Starving

Started by Kalden, September 19, 2003, 12:07:57 AM

I recently starved after I was lead into a room, then didn't realize that it was a building and thought I was locked in. There was a place to get food a few rooms away. I wished up a couple times asking for NPC help... and eventually someone told me I could leave. It was an OOC mistake.

Now, does starving permanently lower your endurance attribute? Seems like has for me, but it hasn't been that long since I ate.

Think I could get refunded on my endurance?

Nevermind.. I see my endurance has recovered.  :)

Quote from: "Help Files"

STARVATION  (General)  

On Zalanthas, starvation is on almost everyone's mind. If you go long enough without food, you will begin to grow weaker, will tire more easily, and will eventually perish. After a period of starvation, you will recuperate fully if you eat normally for a sufficient amount of time.

You can't trust any bugger further than you can throw him, and there's nothing you can do about it, so let's have a drink" Dydactylos' philosophical mix of the Cynics, the Stoics and the Epicureans (Small Gods, Terry Pratchett)

I think that starvation occurs rather quickly on Armageddon.  I'd like to see it taking longer, but effecting your stats over a longer period of time and taking some considerable amount of time to recover.  Hell' there's been times when it doesn't even say that I'm getting hungry or even Famished, although very rarely.  I remember it once straight up told me I was starving.  That's pretty quick notice.  It skipped straight to starvation when about two minutes ago I was thinking I was in decent condition.  Heh...I think it'd also be cool if your weights could, over an extended period of time, rise of fall based on how often you went hungry, or fed yourself well.

Speaking as someone who has had characters starve for days, you can keep going in Armageddon with very little food for a long time.  Starving is not like dehydrating.  It will hurt, but it will take a very long time to kill you.  If you have even a few scraps of food you can actually yo-yo for a long time, just don't freak out eat the second you see the words starving.  Watch and see what the actual effects are.  That said, if you need to be active starvation is a killer.  You can live for a very long time starving (think weeks) with almost no food, but don't expect to run any marathons.