Way echoes

Started by Is Friday, December 07, 2014, 08:53:05 AM

December 07, 2014, 08:53:05 AM Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 01:27:12 PM by Is Friday
The idea is simple. Have using the Way fire off an hemote for the user.

You see...
You notice: The tressy-tressed woman's countenance glosses over briefly.

I think this will facilitate Way etiquette and create more opportunities for interesting play rather than have it be some separate part of our roleplay.

edit: Typo.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

If it happened only when activating the "contact" command I'd really like that idea. I'm not so sure I'd want to have to see the spam if my character had good perception and was in a bar with 4 or 5 people all using the Way, if it was tacked onto the psi command.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I like it. A lot.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

Nod.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

It would solve the problem with interogating people and them waying all their buddies in the militia that some crazy sharp has a knife to their throat because you could just stab them to stop it.

It'd also let me know if Fist soldiers are statues or persons, admittedly, persons with glossy countenances. 

Plus, you couldn't get away with waying while sexing any more.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Quote from: Fujikoma on December 07, 2014, 12:20:04 PM
It would solve the problem with interogating people and them waying all their buddies in the militia that some crazy sharp has a knife to their throat because you could just stab them to stop it.
One of the many reasons to have this.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: Is Friday on December 07, 2014, 01:27:42 PM
Quote from: Fujikoma on December 07, 2014, 12:20:04 PM
One of the many reasons to have this.

Yes, because then its actually possible to get to know what you want to know and send a message without having to kill them because, oop, suddenly everyone knows exactly who you are under that dark hooded cloak and grey facewrap.

I love the idea.

I see one minor balance issue is that it renders the noble Waying her three associates as she walks along a more vulnerable sap target; meanwhile, the assassin with hide isn't going to be affected as much.  Thus implicitly making hide a little more powerful.

Maybe the message would only show up if you're at less than 1/2 or 2/5 your stun?  Or, like Lizzie suggested, when you first make contact?  I.e., it would be cool if there were -some- way to hide the fact that you're using the Way, at least at master levels.
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

December 07, 2014, 03:58:55 PM #9 Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 04:02:50 PM by Fujikoma
Quote from: CodeMaster on December 07, 2014, 03:09:53 PM
I love the idea.

I see one minor balance issue is that it renders the noble Waying her three associates as she walks along a more vulnerable sap target; meanwhile, the assassin with hide isn't going to be affected as much.  Thus implicitly making hide a little more powerful.

Maybe the message would only show up if you're at less than 1/2 or 2/5 your stun?  Or, like Lizzie suggested, when you first make contact?  I.e., it would be cool if there were -some- way to hide the fact that you're using the Way, at least at master levels.

Have it require more scan/watch to see as contact goes up in skill?

EDIT: It would provide, also, a reasonable way to grind scan/watch without doing OOC things like wandering down Hathors and getting shanked.

I do my best to show when I am waying, with subtle hints, in emotes, hemotes in particular. An enforced hemote is fine with me, because I do it myself manually already. That is my opinion based on my playstyle, and yes, I think people should hemote when doing things like Waying. I think EVERY action deserves an emote sometimes.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Great idea.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

This is a damn fine idea.

December 07, 2014, 10:28:38 PM #13 Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 10:30:18 PM by KankWhisperer
Should also depend on how good you are with the way.

Also on mask.

As long as STEAL treats subdued victims just like sleeping victims. You should be able to unmask peeps.

Quote from: Is Friday on December 08, 2014, 09:56:15 AM
As long as STEAL treats subdued victims just like sleeping victims. You should be able to unmask peeps.

This isn't already the case? That's the kind of change that fits in "bug" territory, if you ask me. Yes, you should be able to steal things from someone who is subdued without triggering crim code (i.e., without resistance).
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

It's funny how I know all the answers to this stuff when I'm playing a soldier character, then immediately forget it later after said character dies.

I don't think you can strip a PC. I remember at one point having to OOC them to 'drop item'. While subdued. They can't remove it but they can drop it, even if it's worn.

You can steal a worn backpack from an unconscious character, so I assume you can do the same thing with a mask.

I do think you're right RGS in that you can drop a worn item while subdued. I swear the subdue code switches around on me every time I have to interact with it. Much easier to just loot bodies.

December 08, 2014, 02:23:41 PM #18 Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 03:02:35 PM by CodeMaster
Is it that "nosave steal" doesn't work, or that you can't steal while you have someone subdued?

[edit: looks like it's "nosave theft", shoulda checked]

Can't steal while subduing someone. Can't steal shirts/armor/packs and things unless the person is asleep, in my experience, but that might just be from lack of trying. Not sure how nosave steal works for that.

Ideally you'd have two people for this.

Anyway, this is off topic.

TALK ABOUT WAY ECHOES OKAY?

I don't know if barrier needs one (maybe their pupils widen a little). Expel would be neat though, complete with a gruff grunt, as if constipated.

Here's another idea -- what if it showed up in 'assess -v' when someone was using the Way?

That way the person trying to sniff your way status has a chance of being caught in the act, too.

I'd rather people use hemotes if they want those around them to know they're using the way, otherwise I'd rather the way have no outward signals.
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Why?

And no, I do not like the idea.

Mostly because it is a blanket idea...Oooh...EVERYBODY has this exact same reaction/tell when using the way...blah.

I already give tells when my PC is low skill at the way, but at high skill they start to go away, at master I consider breathing to be more taxing then using the way.

And even if such a boring blanket bit of code was put in, I would have to fight for, at advanced and above there is no emote/semote/hemote to detect.

Oh, and don't forget, you would also need a deception skill then.

The only good thing I can think of this idea is how much fun I would have hemoting the way echos in order to fool people and make them paranoid. The only people who should know when a PC is waying is the PC, whoever he is waying and mindbenders...assuming they can do such a thing.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job