Randomish Metal Thoughts

Started by RogueGunslinger, December 08, 2014, 06:12:30 AM

Yeah, if anything it's a bit of flair you see once in a blue moon that makes you go OOOO.

Kind of like a horse.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Why do you guys have to think of everything you don't agree with as complaining about the game? That's so irritating.

I think metal would be cool to see more of. That's it. That's all there is to it. I don't need to write a dissertation on why I think it would be cool. Your argument for making the worlds rarest and most powerful material into jewelry is laughable.

Why?

There's not that much of it.

Making a sword would be nigh impossible, which is what makes swords like Magekiller so frightening.

Small amount of metal? Make a ring! Or a cute little brooch.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

New dwarf focus: Murder nobility in order to take their rings and melt them down to make a sword.

Assassin/master weaponsmith
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

Because I entered the discussion at the last page, not your first post.  At that point, it had developed into a complaint rather than a random thought, because you'd already been put into the position of continuing a path of argument.  So, by appearance, to me, it appeared as if you were complaining about how you wanted to see more metal.  Looking back, yes, the original post was innocuous.

As far as my argument being laughable?  Clearly, that's a matter of opinion based off of your desire to see more metal.  At least mine is actually based on the game, and the fact that there's no one pushing for the acquisition of metal, which means the metal tools to find more metal faster aren't being made.  The people who want metal are not generally the ones swinging swords, and the ones who want it for swinging swords generally do not have the coin to outbid the ones who don't want it for swinging swords.  LAUGHABLE, GAWD.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I just can't imagine a bunch of people starting a war over a source on metal, just so they could turn it into shiny, pretty little things. That seems very un-zalanthan.

or make a dragon out of enough steel to outfit hundreds of soldiers
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Maybe it's some kind of golem?

I think it's just a big fuck you to the world, really.

~Jack Vance~

Put a dragon on it!

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Nyr on December 08, 2014, 03:05:43 PM
or make a dragon out of enough steel to outfit hundreds of soldiers

Lord Ian: This looks absolutely perfect. I mean it's, uh, the right proportions. It'll be this color right?
Dwarven Artisan: Yeah. Yeah.
Lord Ian: Yeah. That's...that's...that's just terrific. It almost looks like the real thing.
Dwarven Artist: You got it.
Lord Ian: When we get the actual, uh, set, when we get the piece, it'll...it'll follow exactly these specifications. I mean even these contours and everything?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMMy9t0TJNE
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

Noble signet rings are generally made of silver, right?  It's a very soft metal, not very good for weapons or armor.

Copper is usable for weapons, and was in ancient history.  It's better than stone weapons, though copper blades wear pretty quickly.

If you have a little tin, you can make bronze weapons which are much more durable than pure copper ones.

Quote from: Reiloth on December 08, 2014, 03:08:52 PM

Put a dragon on it!

Performing every night this week outside the west gates of Allanak from dusk til dawn!
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

That's what Allanak needs, magickal amplifiers and guitars, distortion pedals, and a drum set. Tuluk would be HORRIFIED. "That's, not, music! That's the sound of a Quirri getting mounted by a Gwoshi! ARG!"

THE DRAGON'S MUSIC.

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Fujikoma on December 08, 2014, 03:31:19 PM
That's what Allanak needs, magickal amplifiers and guitars, distortion pedals, and a drum set. Tuluk would be HORRIFIED. "That's, not, music! That's the sound of a Quirri getting mounted by a Gwoshi! ARG!"

There must be a "Fuji's Law" version of "Godwin's Law" wherein any discussion can be rendered "done" when it devolves into inter-species kanking.   ;D
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

... sorry guys, going to have to have a Krathi cut the tail off the dragon statue for the cymbals and highhats.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on December 08, 2014, 02:54:03 PM
Your argument for making the worlds rarest and most powerful material into jewelry is laughable.

The powerful folks who come to possess metal are less likely to need it as a weapon.  Some merchant doesn't need a whole sword that is going to bankrupt him, he needs a silver necklace, which is much more powerful to him, because it makes a statement, which to a merchant is more important that a single sword (and much less expensive).  Even more importantly, its about the volume of the stuff necessary to make a weapon vs something else.

I think the rarity is about right, but that is thinking about my entire time here.  We aren't the game where a Blackwing can run around Nak with a steel sword anymore, so maybe it is a little less that I'd like to see now, in terms of usuable non-noble/templar items.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

an Allanaki templar once gave a PC of mine a big chunk of iron ore because he implied to her that he was going to take her to the bone zone

he immediately went to Tuluk, sold it to a Jihaen for some obscene amount, and spent it all on a spice vacation and a fancy white hat

Ahaha I get it now Rathustra.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Quote from: palomar on December 08, 2014, 01:23:06 PM
I could be completely wrong, but it appears to me that metal weapons, and mostly armor too, have been more or less phased out of PC accessibility over the last 8 years or so. High ranked templars used to carry those things, and some of the super villains too, but they've been increasingly rare since the Copper/Gith wars. I wouldn't say I really miss that stuff, but seeing rare metal items that aren't part of the noble/templar setup is always cool.

Oh well, it's all about chopping things with bone swords anyway, isn't it? :)

I think this is more or less accurate. The last metal item I saw that wasn't a ring was Kija's sword.

I think rare items could be a way for staff to sprinkle rewards to characters who pursue plot goals even if the plot goals arn't always attainable. I remember all the copper items people got at the end of the copper war.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

I had my hands on a dagger that was bone or stone but had a mix of silver in it. I only mention it as it was probably a decade ago .... I think that's safe enough now to mention. It was an exciting time. My character died very shortly after acquiring it.
21sters Unite!

December 09, 2014, 09:09:15 AM #48 Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 09:18:29 AM by Ender
I had a character stored that took something like six or seven metal items out of the game as late as 2009.  Come at me RGS.

Also, metal is far more common than you are purporting.  Every noble and every templar in both cities openly wear metal items.  When I was thinking of the items I removed from the game I didn't count signet rings and templar medallions because I considered them too common.
man
/mæn/

-noun

1.   A biped, ungrateful.

2009 was a long time ago. And I'm assuming that character was a Templar.

Quote from: Ender on December 09, 2014, 09:09:15 AM
took something like six or seven metal items out of the game

So we have someone to blame, boys! Lynch him!