How to make stealing more fun

Started by nauta, December 16, 2014, 06:27:20 AM

Quote from: MeTekillot on January 06, 2015, 05:31:57 PM
Reintroduce trap and let me trap my worn containers to stab a dude with a poisoned needle.

Reintroduce trap and let me trap my worn containers

Reintroduce trap and let me trap

Reintroduce trap
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

trap buried artifacts
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Quote from: Riev on January 12, 2015, 01:32:36 PM
Reintroduce trap and let me trap my worn containers to stab a dude with a poisoned needle.

Reintroduce trap and let me trap my worn containers

Reintroduce trap and let me trap

Reintroduce trap

Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

Quote from: CodeMaster on January 07, 2015, 12:27:14 AM
I like both ideas.  Poison needle traps to thwart pickpockets sounds downright brutal -- in a good way.  You'd really have to have your hate on for pickpockets.  Qzzrbl's idea would be awesome; but it seems like it would be a relatively large coding project if done server-side, with hooks everywhere in the code.  Client-side I think it would be relatively straight-forward, in most cases.

I thought some more about what I suggested earlier, and I think an even simpler system might be something like the following:

You feel a hand in your belongings, but are unable to catch the culprit.
You catch a brief glimpse of the thief, who is wearing a bone-studded leather cap.

Your pouched belt feels lighter.
You catch a brief glimpse of the thief, who is wearing a dark, hooded cloak.

Just think about all the cool consequences:

Pickpockets would have a simple way to disguise themselves: if they know bits of their equipment are going to be revealed at random, they have a disincentive to wear fancy/unique items, and so better resemble a poor person (as they should).  They also have an incentive to switch what they're wearing every once in a while, to switch cloaks and hats and so on.

Repeat pickpocket attempts are implicitly discouraged, because they start to divulge more and more information to the victim.

Victims get a hint about who they should be watching out for.  So if they're in a room with five other people and one of them is stealing from them, they have a hope of being able to identify the (unhidden) pickpocket by using the 'look' command -- assuming the pickpocket isn't hidden.

i totally support this.