Elf racial running

Started by MeTekillot, February 09, 2015, 01:12:07 PM

And a dwarfen one.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

I think elves get no benefits from their tribes, and they get the detriments. Say I was in a clan that -could- hire elves, I'd wonder if it was a scam by your tribe. And obviously you were never going to be loyal to -us- with your tribe there.  Unless you were the old cliche last survivor but I wouldn't believe that story anyway because elf.

Practically speaking with C-elves...

The problem is all c-elves have no common ground with each other. The way the docs are, Tribes come first... but theirs NO basic / vanilla tribes native to each city for players to use in backgrounds... Thus -every- player with a c-elf starting outside a clan (all of them) already has the hurtle of having to convince Y c-elf to join up and slide into X's goals and tribe. It fucks up interaction and makes it very awkward initially to the point where Tribal RP is skirted for the sake of just being able to Roleplay with another c-elf that you managed to find after 2 fucking RL months of gameplay...

Else if you want to just keep being indie and rogue, which is fine too and in that case you're probably a c-elf rogue gicker.

Also if half the ppl posting in this thread have played a c-elf and survived for a stretch within the last 6 months, we'd have a new clan for c-elves...) Srsly. Where the hell are you people? I'm sick of trying to be the change and reading this bullshit on the GDB.
Czar of City Elves.

You wouldn't have a new clan. Afaik, the only new player-run clans currently allowed are Merchant Houses. You gonna make House Necker?

If someone did a tribal elf clan rolecall people would probably be all over it, just saying.

February 14, 2015, 04:19:34 PM #180 Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 04:24:34 PM by Dresan
As I've said before, I think all c-elves need is to be brought back in line with dwarves and half-elves.

I would utterly hate to see another staff supported elf-only tribe or clan (and you would need more than one in each region, one for tuluk, one for allanak, not to mention the rinth would also need one as well). These just do not work and I find them detrimental in the same way two clans which are practically the same clan that happen to sell different products, would compete with each other for the same type of player. Instead of being in the same clan and enjoying interaction which each other, no two groups of players doing the same thing in different compounds. Which often ended up in one clan was booming, the other clan suffered in lack of players. Even if we had 200 or 300 players, the result would play out the same, one clan would have a majority players due to better leadership the other would have very few. An all elf clan supported by staff would boom if people played elves, and would suck if people didn't. There would be no way to get rid of them or compete for players or get deeply involved with them if you didn't originally role an elf.

Player-run clans and organizations do not suffer from this, you can compete with them for jobs or employees, get rid of them, hire them, join them,etc etc. Furthermore there is nothing in the docs that keeps c-elves from joining or creating organizations/clans while still having virtual or PC tribe/family on the side. This is called getting a job, which you can be proud of and happy to do and/or belong to but, for an elf it is still just a job, a human might put his job before his family, but an elf wouldn't. The theft accept of the race makes them sound like bankers, trying to trick grandma and steal her house just because she's owns it and they don't. This might be a simple way of putting it all and there might be people ready to write an essay about how much more complex elves can be but there is really no need to over complicate things to the point the race becomes unplayable, boring or just plain isolating.

In short I think elves and the entire player-base will just benefit the most from continual support of player run clans and organizations. Again I don't believe there is any need to add elf-only, staff supported tribes or clans, especially ones that are as untouchable as the current staff supported clans.

As I've said before though what I do believe they need is the ability to participate in those staff supported clans they can join. While Rathustra idea of making cities so damn exciting that players wouldn't even dream of venturing out of them is interesting to say the least. Ultimately though many of the byn and kurac events have been about leaving the gate and trying to get shit done somewhere away from home. This formula can be changes a bit more to allow more missions around cities, sure, but these clans are what they are. Therefore, the best way to bring elves back in line with dwarves and half-elves with the least amount of work or hassle is as others have mentioned to simply allow them them to ride. My human ranger is still practically a city person, who happens to visit luirs and redstorm once in a while, not sure how this would be different for elves who on top of everything aren't able to become rangers. I also like the idea of just letting them ride more then giving them ability to walk or run in the desert. Frankly, it is easier and would solve most if not all their problems.

All this said, I don't have any vested interest in city elves. I don't care that much if they are changed or not. It is just I rather not see, player-made groups and other clans suffer in membership, because everyone is suddenly rolling an elf to join a new clan full of benefits and staff love.

Never thought I'd see someone argue against a couple elf clans, but you guys will argue anything, apparently.

February 14, 2015, 04:49:43 PM #182 Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 04:51:17 PM by Dresan
Quote from: RogueGunslinger on February 14, 2015, 04:33:57 PM
Never thought I'd see someone argue against a couple elf clans, but you guys will argue anything, apparently.

Ahaha, yeah taking the time to express a difference in opinion on a forum designed for discussion, what was that guy thinking, lol. You know what, perhaps a generous dose of personal attacks and snide/snarky comments will make such unnecessary posts and arguments go away.  :P  

You were expressing an opinion. I expressed the difference of opinion.  ;)