunter sub-guild.

Arguably the staff at the time was not totally against the idea of just changing my character's main guild to ranger, but a few extra relevant skills or boosts to life-sworn who have been in the service for ic years would be a good benefit.   

I like the idea of being able to change skills after chargen, either by giving up one skill to gain a new one, or whatever...  Not sure I like the whole clan based system though.  Seems pretty arbitrary to me.   Being in a clan certainly can help you learn a skill, but so can any other IC pursuit.

Quote from: wizturbo on February 20, 2015, 06:39:28 PM
I like the idea of being able to change skills after chargen, either by giving up one skill to gain a new one, or whatever...  Not sure I like the whole clan based system though.  Seems pretty arbitrary to me.   Being in a clan certainly can help you learn a skill, but so can any other IC pursuit.

Not totally arbitrary. It's one of those perks that can appeal to people in an OOC sense, making clan-life more attractive. Many people avoid clans because there just isn't much reason to join them once you have sufficient OOC knowledge of the game.
Alea iacta est

I'm of the mind frame that we can probably learn anything given the right talent with enough experience and mastery. Combat (really ANY) classes should get to the next level when they've mastered everything.

I like this idea. Rewarding lifesworn with more.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

I strongly approve of this idea.  It would help being clanned have the allure that it should.  Also when you end up in a situation you -never- foresaw when you rolled up your PC, skills that would be used every day could be eventually developed.

I think this is a great idea and would serve as a coded, IC example of what makes people in clans more superior. It would give them the edge that in game terms they should have, but when it comes to playing almost never do. A Borsail Wyvern should be a more skilled swordsman than some random indie hunter, but the coded reality is if the Wyvern doesn't have anyone to spar with the indie hunter will always be the more superior fighter.

I disagree that a Borsail Wyvern should be a more skilled swordsman than an indie hunter of equal years experience. 

The Borsail Wyvern should be more skilled in working as a unit, capturing slaves, and a variety of other skills...but pure swordplay is something that comes with regular use.  The Wyvern might have just as much regular use, or perhaps even less, than that independent hunter.  This is further reinforced by the fact that the independent hunter is using these sword skills in real, life or death combat.  If a hunter lives 3 years, surviving regular life and death combat with their sword, it'd stand to reason that hunter would learn more than the Wyvern who just sits around and spars all day.

The benefits of being in a clan are not some kind of amazing skills in most cases.  The benefits are generally superior equipment, safe training, luxuries such as food and lodging, and social status.  I think it'd be neat if some clans taught their most trusted members skills that might be more rare and special, but that would be on a clan by clan basis, as not every clan would have these skills nor would they share them.

Quote from: wizturbo on February 21, 2015, 03:11:59 AM
I disagree that a Borsail Wyvern should be a more skilled swordsman than an indie hunter of equal years experience. 

The Borsail Wyvern should be more skilled in working as a unit, capturing slaves, and a variety of other skills...but pure swordplay is something that comes with regular use.  The Wyvern might have just as much regular use, or perhaps even less, than that independent hunter.  This is further reinforced by the fact that the independent hunter is using these sword skills in real, life or death combat.  If a hunter lives 3 years, surviving regular life and death combat with their sword, it'd stand to reason that hunter would learn more than the Wyvern who just sits around and spars all day.

The benefits of being in a clan are not some kind of amazing skills in most cases.  The benefits are generally superior equipment, safe training, luxuries such as food and lodging, and social status.  I think it'd be neat if some clans taught their most trusted members skills that might be more rare and special, but that would be on a clan by clan basis, as not every clan would have these skills nor would they share them.
So
"Yes but only super trusted people and it be an ic thing?" type deal? Or am I misreading you.

Let me it try it another way, since the Borsail thing was meant as an example and not a factual statement.

There are people who are part of large institutions that have sophisticated training and equipment with access to certain knowledge that is restricted or largely unknown by the average joe. Whether Borsail is or isn't one of these, or whether their wyverns are or are not, is beside the point. I didn't make my example for purposes of arguing for Borsail's favor, or any one specific clan. Players who are lifesworn and part of an organization that has advanced standards should have some form of edge over indies. Right now they don't. And I wouldn't be the first poster here to observe that being a part of a clan is often less advantageous than hoofing it alone. But the lack of advantage is purely a coded phenomenon and in no way part of the actual storyline of the game.

Quote from: wizturbo on February 21, 2015, 03:11:59 AM
The benefits are generally superior equipment, safe training, luxuries such as food and lodging, and social status.  I think it'd be neat if some clans taught their most trusted members skills that might be more rare and special, but that would be on a clan by clan basis, as not every clan would have these skills nor would they share them.

I don't think the original poster was suggesting every single clan without exception should have one of these bonuses. He's just throwing it out there as a neat idea. One which I applaud and support.

house borsail gets +20 bonus to subdue

byn gets -2 penalty to wisdom, +15 alcohol resistance, +10 climb

Quote from: MeTekillot on February 21, 2015, 03:59:43 AM
byn gets -2 penalty to wisdom, +800 alcohol resistance, +10 climb
Sounds about right from what I've seen.

Quote from: Refugee on February 20, 2015, 07:38:58 PM
I strongly approve of this idea.  It would help being clanned have the allure that it should.  Also when you end up in a situation you -never- foresaw when you rolled up your PC, skills that would be used every day could be eventually developed.
Eat your fries with mayonnaise next time

Dig it.  Would give that ex bynner ex salarri hunter soldier something to show for making the journey.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Quote from: i love toilets on February 21, 2015, 04:16:57 AM

This pretty much happened to me!

Oh, for sure.  Most of my PCs that I have a lifeplan for end up dying after 2 hours and 1 minute played.  On the other hand, my other PCs end up being strange things like pickpocket/bards in a hunting clan or ranger/nomads serving as aides in a city clan.

What'd be kind of neat is if you actually chose your guild/subguild after a year played.  This would simplify the chargen process and partly address some of the ideas in this thread!
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Quote from: nauta on February 21, 2015, 10:03:57 AM
What'd be kind of neat is if you actually chose your guild/subguild after a year played.  This would simplify the chargen process and partly address some of the ideas in this thread!

Cool idea...

To add: maybe if you were in a clan at the time, you'd have access to an additional set of clan subguilds that were more reflective of the lifestyle.  Things like a "soldier" subguild, or a "slaver" subguild, or a "House hunter" subguild, or a "sifter" subguild, or a "field physician" subguild.  Just slightly different and unique variations on the existing subguilds that would render your character unique.

Note: I've read that it's hard for the staff to change your subguild, so that's why it's disallowed after chargen even if you've made a mistake.  Maybe adding a subguild to a non-subguilded character is an easier process since you don't have to extract the old subguild first.
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

I like the premise but not the actual suggestion. I do think long-lived clannies do deserve perks of some kind or another but I think we should gravitate away from skills and think a bit more meta.

Jingo would be totally cool if long lived lieutenants got some ewww shiny powerups like copper weapons, supr specialized gear and maybe differently echoed combat styles etc.

I could also see combat skill -boosts- handed out via rank as well.

In general though, I'm not happy with the status quo as it is. It's too damn easy to get good at fighting just by leaving the city to hunt. Realistically anyone with specialized combat training should be able to trash even a big-game hunter.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

February 21, 2015, 04:09:47 PM #22 Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 04:11:35 PM by Harmless
I strongly approve of this idea.  It would help being clanned have the allure that it should.  Also when you end up in a situation you -never- foresaw when you rolled up your PC, skills that would be used every day could be eventually developed.

Quote from: Suhuy on February 21, 2015, 02:53:31 AM
I think this is a great idea and would serve as a coded, IC example of what makes people in clans more superior. It would give them the edge that in game terms they should have, but when it comes to playing almost never do. A Borsail Wyvern should be a more skilled swordsman than some random indie hunter, but the coded reality is if the Wyvern doesn't have anyone to spar with the indie hunter will always be the more superior fighter.

This is an excellent idea for basically all the reasons above. Think it would be a huge plus to going for clanned, and make being clanned something people actually compete for again. I see no downsides. +100.

Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

February 21, 2015, 04:57:12 PM #23 Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 05:01:34 PM by Fujikoma
Truth is, if staff catches that indy hunter twinking too badly, they might just have some rather "unfortunate" rolls, meanwhile, Amos the ruf circle machine can train his skills in relative safety. I agree that clans should get perks, I do not agree with the "always superior" notion. Clans are already far too powerful and untouchable socially as it is, they do not need to be more codedly powerful, in my opinion... that said, I -would- like to see skill additions in the event that someone actually fails at a skill -enough-, such as, enough RL months spent as a pickpocket or merchant trying to pull someone out of a fight, say with a low cap around high jman/low advanced, that could, eventually, be learned like a language skill (ever tried increasing these? It's a pain if you don't start with them in your skill list, especially when there's no one to practice with).

I'd think skills you can't perform without the skill in your skill list, like hide/pick/crafts/etc. would eventually, over IG years, be picked up, if you watch/scanned/listened long enough to actually observe what's going on when someone else fails a skill-check, but I don't see any reason for it to be restricted to clans, unless the power of clans to ruin plots for indies is downgraded dramatically. As it is, the odds are stacked heavily in favor of clans, if this is not working, I don't see how yet more "perks" are going to do anything to "fix" the situation for more than a handful of players who play for the already present perks. The reason clans aren't attractive isn't that there aren't enough perks, it's that there's not enough leeway to explore your character concept fully, and not enough say how much free time you get, or what you can do with your free time.

EDIT: Also, pay raises for clans. Seriously, the economy needs some major trickling here. It'd be nice if houses bought materials from independents or others from other clans more often. As it is, depending on the clan, some of the rules on how you can make and spend money are pretty stifling, considering the pay is barely enough to afford drinks over an extended period of time, much less an apartment.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

Clans are untouchable and too powerful -- as opposed to? Almost every clan in-game is a hundreds (and sometimes thousand+) year old organization, with all the experience, power, and support that garners.