Let's restrict banking services

Started by Brytta LĂ©ofa, October 12, 2014, 12:56:07 AM

I use the bank all the time, because my apartment weightlimit won't allow anymore coins, and I need to stay unencumbered for those sweet combat bonuses.

Quote from: MeTekillot on October 12, 2014, 06:40:21 PM
I use the bank all the time, because my apartment weightlimit won't allow anymore coins, and I need to stay unencumbered for those sweet combat bonuses.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: Patuk on October 12, 2014, 04:10:38 PM
I liked Desertman's banking idea better.

I would post the link again but I promised Nyr I would only bump it once a year and it isn't time yet.

Still, thanks.  :)
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Quote from: Desertman on October 12, 2014, 08:31:52 PM
Quote from: Patuk on October 12, 2014, 04:10:38 PM
I liked Desertman's banking idea better.

I would post the link again but I promised Nyr I would only bump it once a year and it isn't time yet.

Still, thanks.  :)

Did he mean this one: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,42707.0.html ?
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

I want non-global accounts, bound to each city/branch, and I want fees, and I want the ability to store items for even bigger fees.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

I do like the idea of Tuluk having it's own currency. It being the same as Allanak makes it seem like they are stilled ruled by Allanak. I've always wondered why they still use Allanaki coins.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

It was a coding and playability headache. They used to have their own currency.

Could just call them nenyuk's nuggets...
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Quote from: Harmless on October 12, 2014, 11:11:38 PM
I want non-global accounts, bound to each city/branch, and I want fees, and I want the ability to store items for even bigger fees.

Well, this last one is already possible.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

store a container then. storing one piece of jewelry at a time and being forced to hold onto a ticket is not something I have ever used
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

This seems like a big development project to undertake, with some of the least bang for your buck (see what I did there?) I can think of...

Is the status quo optimal?  No probably not, but that doesn't mean precious development (especially coding) time should be dedicated to fixing something that's really not that big a deal.  I think if we're focusing on tweaking things in the economy, there's A LOT more to do before you get around to banking.

Quote from: nauta on October 13, 2014, 01:08:28 AM
Could just call them nenyuk's nuggets...

Or this. I still think it is a little unrealistic that a fully functional City State like Tuluk would succumb to using their past aggressor's currency. That would be like the United States using the British Pound. Or the Netherlands using the German currency. I just think after all this time and with the current hostilities Muk Utep would put an end to using their coins. Granted I understand the hassle it can be with different currencies and exchange rates and such from a coding and management aspect. So maybe a unified Nenyuki currency would be more appropriate.

As long as it wasn't retconned. Maybe Nenyuk just starts the process and it's reflected codedly by everybody either getting huge chunks of obsidian if they decide to keep their old money, and keeping their cons and having them renamed to Nenyuki pieces if they decide to exchange.

I agree with the renaming currency bit. It makes no sense that Tuluk uses these coins. With Nenyuk being the merchant House they are, they would have already done this. A quick IC reasoning for the simple restring of a few lines in code? Tuluk has put pressure on Nenyuk to make the change, behind the scenes.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on October 14, 2014, 08:47:19 PM
I agree with the renaming currency bit. It makes no sense that Tuluk uses these coins. With Nenyuk being the merchant House they are, they would have already done this. A quick IC reasoning for the simple restring of a few lines in code? Tuluk has put pressure on Nenyuk to make the change, behind the scenes.

I somehow doubt this would amount to a few lines of code.  I'm guessing it would be an enormous amount of work.

I mean, you could just rename the "pile of allanaki coins" item.

Quote from: MeTekillot on October 14, 2014, 11:58:42 PM
I mean, you could just rename the "pile of allanaki coins" item.

Totally.  But if there are TWO sets of currency now instead of just one, undefined currency, then it would be a lot of work.

Switching over to a neutral nenyuki currency would be sweet.

They could always change the 'allanaki coins' desc and also the fact Tek's face and I think a Jade Cross are on the faces of the coin.

Then again, obsidian mostly comes from Allanak, so maybe they're the only ones with enough to make currency in enough quantity for it. I think the actual 'mints' which produce the coins belong to the Allanak Templarate, not Nenyuk... but I could be very wrong on that.

Tuluk could switch over to their own, maybe wood-based currency I guess, but I can see a lot of coding work going into making a second form of currency workable.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on October 14, 2014, 08:47:19 PM
Relevant portions bolded. Change the description of the coins, not adding a second currency, though I'd be fine with that too.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: BleakOne on October 15, 2014, 01:33:44 AM
They could always change the 'allanaki coins' desc and also the fact Tek's face and I think a Jade Cross are on the faces of the coin.

Then again, obsidian mostly comes from Allanak, so maybe they're the only ones with enough to make currency in enough quantity for it. I think the actual 'mints' which produce the coins belong to the Allanak Templarate, not Nenyuk... but I could be very wrong on that.

Tuluk could switch over to their own, maybe wood-based currency I guess, but I can see a lot of coding work going into making a second form of currency workable.

Wood currency would be worth more in allanak wouldn't it?

Don't fix a symptom, fix the problem.  The problem is the economy is out of whack, and the gritty live by the skin of your teeth life if you aren't courageous, manipulative, or connected enough to be owned by a rich and powerful House or Noble still really isn't there.  The simple, sad truth is almost none of my PC's have had any motivation about coins, and, most other characters seem utterly disinterested in material bribes unless they are fresh out of chargen.

This is a pity.

Making changes to banking is something we've discussed officially recently (within the past month).  Some of the ideas here are actually in the proposal, which itself is pretty fleshed out with some neat concepts.  However, it does require some code work, and that is the bottleneck.

Overall currency discussions have also been had, but not officially.  Yes, it may be unrealistic for Tuluk to use what is ostensibly an Allanaki currency.  It will be up to staff to determine how far to go with any adjustments to currency.  If possible with code, multiple currencies could be neat; this is one of the Armageddon Reborn ideas that might eventually make its way into the game.  However, that also would be a significant amount of work to mesh multiple currencies into an economy, and that's just on the code front!
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

October 15, 2014, 01:07:31 PM #47 Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 01:10:36 PM by Case
Quote from: Nyr link=topic=48192.msg848664#msg848664Yes, it may be unrealistic for Tuluk to use what is ostensibly an Allanaki currency.
I dunno about that. It's an unbacked currency of the dominant economy in a small region predominantly operating a mercantile economy. Tuluk don't have to expend any effort to mint coinage/maintain supply while being able to freely engage in trade without competed rates of exchange or fees. The coins are also obsidian, in a world without the production line or machining, so I doubt the minting process is much cop :D

Countries do this in modern times, esp with USD.

Source: I'm a Jew

October 15, 2014, 02:35:59 PM #48 Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 02:38:25 PM by bcw81
Quote from: Case on October 15, 2014, 01:07:31 PM
Quote from: Nyr link=topic=48192.msg848664#msg848664Yes, it may be unrealistic for Tuluk to use what is ostensibly an Allanaki currency.
I dunno about that. It's an unbacked currency of the dominant economy in a small region predominantly operating a mercantile economy. Tuluk don't have to expend any effort to mint coinage/maintain supply while being able to freely engage in trade without competed rates of exchange or fees. The coins are also obsidian, in a world without the production line or machining, so I doubt the minting process is much cop :D

Countries do this in modern times, esp with USD.

Source: I'm a Jew
A lot of people in Tuluk have called the coins out due to their origin in completely IC ways, but at the same time still used them. Tyant Scales, ect. For the time being, it can stay like that.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

QuoteA very, very simple proposal: make Nenyuk refuse to handle account balances of less than 5000 sid.  Poorer people have to carry all their money with them.

Any downside?

Downside is simple. People will simply grind that first 5k out soon as they can  then grind out the next 5k so they have 5k to work with...essentially changing nothing.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job