How to get Started as a Merchant?

Started by Bwup, October 28, 2014, 04:06:23 PM

I am a new player who has recently made a character that is a merchant and I am wondering how I can get started.

What are your goals, what is the direction that you want to get started in?
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

I'd recommend for a new merchant to look into the Merchant Houses

http://armageddon.org/help/view/Merchant%20Houses

Depending on your characters race/location/status. Look for hiring yourself out as an assistance or aide. Rich people tend to have them. Noble houses, templarate etc.

http://armageddon.org/help/view/Allanaki%20Clans

http://armageddon.org/help/view/Tuluki%20Clans

I'd personally if able highly recommend looking at the merchant houses, if looking at a crafting route starting out.
21sters Unite!

Quote from: Bwup on October 28, 2014, 04:06:23 PM
I am a new player who has recently made a character that is a merchant and I am wondering how I can get started.

Welcome to the game Bwup!

As a Merchant, I'd advise finding and joining a Merchant House, Kadius, Salarr or Kurac. Those will have plenty of staff support, as well as awesome players to help you learn your way and get started.
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

Quote from: Molten Heart on October 28, 2014, 04:23:50 PM
Well I am hoping to just become a general travelling merchant, but I'm still not sure what choices are available to me

Quote from: Kol on October 28, 2014, 04:26:23 PM

As a Merchant, I'd advise finding and joining a Merchant House, Kadius, Salarr or Kurac. Those will have plenty of staff support, as well as awesome players to help you learn your way and get started.
Thanks for the welcome.
How exactly should I go about joining a Merchant House?

Quote from: Bwup on October 28, 2014, 04:35:55 PM
Well I am hoping to just become a general travelling merchant, but I'm still not sure what choices are available to me

Thanks for the welcome.

Couple of ways, check the rumor boards in the taverns and see if they are hiring. If they are there's usually a contact name that you could Way. If not sit in the taverns and talk to people who come in, one could be a member of a GMH and they could get you in contact with someone that could interview/hire your character.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on October 28, 2014, 04:40:14 PM
Quote from: Bwup on October 28, 2014, 04:35:55 PM

Thanks for the welcome.

Couple of ways, check the rumor boards in the taverns and see if they are hiring. If they are there's usually a contact name that you could Way. If not sit in the taverns and talk to people who come in, one could be a member of a GMH and they could get you in contact with someone that could interview/hire your character.
Alright thanks

I'm assuming that you mean that your character has merchant for their guild.  The two sides of the merchant guild are crafting and haggling.

Starting out you'll want to find a way to have enough food and water.  This is easily done by joining a clan or getting some other job like working for a templar (or in Tuluk becoming a partisan).  Most employers provide for food and water, or at least give you money to pay for these things but you're a merchant and money is kind of your thing.

I'd suggest you find something you can make money doing right away, crafting or buying something cheap and selling it for more somewhere else.  When it comes to crafting, most forage for their materials or hire someone to do the material "grebbing" and they pay them for those materials.  Staring off it's hard to know what material are good to make things that will sell well.

Most of your money at first will come from selling to merchant NPCs.  If you want to sell to player characters, you may have trouble finding or making something that's in demand, or you can become a merchant for a great merchant house and sell (and make) a lot of cool stuff.  They will even train you.  If you want to have a less difficult time starting out, I'd recommend checking the rumor boards where you are look for merchant houses that are hiring and contacting them about a job.
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Don't be afraid to seize other opportunities if they arise. You may end up an aide to someone powerful, or a spy or something unexpected. Don't beafaid because the word merchant isn't attached.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Also remember there's a Helper chat on the main website!
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

Or there's always the alternative: Go scrab hunting. Ding. Roll up a ranger. (don't do this it's very bad)

I personally played mostly combat PCs before rolling up a merchant, when I realized, finally, that most of the time I'm hardly using my coded skills, I decided then why not at least explore this other guild... I can't say more without revealing who I might or might not be playing. Joining a merchant house is a smart idea. Or, you could have quite an interesting time figuring out things on your own (not recommended, but I'm stubborn as can be) and living on your wits alone. I'd recommend more experience with the coded side of things and the way the game world reacts to certain actions or inactions before jumping into playing an independent merchant, at least, if succeeding at things is your goal.

If you go it alone, you're going to have to find ways to get coin to get your materials, or just, get the materials. It's also possible some hunter or other merchant would think you'd be useful, and provide you with materials and advice.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword