Poet's Circle monopoly

Started by Marauder Moe, February 05, 2015, 01:27:31 PM

Quote from: Harmless on February 07, 2015, 09:44:12 AM
maybe it was the way you were performing? the content of your performances? some other aspect of your PC specific to you that caused that? I'm interested in how and why you saw that, but that isn't my experience... it's more about the bard than the circle I think, case-by-case.

Yes, well, look, it hasn't been a year yet. Inquiring into the details of my experience is not productive. Maybe should ask someone else who's had a similar experience?
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

I never thought of the Circle as a 'monopoly', more like a 'prestigious institute' sort of place where everyone who does barding/arts/etc wants to get in. 'Cos, you know, it's the -Circle-, with Circle bards training you and then you become a Circle bard and being a Circle bard is so much automatically better than other non-Circle bards.
I ruin immershunz.

Quote from: Fujikoma on February 07, 2015, 08:17:56 AM
I may be way out of line here, but I've always found 'the only elf in the city' treatment to be -way- out of line and far too common. It's why there's only one elf in the city to be harsh and uncomprimising with. With all the other limitations, this sort of approach pretty much almost insures that you don't have any to kick around anymore. It's pretty much a constant and it gets old after a while, especially when you see how well some of the elven NPCs in the Bazaar and the one running the shop out of the back of Red's are doing for themselves, without being hassled.

Oh I wasn't saying that it's appropriate! People should always try and consider the virtual world around them. Having something stolen from you could have been done by any of he hundreds of elves you'd be near on any given day.

Quote from: Rathustra on February 07, 2015, 05:29:20 PM
I may be way out of line here, but I've always found 'the only elf in the city' treatment to be -way- out of line and far too common. It's why there's only one elf in the city to be harsh and uncomprimising with. With all the other limitations, this sort of approach pretty much almost insures that you don't have any to kick around anymore. It's pretty much a constant and it gets old after a while, especially when you see how well some of the elven NPCs in the Bazaar and the one running the shop out of the back of Red's are doing for themselves, without being hassled.

Oh I wasn't saying that it's appropriate! People should always try and consider the virtual world around them. Having something stolen from you could have been done by any of he hundreds of elves you'd be near on any given day.

Yeah but you are 100 percent positive it must have been an elf. And sure, it might not be the next elf you see who stole your shit from you, but you 110 percent positive that it is only a matter of time before they get around to trying to steal from you anyways. And if that isn't enough, you are 120 percent positive that even if they didn't steal from you they must have stolen everything they have on them from another hard working human. 

Therefore, accusing the very next elf you see of theft is really just as good as finding the real elven thief. One less elf on the street is good progress. It just so happen that the next elf that catches your eye is probably going to be the nearest elven PC.  :P

Meanwhile the entire time you've been thinking of this your so called best friend Amos has manage to steal yet another valuable item from you. :-*

February 08, 2015, 02:22:21 PM #29 Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 02:27:57 PM by Fujikoma
Quote from: Dresan on February 08, 2015, 02:17:05 PM
Quote from: Rathustra on February 07, 2015, 05:29:20 PM

Yeah but you are 100 percent positive it must have been an elf. And sure, it might not be the next elf you see who stole your shit from you, but you 110 percent positive that it is only a matter of time before they get around to trying to steal from you anyways. And if that isn't enough, you are 120 percent positive that even if they didn't steal from you they must have stolen everything they have on them from another hard working human.  

Therefore, accusing the very next elf you see of theft is really just as good as finding the real elven thief. One less elf on the street is good progress. It just so happen that the next elf that catches your eye is probably going to be the nearest elven PC.  :P

Meanwhile the entire time you've been thinking of this your so called best friend Amos has manage to steal yet another valuable item from you. :-*

Indeed. Also, keep in mind that elves don't forget slights. If the elf didn't steal from you and gets away after you accuse them, they're likely to blame you for causing them trouble with the law, jeopordizing their livelihood, and almost getting them killed in the process. This kind of behavior is suicidal, because the elf will quite possibly make it their mission in life to ruin your livelihood and relationships doubly so as a consequence, especially if this -isn't- the first time its happened to them. Never underestimate your enemy.

EDIT: Seriously, though, the elf is bound to do this by the documentation on elven roleplay. If they don't do this then they're either not playing by the docs, dead, you somehow satisfied the elf, or this is the long calm before the storm. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but you -will- suffer, roundear.

Off topic...
"The church bell tollin', the hearse come driving slow
I hope my baby, don't leave me no more
Oh tell me baby, when are you coming back home?"

--Howlin' Wolf

Quote from: Down Under on February 08, 2015, 02:23:22 PM
Off topic...

Maybe a slight veer off topic, but it's applicable to the topic.

I can split the topic if people would like to continue discussing elves and elfing. Just let me know.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Quote from: bcw81 on February 08, 2015, 07:58:28 PM
I can split the topic if people would like to continue discussing elves and elfing. Just let me know.

Elves, elfing, and those who got elfed the fuck up, must be discussed, but the general opinion on the GDB seems to be fuck all elves, I mean, is discussing the topic even worth it?

Bard's don't have a monopoly...

And Bards are like those Hipsters with faux prison-ink tattoos they paid way too much money for...

A Warrener on the other hand...
Czar of City Elves.

Most people in the Circle that aren't born into it are from the Warrens.

The Circle moves to pressurise 'buskers' who don't tithe or join them because popular performers can be influential. Tuluk is not a free society. From the state's pov, why isn't this person wanting to join? Are they trying to give a subtle 'pluck off' to the powers that be? Are they trying to strike a chord of discontent? It's all about control.

I find it really difficult to believe that people can bear arms and do mercenary work inside of Tuluk like it ain't no thang but that the state is somehow insecure enough to want to 'control' low-class bar performers.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Quote from: Patuk on February 09, 2015, 08:50:44 AM
I find it really difficult to believe that people can bear arms and do mercenary work inside of Tuluk like it ain't no thang but that the state is somehow insecure enough to want to 'control' low-class bar performers.

Both major governments are that "insecure," as are all major groups in Zalanthas.  See:  profiling based on citizenship, accent, and clothing, clothing color affecting who one supports or pisses off, regulation on commerce and licensing of commercial goods, virtual enslavement of people with affinity to an element, execution of people with any sort of magickal prowess in some areas of the world, or hell--execution for just pissing off a person in power.

This is Zalanthas.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

I think any society that bans literacy is insecure.

--Howlin' Wolf

Quote from: Down Under on February 05, 2015, 01:30:12 PMIf you're performing in pubs and you're not a Circle performer, the Circle approaches you and asks you to audition, or cut out performing, or pay protection to them.

At least, that's how i've seen it. They create a talent pool by nudging people to either join the Circle, or they snub out their competition by making thinly veiled threats.

People who perform all the time after that point and don't pay a tithe to the Circle likely disappear. I've seen it more than once.
And people say Tuluk isn't brutal.

Quote from: John on February 23, 2015, 09:49:11 AM
Quote from: Down Under on February 05, 2015, 01:30:12 PMIf you're performing in pubs and you're not a Circle performer, the Circle approaches you and asks you to audition, or cut out performing, or pay protection to them.

At least, that's how i've seen it. They create a talent pool by nudging people to either join the Circle, or they snub out their competition by making thinly veiled threats.

People who perform all the time after that point and don't pay a tithe to the Circle likely disappear. I've seen it more than once.
And people say Tuluk isn't brutal.

Tuluk is a glorious and happy place where all of its citizens are patriots and serve His Light when duty calls, cultured and refined, above the need to torment its citizens, above murder, corruption and betrayal. Anyone who says otherwise conveniently disappears.

I hate Tuluki bards.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Helpful as always.

--Howlin' Wolf

I don't know, I've had the privilege of running across some pretty badass bards, at the right moments, to appreciate just how badass they can be. I guess I can understand why some don't like them, but shit, I've had a LOT of fun with bards. One day, I should likely try and play one, but I'd prefer to study the RP of existing bards a bit more first before jumping into that. Not naming names, but there's one in particular that continually makes me think about things and dwell on them a bit, although every bard I've encountered has made me think at some point or other.

Quote from: Fujikoma on February 24, 2015, 07:23:07 AM
I don't know, I've had the privilege of running across some pretty badass bards, at the right moments, to appreciate just how badass they can be. I guess I can understand why some don't like them, but shit, I've had a LOT of fun with bards. One day, I should likely try and play one, but I'd prefer to study the RP of existing bards a bit more first before jumping into that. Not naming names, but there's one in particular that continually makes me think about things and dwell on them a bit, although every bard I've encountered has made me think at some point or other.

Oh I think bards themselves can be badass in Tuluk, I've even been entertained by one or two. Bard performances (when not mere flowery 'look at meeeeeeeeeeeeee' ego masturbation) can even be moving.

What's completely alien to me is how on Zalanthas (read: in Tuluk) an entire group of commoners can be, without exception, snobby ass shits, especially when they allow lower class races in their Circles.  It's like bard and pretentious go hand in hand. I've seen this in ever bard since I've been back.

'But ShaL! That's not MY bard!!!!!! I don't play like that!!!!!!!!!!!'

To that I say, 'Unfortunate that I haven't seen YOU play and that you're the minority.'

Watch out Poet's Circle. My next one is coming your way.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Yeah, Shaleah, I've seen that ego and pretentious thing, and the "Look at MEEEEeeee" emotes, but, so far, I've been lucky enough that those have been the minority. I look forward to having my boots pried off my cold, dead corpse by your addition to the circle.