So what's out there?

Started by Forest Junkie, September 19, 2003, 01:00:18 PM

Just a question I have. Do Zalanthans see stars in the sky? And if so, what are some common thoughts as to what they are?

It's salt... and god's just waiting to eat us.

Hrm, sorry. But I too would like to know the answer as to if we even -see- the stars or not. I've understood the moons to be pretty bright so I would think that would affect our visibility of the stars, and considering the amount of dust that must be in the atmosphere would also hamper that visibilty, so maybe the stars are only visible on a hella clear night when both moons are down? That'd be crazy, I imagine the stars would be a much more important sight if that were the case.

Not to get too IC,
I recall one of my characters a long time ago seeing the stars in the sky.....

It was terrifing.

My take on it is that you can't really seem them.
Anf if you're standing out away from the lights of the city looking for them.......
you deserve to get eaten by the beastie that isn't looking up.

There are, indeed, stars in the night sky of Zalanthas.

I, personally, always imagined that the Zalanthan sky (Assuming it was a clear, dust free night) would be an amazing sight to behold. Most certainly there are stars, probably thousands of them (much more than your average American will ever see).

Having been to places where there is dry air and no light polution, All I can say is:wow. The night sky kicks ass.

As for what they think of them? Who knows. It likely depends on who you are, and how much education you have. Tribals might conisder them gods, Krathi might look at them like little bits of Suk-Krath, shining through the blanket of Drov, whereas a Liranthan Templar might actually be able to pick out planets from the various stars, and could chart thier movements across the heavens.
Tlaloc
Legend

One of my characters was a bard who had lots of stories about stars so I believe there are stars in the sky and that the lore with them would be immensely rich.

ShaLeah
-who imagines the twinkle twinkle little stars.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

I think these are OOC, but what the hell.

QuoteImmortals
---------
The glowing Nessalin Nebula flickers eternally overhead.
The constellation of Zhaira circles about the center of the sky.
A glimmer of starlight marks the presence of Sanvean in the west.
The constellation of Ixmachina circles about the center of the sky.
The constellation of Naephet circles about the center of the sky.
The constellation of Mekeda circles about the center of the sky.
The constellation of Vendyra circles about the center of the sky.
The constellation of Myrdryn circles about the center of the sky.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Quotemuch more than your average American will ever see
That's not saying much though.
musashi: It's also been argued that jesus was a fictional storybook character.

Originally there was nothing in the sky but Lirathu & Jihae.
Anything people are seeing up their is their own imagination, none of our weather messages indicate the precense of stars.

Tlaloc wrote:
QuoteThere are, indeed, stars in the night sky of Zalanthas

Nessalin wrote:
QuoteAnything people are seeing up their is their own imagination

Help I'm confused!

No confusion, Tlaloc=storyteller
Ness=Overlord, and as far as I know the one who can delete everyone else, I think that makes it pretty simple :twisted:
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Whelp...at least we got an answer... :roll:

Okay, so what's in the sky on a clear night? An empty expanse of blackness? Like the hearts of many an Allanaki templar?

Here comes an astronomer's answer for all of you people.  The planet arm is on is M class (yes folks that is not a star trek term it is a real class of planet term). Meaning it holds life but a piss poor place to live. Basically the planet is Mars if humans in the 2050's did a piss poor job of terraforming it. Like people said before, too much crap in the sky to see stars, but its not all from dust, its from the thick cloud cover.  Hot air raises cool air descends right? Well the heat kept within the planet keeps the moisture from the clouds falling to the ground yet because the sun itself is a red giant (hence dark sun) the light from the sun keeps the planet in a constant flux. This is also why the moons are so bright, because they reflect all this light from a close proximity sun. This is also the cause of the rampant sandstorms and partly responsible for the mutations on the planet. A sun emits radiation at close distances thus causing arm's wonderful diversity. The irony of it all is if the clouds in the sky some how magically dissipated it would fry and kill everyone on the planet. Well the star could nova or collapsed in on itself. Isn't space just fascinating?
nd god said "let there be light"
So well I bent over, let loose a big one and lit a match.
Want to hear how I helped god fill the oceans?

An intersting theory...

Heavy cloud cover would explain a lack of stars. On the other hand, the descriptions of Suk-Krath and the moons that I have seen don't suggest that they are obscured by anything other than sand; I've never seen a description that suggested that they are being obscured by a cloud like we have on Earth or any other planet. Also remember that the sandstorms are not raging all the time.

Nessalin's post leads me to believe that this is something that wasn't considered; all that they decided that was definately in the sky was the moons and the sun.

I like the idea of there being stars in the sky to see at night.

Simple theory: Zanalthas has an atomospheric composition of gasses that does not allow visability of stars, thus blocking their sight on even the clearest of nights.  That, or Zalanthas has more atmosphere and it reaches so far out  that even at the same composition of earth air it still blocks sight of those stars just as others gasses/pollution may hinder the sighting of stars here on earth.